worst meal you've had at a restaurant

I don’t bother with 2 church lane anymore. Can’t get away with their potato buns. And just find it all a bit bland. The loaded fries were poor, just find the place average.

worst for service was funky Indian. Waited about 1hr 45 for our starters and waited another hour 15 before walking out but not before having an argument with the fella running it.

Shame that fat hippo in the bonded warehouse and papadoms in sunniside fucked off.

Went to The Place Cafe Bar in Silksworth Row one lunchtime a couple of years ago after reading glowing reviews, had a chicken curry and it was absolutely bland and tasteless, the chicken was hard and the chips were massive (more like quarter potatoes) and rock solid, clearly not cooked properly. To this day I still can't fathom out how anyone could manage to make a curry that didn't taste of anything. Might have just caught them on a bad day but haven't been back.

Had the misfortune of going to that Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet place on the corner next to the cinema in town, think it was called Mr Hu's or something at the time (previously called Louie Louie and Dozo I think). Absolutely disgusting food, we went around midday and they only had about 25% of the food on and that what they did have on was rank. Shredded duck was definitely not duck and the sweet and sour sauce was revolting. They even fucked the chips and fried rice up. It shut down not long afterwards, unsurprisingly.

Nothing specifically comes to my memory...

Been to loads of Italians where 1 person in a group of people will order a pasta main and it's something you could eat in 3 or 4 forkfulls (usually in them s*** pasta plates with the bump down bit in the middle where the pasta is placed), while everyone else each have massive pizzas...for the same price.

Places that just take forever serving you food. Went to Frankie and Bennys a few times in the last 5-10 years where we must have waited the best part of / or at least an hour for the food bringing over, coupled with the fact the staff looked miserable as all the time. Remember walking out once as a breakfast seemed to take an age (this was already after it took 25 mins to be asked what we wanted) and the manager tried to stop us leaving in a right foul mood. No wonder loads of them have shut down recently....utterly ***** chain.

Not really sure how people can complain about spoons food, to me it's just microwaved this and that which you accept probably won't be a 5 star meal at the point you order it, just there to satisfy some pint munchies.....

Last edited:
Knew the owners of Big Lukes. Told me that the average cost of putting on a plate of food was £0.79, so (I’m sure it was £8 all you can eat) it took 10 plates before they lost money (plus profit on drinks to swell down that lovely salty food) but the average person ate 2 plates (of sh.te). So, they made a healthy profit.

QUOTE="Lefty Frizzell, post: 34626703, member: 36825"]
Big Luke’s is a disgrace like. I had a right fat bastard moment at the metro centre one, must be 10yr ago now. Was out with my lass at the time and her sister, we’d been for breakfast earlier and I was just still starving. Told them to just do their own thing and meet back in an hour, I’ll just go to HMV. I went straight to Big Luke’s, sat in a booth on my tod, scranning away on beige crap. As I was paying up,they both walked past, caught red handed.
[/QUOTE]

Got a some kind of chicken dish on the ramblas in Barcelona, where the chicken was basically lightly seared on both side. Christ, it was beyond raw. Refused to pay for it and a right barney ensued.

A shite tourist trap restaurant in the Old Town in Rhodes. Steak came kizzened like a lump of charcoal, lass's (no - long ago ex and you wouldn't enjoy looking at her) pizza was clearly a frozen supermarket effort burnt on the outside and still frozen solid in the middle. Couple we were with had different but equally awful meals. Got the maitre d' over to try and sort it and he was rude, obnoxious and aggressive about it.

The plumbing in Greek islands is pretty basic to begin with but on the way out I committed an act of sanitary sabotage + bio-terrorism in revenge in their toilets that stopped only slightly short of the traditional dirty protest and of which I am not proud, despite the fact they deserved every millilitre of it.

For quality and VFM, has to be last time i was at MPW in Hotel Indigo Newcastle. Dry steak, very small. Deserts were microwaved, as confirmed by the staff when i sent the first one back as was cold. Returned a few minutes later, clearly the same desert, and a few degrees cooler than the sun.

Close second would be Jamie Olivers in Kingston a few years back. Abysmal. Did not pay so second place.

Last edited:
Sambuca down the fish quay in Hendon.

Lived over the road from it and me and my ex were both on scraping a living. For clarity I was chugging and she was on an adult apprentice wage. She decided to take me there for a birthday meal because she’d heard it was decent and cheap. Very good of her to be fair.

