worst meal you've had at a restaurant

The pub next to soccerena and new ferens park

years ago now like but pap service wise this owld fat haggard wifey used to literally slam the plates down and give you daggers off you asked for condiments or owt :lol:

I remember about 25 years ago going on a drive to Barnard castle with my mate and her boyfriend.
After walking about for a bit we decided to go into a local cafe (sorry I can't remember the name) for some food.
We went to the counter and spoke to the wife who took our order, she then asked "bread?" ......she proceeded to whip out buttered bread from under the counter FFS 🤣 (uncovered, could have been sitting there a week for all we knew).
My mate and I were roaring watching her fella getting stuck into the bread, he didn't see what the problem was tbh.

Oh and Frankie and bennies next to the pictures in boldon. The pizza was the most bland, tasteless, expensive crap ever - yuck.

I remember about 25 years ago going on a drive to Barnard castle with my mate and her boyfriend.
After walking about for a bit we decided to go into a local cafe (sorry I can't remember the name) for some food.
We went to the counter and spoke to the wife who took our order, she then asked "bread?" ......she proceeded to whip out buttered bread from under the counter FFS 🤣 (uncovered, could have been sitting there a week for all we knew).
My mate and I were roaring watching her fella getting stuck into the bread, he didn't see what the problem was tbh.

Oh and Frankie and bennies next to the pictures in boldon. The pizza was the most bland, tasteless, expensive crap ever - yuck.

Frankie and Bennies was always so bad, that they must have been doing it in purpose in the end.

Place in Fuengirola that was on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares about 12 months later.

Old boke who owned it used to come and take your order dressed in some chicken outfit. Menu was about 8 pages long or summat stupid. What all five of us chose though was pretty grim, but it was the only place still serving food at 10pm (we hadn't long arrived previously).

Tenerife 2005 a beachside restaurant was literally microwaving us food and serving us at all different times, some getting starter as others were finishing their mains etc

Mambos in Ponteland the other week. Looked the real deal but food very poor for £60 each.
Surprised about mambos, we went a few months back and the food was superb.
Rib Room at Ramside, twice but only because 3 of us used to go out once a month and take turns choosing. Sirloin steaks were terrible, too much gristle.

We also tried the carvery and it was disgusting. Meat and pudding ok but veg was all sloppy overcooked.
We used to love the rib room but the last couple times we visited, the bait was shite.
Haven’t been for a few years now but heard loads of people say it’s still shite.

Last edited:

We used to love the rib room but the last couple times we visited, the bait was shite.
Haven’t been for a few years now but heard loads of people say it’s still shite.

I went to the soon after it opened and it was the best steak I'd had in a long while. I kept boring the wife telling her how good it was.
Every time I've been since the quality has dropped.

I've been to the rib room at Harwick hall as well, that is much better.

Place in Fuengirola that was on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares about 12 months later.

Old boke who owned it used to come and take your order dressed in some chicken outfit. Menu was about 8 pages long or summat stupid. What all five of us chose though was pretty grim, but it was the only place still serving food at 10pm (we hadn't long arrived previously).

That was Jack's Chicken Shack:

I've been to Fuengirola many times but never had the pleasure of eating there.

My rule of thumb is that the length of the menu is inversely proportional to the quality.

Might try again at some stage, maybe different chef etc but for the price especially it was very below par. They were out of pita bread, so gave us some toast essentially, the beef starter my mate had was horrendously uncercooked, then the surf and turf was just terrible for a number of reasons. Was so disappointed as it looked amazing when entering restaurant.

That was Jack's Chicken Shack:

I've been to Fuengirola many times but never had the pleasure of eating there.

My rule of thumb is that the length of the menu is inversely proportional to the quality.

That's the one. His family and staff bickering with each other all the time. Inside the restaurant was littered with junk but we were sitting at an outside table so didn't see it til we went for a slash.

Think it was ridiculously cheap too iirc. All the warning signs were there. :lol:

A KFC in Cyprus which was just bone and grease

Got taken to a seafood restaurant in Spain by a client where I couldn't eat anything on the plate. Went back to the hotel and ordered a burger.

I'm terrible for being very British and saying "Oh, it was lovely thanks. I just wasn't hungry" when asked how the meal was. The only time I've walked out without paying was a Sunday roast at a pub in Consett which was basically still frozen veg downing in gravy with a few scraps of meat.
what was wrong with the seafood?It sounds like you prefer beige and bland food like KFC,burgers and sunday roasts

I'll trigger the fanboys on here, but the service at The Scullery was f##king appalling the time we went. Food was fantastic though which is a shame.

The last time we went there a couple of years ago our food was cold - normally I'd send it back but we'd already waited ages for it so I ate it - we've never been back

The worst meal I've ever had was a lasagne La Palma airport - I had one mouthful and spat it out - I think I paid about 8 quid for it too

what was wrong with the seafood?It sounds like you prefer beige and bland food like KFC,burgers and sunday roasts

I just don't like seafood and shellfish especially. I'm OK with a fillet of tuna or salmon but not when the plate was full of mussels, sea urchins, clams and other aquatic creepy crawlies

Otherwise Spanish food is excellent. Could happily go on a tapas crawl without touching a burger or Sunday roast. Can't understand those who go on holiday and eat a roast with all of the trimmings while sweating in 40C heat.

The KFC was at the airport and the only thing available. I should have nibbled my boarding pass as it would have been more nutritious.

By the way, thanks for my first "disagree" notification.

Cant remember the name of it, but went to some proper trendy, swanky, hipster chain cafe in Islington with me ex a couple months back.

Everything on the menu was pretentious rubbish so I just ordered some wings (£12 for 8!). Wings were burnt on the outside and raw in the middle, and covered in the most revolting gunk I've ever eaten. Only time in my life I've ever left a plate of wings uneaten
Wetherspoons count? If so that by a mile, food there should be banned
Wetherspoons wings are class mind, especially with the sriracha dip 🤤

Last edited:
Another vote for Frankie and Bennies, can’t comment on the food because I didn’t get any.

walked in with 2 mates, got seated and asked for drinks, easy.
Waited 20 minutes for a drink, then a further 40 to be asked what we wanted to order, in an absolutely empty restaurant.
Waited another 50 minutes for a starter for my two mates given I only tend to have a meal and no starters.
By that point I’d given up told them to cancel my main course, paid up everybodies meals and left my 2 mates there and went to the pub.

A curry house on city road in cardiff at 2 in the morning.

Me and a mate pissed after a full day out, persuaded the waiters to let us in when they were closing.

Ordered Chicken Vindaloo and was served something which can be best described as muligtawny soup on a bed of rice, I think we completely ignored the "curry" and just had two cans of McEwans Export each before we toddled off home.

Probably the lion's share of the blame for this poor fayre should go to me and my mate tbf

Back