You may call it a tin-pot trophy now - but would you be at Wembley 31st March 2019?

Any tournament we enter wether it be tin pot or a stain on our history that we are even in it as one poster declared we would be stupid not to go all out for and I'm sure as hell I'd be at Wembley cheering the lads on till I'm hoarse. In the words of Charlie Methven we need to accept we are a league one team so why would we not be proud of watching the lads lift a trophy?

It’s got nowt to do with League 1. Separate competition mate.

We should hang our heads in embarassment that we are in the competition. I couldn't give a shite how we do in it, and should use it only as a series of useful fixtures to give injured/fringe players a run out. I will not be going to the final, all giddy to watch a Sunderland fringe team take on Bristol City U23s for the prize of 2 points to the winner.

I know we are in League 1, but we'll end up f***ing staying there if we, as some desire, fielding full strength teams and take niggles and fatigue into the league games, all because we wanted to win some rinky dink pub trophy? Would you take finishing 3rd in the league rather than top 2, but got you got your day out in London? I'd rather we rotated so that our best players were available for as many league games as possible.

Good post.

Let's give the trophy some perspective. Without Googling who can tell me who won last season's trophy?

And without reading theCheckatrade attendance thread

Last edited:
Let's give the trophy some perspective. Without Googling who can tell me who won last season's trophy?

And without reading theCheckatrade attendance thread

Lincoln. There was some controversy as Chelsea U-23s got to the semi finals and there was concern an U-23 team would win so they looked to change it for this season but the clubs voted to carry on as they did last season.

We should hang our heads in embarassment that we are in the competition. I couldn't give a shite how we do in it, and should use it only as a series of useful fixtures to give injured/fringe players a run out. I will not be going to the final, all giddy to watch a Sunderland fringe team take on Bristol City U23s for the prize of 2 points to the winner.

I know we are in League 1, but we'll end up f***ing staying there if we, as some desire, fielding full strength teams and take niggles and fatigue into the league games, all because we wanted to win some rinky dink pub trophy? Would you take finishing 3rd in the league rather than top 2, but got you got your day out in London? I'd rather we rotated so that our best players were available for as many league games as possible.
This.

This is a joke of a league but I still want to win the kernt.
Completely different. If you can’t see that then there is no hope for you.

I don't think I'd travel over for it,but then again I haventh missed a Wembley appearance in 28 years.

Yes,I went to all 3 of our Wembley appearances in that time.....

wont happen as the final will be the winner of the Northern section v the winner of the Southern section, my money on a Sunderland v Portsmouth final. With us pumping Newcastle U21's in the Northern section final, which is effectively the semi final from what I can gather

That's not right mind, the whole north and south section thing stops at the quarter final stage, so it is possible that we could play the mags u23 side at Wembley

Well of course, BUT, there are some people still getting to grips with where our club is. It's a slow climb back.
Fuckers laughing at a Sunderland football team winning a trophy at Wembley is embarrassing.
Fans know where we are ffs. Does ambition not exist now we're in league one? :rolleyes:

:lol: It’s not embarrassing for a L1 club to take part at all.
That what we are
How many league one teams have our history?

I think it was Methven who said that we cant act the billy big bollocks and need to accept where we are, respect our opponents and earn our way out of it. Being in this competition is very much part of where we are and if you find it 'cringey' then you clearly have not accepted where we are.

Don't be so bloody precious man. We are favourites for this and if we treat it properly could go a long way. Its an opportunity to be grasped. If you can't afford a Michelin star restaurant or even some decent pub grub, then you might just have to accept the odd McDonalds happy meal.....

You taking your wallet to the other side? I don't think they accept Sterling where your'e going.

Methven is talking out of his a*se tbh. His comments the other day were ridiculous regarding the mags. He is the one who wants to be accepting where we are. Hes taking a pop at a champions league manager who finished tenth in the premier league last year. This is what I mean about keeping our heads down and mouths shut and just getting the job done.

Glorified pre season games is how I see this competition.

In all honesty, would love to win it.

Wouldn’t even go to Wembley and I live 10 miles away.

Imagine finishing 3rd or outside the play offs due to a fixture pile up because of this dross or first team players getting injured because we have to play a minimum of 5 of them from the previous game.

If it was the old format for third and fourth division teams I’d give it the respect it deserves and hope we would win it.

Let’s hope we gone on to lose the next games and exit this nonsense as soon as possible.

Wouldn’t even go to Wembley and I live 10 miles away.

Imagine finishing 3rd or outside the play offs due to a fixture pile up because of this dross or first team players getting injured because we have to play a minimum of 5 of them from the previous game.

If it was the old format for third and fourth division teams I’d give it the respect it deserves and hope we would win it.

Let’s hope we gone on to lose the next games and exit this nonsense as soon as possible.
Spot on

Back