You may call it a tin-pot trophy now - but would you be at Wembley 31st March 2019?

That's not right mind, the whole north and south section thing stops at the quarter final stage, so it is possible that we could play the mags u23 side at Wembley

I thought it went to a north final and a south final with the winner of both playing at Wembley? At least I thought that's how it used to work, see if the club had bothered to produce a programme the whole format and rules for the EFL Trophy could have been explained as its pretty confusing. For example, myself and nobody around me knew that the game was to go into penalties and that winning the shootout just gives you a bonus point. Good to know we could play the Mags at Wembley in the final in that case!

There is no gravy I can assure you. I am not looking down on these clubs just stating a fact. We are historically light years ahead of them in terms of size, trophys, fans and tradition. They know it themselves as owners, managers etc keep saying we will walk the league. We simply have far bigger fish to fry than f*cking around with this joke competition. In terms of the current playing side we are exactly where we deserve to be. I am fully accepting of where we are. As a club however our sole focus should be getting out of this division.
Past glories count for fuck all.

It’s the third most prestigious cup competition in English football. It’s the f***ing Football League that have fucked it over.

Let's give the trophy some perspective. Without Googling who can tell me who won last season's trophy?

And without reading theCheckatrade attendance thread

Lincoln?

Mind having said that, how many more could tell you who won last season’s Europa League?

Sure nobody would be twisting if we got to the final of that.

I'd probably go but I imagine it would be a massive anti climax. The night before the league cup final was so good because people were genuinely excited, there would be some trying to recreate it for this but it would be absolutely forced.

I take Methven's point about needing to accept we're in league one now but equally we have to remember that we are a big club. There's no reason to get excited about this tournament. For some clubs, Rochdale and the likes, this is the biggest cup competition they can realistically win, so you could understand then taking it seriously. For us, we should be looking to get out of this league and, eventually, back into a position where we can dream about winning an actual major cup (FA cup) or at least a league cup. I went yesterday, I'd turn up to Wembley, but I don't think those who are talking it down are being arrogant, it simply isn't a big cup for SAFC and never will be

Had there, why is this realistically the only cup Rochdale can win but not for us. All that matters is where we are now. And that’s the same level as Rochdale.

Had there, why is this realistically the only cup Rochdale can win but not for us. All that matters is where we are now. And that’s the same level as Rochdale.

Ha'way, do you honestly think SAFC will never get back to the Premier League, with the infrastructure we have and the fan base? We are obviously a much better prospect than Rochdale ffs. Generally speaking the "big" clubs that come down here go back up, maybe not first time of asking but it happens. If you think we'll likely be in league one forever then that's up to you but I'd say you're in a very small minority.

Looking into the next 20 years I'd say that a club our size should be looking to try and win the FA cup or league cup, those should be the tournaments we hope to win. I base this on the fact that we are likely to get back to the top flight. Rochdale have never been in the first or second division in their entire history. Given that, and the fact they don't exactly have a mint ground/ world class infrastructure to make them a sound investment, I think it's fairly safe to assume that the best they're likely to get in that time is into the Championship. Therefore this cup is always likely to be the best they can win.

Seriously, I get the whole "let's not be arrogant" thing but am I honestly having to try and convince someone that in the medium to long term this is not likely to be a major tournament for Sunderland in the way that it would represent a good success for Rochdale? Fuck me

I thought it went to a north final and a south final with the winner of both playing at Wembley? At least I thought that's how it used to work, see if the club had bothered to produce a programme the whole format and rules for the EFL Trophy could have been explained as its pretty confusing. For example, myself and nobody around me knew that the game was to go into penalties and that winning the shootout just gives you a bonus point. Good to know we could play the Mags at Wembley in the final in that case!

Think that's how it used to be but according to the regulations page on their website EFL Official Website -

5.1.3 Round of 16.

(ii) The round of 16 pairings are determined by means of an unseeded draw but on a regionalised basis (North and South). The League shall determine the placing of Clubs in each of the two regions prior to the draw.

5.1.4 Quarter Finals.

(ii) Quarter-final pairings are determined by means of an unseeded draw. There will be no regionalisation of the draw.

So if we avoid each other until the quarters we might then draw southern teams all the way until the final, then play the mags

Last edited:
Think that's how it used to be but according to the regulations page on their website EFL Official Website -

5.1.3 Round of 16.

(ii) The round of 16 pairings are determined by means of an unseeded draw but on a regionalised basis (North and South). The League shall determine the placing of Clubs in each of the two regions prior to the draw.

5.1.4 Quarter Finals.

(ii) Quarter-final pairings are determined by means of an unseeded draw. There will be no regionalisation of the draw.

So if we avoid each other until the quarters we might then draw southern teams all the way until the final, then play the mags

That's interesting to know, the whole format is daft and nobody really knows the crack. That said and done I want us to win the stupid thing and have a day out at Wembley

Well I read on here that all that matters is winning games, so surely the longer were in this competition the better?

Serious question. If we won it would you really feel any sense of pride? Being in a position where we are even playing in it is a stain on the clubs history. To celebrate winning it for a club of our stature is cringey as f*ck. We should be keeping our heads down and mouths shut and be looking at putting things right. Its a sad indictment of where standards have slipped to. WE ARE F*CKING SUNDERLAND MAN!! Not some tin pot all club. 6 times english champions!
What a magesque arrogant attitude

What a magesque arrogant attitude

Yep. Arrogant as f*ck me :rolleyes:

Ha'way, do you honestly think SAFC will never get back to the Premier League, with the infrastructure we have and the fan base? We are obviously a much better prospect than Rochdale ffs. Generally speaking the "big" clubs that come down here go back up, maybe not first time of asking but it happens. If you think we'll likely be in league one forever then that's up to you but I'd say you're in a very small minority.

Looking into the next 20 years I'd say that a club our size should be looking to try and win the FA cup or league cup, those should be the tournaments we hope to win. I base this on the fact that we are likely to get back to the top flight. Rochdale have never been in the first or second division in their entire history. Given that, and the fact they don't exactly have a mint ground/ world class infrastructure to make them a sound investment, I think it's fairly safe to assume that the best they're likely to get in that time is into the Championship. Therefore this cup is always likely to be the best they can win.

Seriously, I get the whole "let's not be arrogant" thing but am I honestly having to try and convince someone that in the medium to long term this is not likely to be a major tournament for Sunderland in the way that it would represent a good success for Rochdale? Fuck me

5.1.3 Round of 16.

5.1.4 Quarter Finals.

Youre wasting your time trying to get your point across to some of these numb f*ckers mate.

Most of those claiming it’s embarrassing we’re probably there watching South Shields claiming they’ve watched them for years. That’s embarrassing

Embarrassing to even be in it, let alone win it. We take the piss out of the mags winning the Inter two Bob cup but this is worse and I wouldn't want it on our honours list.

Our road to glory would include beating Stoke City Juniors on pens!

If it was in its proper format as a cup competition for the bottom two divisions I might take more interest but it's just f***ing ridiculous now
Agree with this like. It is a total farce of a competition these days, and is noticeably hated by just about all support from league 1 and 2.

Back