Burkini patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK-421

Winger
Wasn't sure whether this should be on the regular SMB or the politics bit but I guess the mods can move it if they like.

People seem to think I'm right wing on here, which is probably fair enough. But what I'm not is totalitarian or particularly authoritarian. This Burkini patrol being carried out on French beaches by teams of policemen is making me rather uncomfortable. Surely this is the opposite of what the free west is supposed to be like.

Whilst I have many, many qualms with Islam and it's place in the west (and even certain Islamic wear, going round in squads like bully boys telling perfectly peaceful women to change their clothes is surely wrong and a complete imposition on freedoms.

Just wondering if anyone else is as disturbed about this as I am or whether you good people think this is a reasonable response to recent events on the continent?

Don't understand why the French are only picking on them.

Surfers and divers in full body wet suits are still allowed on the beach. My medication makes my skin sensitive and more at risk of skin cancers, so I wore long floaty dresses to keep the sun off my skin on holiday. I'd be allowed to wear those on the beach. Nuns in full habits are allowed on the beach. Lady in a burkini, nope banned because you're a Muslim. It's kind of worrying considering they're probably all just normal women wanting to spend time having fun on the beach with their families.

Surfers and divers in full body wet suits are still allowed on the beach. My medication makes my skin sensitive and more at risk of skin cancers, so I wore long floaty dresses to keep the sun off my skin on holiday. I'd be allowed to wear those on the beach. Nuns in full habits are allowed on the beach. Lady in a burkini, nope banned because you're a Muslim. It's kind of worrying considering they're probably all just normal women wanting to spend time having fun on the beach with their families.
Agreed becs. I think the difference is that they're going after those with the hood bits that cover the backs and tops of their heads. Something is going seriously wrong in Europe

Would I have chose to ban the Burkini? No. It's not a security issue, nor does it obscure the face - so the (valid) arguments regarding banning the Burkha don't really apply here. Can't really get my head round this policy tbh

Mind you I'll never understand why the most militant of feminists crumble in the face of Islam, and prefer to defend the right of those who choose to wear it - rather than the many who are instructed to by their husband.

I guess it comes down to which you think is more important....

Burkini's are design to conceal AK45's though, they're a right nuisance...

Wasn't sure whether this should be on the regular SMB or the politics bit but I guess the mods can move it if they like.

People seem to think I'm right wing on here, which is probably fair enough. But what I'm not is totalitarian or particularly authoritarian. This Burkini patrol being carried out on French beaches by teams of policemen is making me rather uncomfortable. Surely this is the opposite of what the free west is supposed to be like.

Whilst I have many, many qualms with Islam and it's place in the west (and even certain Islamic wear, going round in squads like bully boys telling perfectly peaceful women to change their clothes is surely wrong and a complete imposition on freedoms.

Just wondering if anyone else is as disturbed about this as I am or whether you good people think this is a reasonable response to recent events on the continent?
The French are asking for trouble with ridiculous laws like those. IS are desperate to divide communities and this type of act plays straight into their hands.
I'm fairly right wing but im very uncomfortable with this.

Would I have chose to ban the Burkini? No. It's not a security issue, nor does it obscure the face - so the (valid) arguments regarding banning the Burkha don't really apply here. Can't really get my head round this policy tbh

Mind you I'll never understand why the most militant of feminists crumble in the face of Islam, and prefer to defend the right of those who choose to wear it - rather than the many who are instructed to by their husband.

I guess it comes down to which you think is more important....
I agree mate, that's why I added the caveat that I do have problems with some Islamic wear. But this specific policy seems mental and very totalitarian/authoritarian to me

I'd have thought it's the head bits they are against rather than the body coverage.
Upto the French I guess Altho it seems a ballache patrolling the beaches looking for them

Sunderland supporters and nuns haven't got previous for having bombs hidden under their floaty dresses or habits. These women not being allowed to wear Burkinis are being punished for other people's actions, but we currently live in scary times.

Some people can't get into a nightclub because they're labelled a thug because of hair loss or tattoos, some Muslim's can't currently go to the beach in their preferred swimwear. There's other places to go.

Sunderland supporters and nuns haven't got previous for having bombs hidden under their floaty dresses or habits. These women not being allowed to wear Burkinis are being punished for other people's actions, but we currently live in scary times.

Some people can't get into a nightclub because they're labelled a thug because of hair loss or tattoos, some Muslim's can't currently go to the beach in their preferred swimwear. There's other places to go.

they could just as easily blend in with a bikini and carry a bomb in a beach bag

the policy is no use at all

Other beaches?

its not some muslims though - its everyone wearing a burkini

the manufacturers have said that one of their biggest customer groups are women who have suffered from or show a predilection towards skin cancer

These people are'nt likely to be terrorists, yet French police would appear to profile them as such

The French are asking for trouble with ridiculous laws like those. IS are desperate to divide communities and this type of act plays straight into their hands.
I'm fairly right wing but im very uncomfortable with this.

Nail on head. It's a vicious circle and a downward spiral.

ok. jeans and a long sleeved tshirt and carry a bomb in a bag

if anything wearking a burkini draws attention to them. I I wanted to commit an act of terrorism then the best thing is to wear something where you wouldnt stand out

Striped jumper, a beret and a string of garlic?

its not some muslims though - its everyone wearing a burkini

the manufacturers have said that one of their biggest customer groups are women who have suffered from or show a predilection towards skin cancer

These people are'nt likely to be terrorists, yet French police would appear to profile them as such
So you can't currently go to the beach because the government are trying to avoid dozens more people being murdered. They should just take it on the chin. The French could very possibly have had some Intel or found evidence about this type of attack being likely to happen this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back