Worst place to live in Sunderland?

Have the Trotts all moved away now, like?
They/some of, used to be in Castletown, i.i.r.r., when I was asked back after the After Dark II. I declined.

Carley Hill's perfunctory and houses look like they're drawn by Mr Bean, but it seem fairly conciliatory.

Carley Road though - like Bin Laden's cave in Abbottabad.

Been reading this with interest as Ive been looking at possibly getting myself a flat back up home. Ive lived in Hendon, Millfield and Eden Vale (over 35 years ago) and always fancied having somewhere around Ashbrooke near Mowbray Park (when youre brought up in Hendon everywhere else looks like Kensington). Im looking at a flat or two whilst Im up at the weekend, so if anyone knows what St Bedes Terrace is like these days Id appreciate any feedback (good or bad).

Been reading this with interest as Ive been looking at possibly getting myself a flat back up home. Ive lived in Hendon, Millfield and Eden Vale (over 35 years ago) and always fancied having somewhere around Ashbrooke near Mowbray Park (when youre brought up in Hendon everywhere else looks like Kensington). Im looking at a flat or two whilst Im up at the weekend, so if anyone knows what St Bedes Terrace is like these days Id appreciate any feedback (good or bad).

The flats on the corner of Toward Road and Grey Road are nice. My daughter lived in one on the top floor for fourteen months and didn’t have much bother, other than the students following the postman round on a morning and thieving stuff from the post.

This was when the post was just left at the bottom of the stairs as they didn’t have individual boxes. The boxes are now in use but you can still take stuff out of them as the opening is too big, and my advice would be to put a framework inside the mail box so that someone can’t get their hand in and steal the post.

Other issues would be the positioning of the windows. A large window is nice in a living room but not so great in a bedroom. Equally the velum windows are borderline acceptable in a bedroom but a non starter in the living room. My preference would be one of the first floor flats rather than the ground floor and top floor.

Incidentally, given your comment about Kensington, the flats are called Kensington House!

The flats on the corner of Toward Road and Grey Road are nice. My daughter lived in one on the top floor for fourteen months and didn’t have much bother, other than the students following the postman round on a morning and thieving stuff from the post.

This was when the post was just left at the bottom of the stairs as they didn’t have individual boxes. The boxes are now in use but you can still take stuff out of them as the opening is too big, and my advice would be to put a framework inside the mail box so that someone can’t get their hand in and steal the post.

Other issues would be the positioning of the windows. A large window is nice in a living room but not so great in a bedroom. Equally the velum windows are borderline acceptable in a bedroom but a non starter in the living room. My preference would be one of the first floor flats rather than the ground floor and top floor.

Incidentally, given your comment about Kensington, the flats are called Kensington House!
Thanks for the reply. Im viewing a place on St Bedes Terrace and I read on here (after trawling through some really old posts) that the entire street had their car tyres slashed. Parking is a bit of an issue I think if you dont have access to the back of the property or have one of the garages.
The one Im looking at is relatively cheap although I know I could probably buy one of the new houses further outside of Sunderland for same. Was looking at something mainly for the weekend if and when I come back up for the games as I work away. I love the houses (and flats) around there, appreciate that St Bedes Terrace is actually Hendon and not Ashbrooke, beggars cant be choosers

Thanks for the reply. Im viewing a place on St Bedes Terrace and I read on here (after trawling through some really old posts) that the entire street had their car tyres slashed. Parking is a bit of an issue I think if you dont have access to the back of the property or have one of the garages.
The one Im looking at is relatively cheap although I know I could probably buy one of the new houses further outside of Sunderland for same. Was looking at something mainly for the weekend if and when I come back up for the games as I work away. I love the houses (and flats) around there, appreciate that St Bedes Terrace is actually Hendon and not Ashbrooke, beggars cant be choosers
I think it's in Christchurch mate.
The private fence is jumpable.

Tarred by Park Place and The Oaks I would think.

Housing alright, if sought style.

Fairly hacky gravel road in, I believe; Belle Vue as well, in this regard; or, one or the other.

I think it's in Christchurch mate.
The private fence is jumpable.

Tarred by Park Place and The Oaks I would think.

Housing alright, if sought style.

Fairly hacky gravel road in, I believe; Belle Vue as well, in this regard; or, one or the other.

Tarred? As in a bit shit? :) Its difficult for me as I havent lived up there for years. I always thought those streets were alright.. although they were all nearly privately owned houses rather than flats

Tarred? As in a bit shit? :) Its difficult for me as I havent lived up there for years. I always thought those streets were alright.. although they were all nearly privately owned houses rather than flats
Might not be inconceivable.
*Brush.

Check it out.

Alright housing and okay road in isolation, but might not be alright area: Park Place + Oaks just on the shoulder.

Speaking to my freind the weekend who lives in Eden Vale on that new estate .Hes put his kip up for sale and I asked him where he’s looking to go ,He said “I’m not bothered ,f***ing anywhere is better than round here”

It’s brutal like .

I raise you Argyle Square.

My mates mrs at the time rented a flat there in his student days. His neighbour from the doss house across the road broke in off his face and tried to burgle it despite my cousing being at home and trying to bundle him back out the door :lol:

There is some utter tarts on this thread mind :lol:

As if someone mentioned they wouldn't feel comfortable walking around Carley Hill at night :lol:

I lived there for 10 years and its like a peaceful oasis, just with shit houses and no pubs left

I was running through there the other week (not being chased by the coppers) and I was impressed by how smart those streets were compared to 20+ years ago. Same with Park Place, The Oask, Mowbray Close. Possibly still a couple of HMO's there, but on the whole they looked clean and tidy.

Last edited:
Eden Valeistan
Get your racial slurs correct you backward tit. My neighbours are all from Bangladesh.

Speaking to my freind the weekend who lives in Eden Vale on that new estate .Hes put his kip up for sale and I asked him where he’s looking to go ,He said “I’m not bothered ,f***ing anywhere is better than round here”

It’s brutal like .
Too many ‘closed curtains’ for your liking, there? That was your main objection, iirc.

My mam and sister (no and no) had a flat in the Elms. It was alright at first, then some mates of one of the Barneses moved in and the whole building went to shit. Doors left open all the time, people kipping in the hallways, and when they (these lads, not my mam and sister) finally got evicted they set fire to the flat.

People bag on suddick all the time and some places are rough but I’ve lived here all my life and not really had much trouble, only been broke into once for example. Lower suddick near the old school was a quality place to live when I was a kid in the 90s, I now live off Carly road in one of the newer well been up twenty plus years now but still newish streets and never had any issue at all, got nice neighbors either side of me and it’s a two minute walk to the sol quality.

Back