I got the chicken parmo. What arrived seemed to be a microwaved breaded chicken breast with a tin of tomato sauce on the top (I assume it was microwaved because it was still cold in the places where you don’t put it in long enough). I’ll normally finish anything put on my plate but had to leave half of it. Broke her heart because her birthday present was fucked up.

That said at least I wasn’t ill from eating what I did. Three times in my life and I remember all them.

- Chinese in Dawdon, Seaham. Me and my dad got the house special curry and were both off work the next day with what can only be described as explosive vomiting and diarrhoea

- Best Shawarma in Sunderland city centre, over the road from Passion. Kicked in just as I was going to 5 a side and I had to tell the lads on here I couldn’t make it.

- Some random chippy near Sandy Bay caravan park. My grandparents took 4 of us there for the weekend. We all spent the Sunday taking turns in the caravan toilet/a bucket. Apart from my grandad who was fine, but to be fair he’d toured that many far flung reaches of the globe that he probably had bowels of steel.

Frankie and benny's in stoke, chicken was so tough my knife couldn't cut it, The Mrs (no) could barely cut it with her steam knife, not surprisingly it was incredibly chewy and uneadable. Full refund

Marco Pierre White in Newcastle.

The service and food was that bad the manageress came over to apologise and burst into tears (not because of us, just the pressure of running a shit restaurant)
We had to get her a chair and glass of water, she was shaking like a leaf.
They had 3 cracks and cooking chips, which they messed up, they were either raw, cold or burnt.
We ended up only paying £80 of the £400 bill.

The other one was Trust House Forte in Glasgow, we had booked a table for 12 and 2 people had got delayed on the train so there was only 10 of us.
We were the only people in the place and the waitress said she was going to charge us for the 2 empty seats.
She only backed down when we asked what the 2 people were going to eat exactly.
The meals turned up and you only got exactly what was listed, so if you ordered a burger, you got a burger, no bun, chips, salad etc, just a burger on a plate... for £15
The Forte experience must have been about 20 years ago as they were acquired by Granada around that time.

When I first came to China, and couldn't speak any Chinese, I had to rely on pointing at things on the menu. The restaurant not far from my place looked ok so I went in and ordered what I thought was a curry. While I was waiting I had three or four beers from the fridge, it took for ever to arrive. I don't think they got many foreigners in. When the dish arrived it looked like nowt I'd ever seen. A massive dish of hot water, that had blocks of rubber floating about in it. There was bits of bone, chicken feet, and other stuff I didn't recognise. I'm not kidding, the bowl was about the size of a bathroom sink. I took one spoonful and I had to spit it back into the bowl. The smell of it was lifting, like somebody drying a piss soaked blanket in front of a fire. Not knowing what to do I left a 100 RMB note on the table and walked, while faking a phone call. I couldn't look at the wifey who'd served me, I felt terrible about it. I've noticed the smell in other places and supposedly it's called 'smelly tofu' Why it would be mixed into a gruel with chicken feet and bones is beyond me. China has the best, and the worst food imaginable, depending on where you go and what you ask for.

Hilton hotel Leicester. Took two hours for the main to arrive and when it did, they supplied a steak knife with my chicken breast. Even the staff knew it was going to be bad.

Got a some kind of chicken dish on the ramblas in Barcelona, where the chicken was basically lightly seared on both side. Christ, it was beyond raw. Refused to pay for it and a right barney ensued.

Anywhere on Las Lamblas in Barcelona is going to be an overpriced tourist trap. It's like eating on Leicester Square in London. Had a paella once which had clearly been microwaved. In terms of quality it wasn't the worst ever but it was expensive for what was effectively a Tesco ready meal.

Church lane in Sunderland. Waited a hour for food, offered them crap IPA cans as an apology. It came and was just greasy crap. Had the trots for 7 days.
I think most people complained who were in that Evening too. Shocking restaurant

Miller and Carter, steaks were like leather. They somehow managed to cook it so it looked right, medium rare, but have it taste like it was well done.

Anywhere on Las Lamblas in Barcelona is going to be an overpriced tourist trap. It's like eating on Leicester Square in London. Had a paella once which had clearly been microwaved. In terms of quality it wasn't the worst ever but it was expensive for what was effectively a Tesco ready meal.
Aye, but maybe not unrealistic to expect the chicken cooked? It was ridiculous like.

Back