worst meal you've had at a restaurant

Sheep's brain at a restaurant in Kusadasi in Turkey.
It came with nothing else, no sauces, just a stewed sheep's brain in the middle of the plate.
I used to like trying all sorts like snails, octopus etc but after that I've curbed my enthusiasm for the weird and wonderful of the culinary world

A Mexican in Mexico at one of the Riu hotels the other food was stunning but you’d tahini they’d get the Mexican food right. Went out to eat one night and the Mexican food was stunning and cost about £15 all in with drinks!!

I was in the old Mayflower in Shields one night ( long since closed) and some gadgie was ranting his meal was cold..Thing is it was like he wanted the whole restaurant to hear which wasn't a good move when wearing a wig that was so shit it looked like it was cellotaped on...I felt for the rest of his table who were cringing as it was obvious everyone around found it amusing

Years back when our kids were little we went to Chiquitos in Durham after we'd been to the panto at the Gala on Christmas Eve. Everything took forever, the staff all looked really harassed, and in the end the manager came to see us and apologise, and told us the chef had walked out, and then started crying.

So that was festive.
It was actually the Durham one I was on about too.

Yep, total tourist trap. Took my family there about 15 years ago after visiting the Florida one. Wouldn't go back there now if it was free.
Certainly made up to be some sort of magical rainforest experience, scruffy and dated and a few people walking about in shit costumes, added to that the absolute shite served up, probably one of the worst family nights out I’ve had, took all my might just to sit with a smile on my face so not to spoil it totally.

Out in the jungle in Bandung when it was a tiny town ate mostly vegetable and a bit of beef, you know when something just isn’t right. Was sick for days afterwards

Some restaurant in Ohrid few years ago. Saw the server water down some wine and tried to argue when we pointed it out. Only sound you could hear was the microwave, starter was cold and then the chicken main was still raw. Walked out

Frankie and Bennies was always so bad, that they must have been doing it in purpose in the end.
I remember ordering a pizza from Frankie and bennies. The dough was caked in flour so I asked them to make it again so the dough wasn’t caked in flour this time. It’s served again and would you believe it the chefs used a full bag of flour to cost me pizza again. Shambles.
Did enjoy some pancakes with bacon one time there tho

Brittannia hotel in Aberdeen

I've posted it on here before but once when staying in a shit £240 a night room i had tge evening meal as part of tge package. I went down to scran and barely touched it, just shuffled it around the plate. a bloke came in a few minutes before the "restaurant " closed. He had his back to the serving counter whilst he had his soup starter and didn't realise they were clearing away. When I pointed it out he called the waitress over and said he wanted his main course as he'd paid for it. She ran into the kitchen and came out to apologise that everything had gone in the bin. He replied it wasnt a problem he'd order fish and chips to be taxied to the hotel and they could pay for it. She went back to the kitchen and less than a minute came out with a piece of broken fish and a few chips. It was obvious that they'd retrieved it from the bin. She didn't even deny it had been rescued from the bin.

Rancid place

Certainly made up to be some sort of magical rainforest experience, scruffy and dated and a few people walking about in shit costumes, added to that the absolute shite served up, probably one of the worst family nights out I’ve had, took all my might just to sit with a smile on my face so not to spoil it totally.
I thought turtle bay in the toon would be the same a few year ago,took the bairn there thinking there would be all kinds of tropical animals from the rainforest dotted around the place to cheer him up.What I didn't expect was it to be full of cackling tarts knocking back cocktails and the staff more interested in serving drinks than taking orders from people wanting to eat.I went to the waiter "any chance of ordering food" and he gave a horrible look and said "can you not see there are customers wanting drinks"
the daft thing was they came in about 20 minutes after we did :eek::lol:
when they finally came around to ask what we wanted the bairn couldn't make himself understood above the daft music they had blasting,the poor sod must have had to repeated himself 4 times before they realised he wanted a pulled pork bun or whatever it was,it turned up 40 minutes later and the bun was rock solid,the poor sod nearly broke his teeth trying to bite his way through it.:lol:My ribs came,microwave meal written all over it.
the daft thing is that they would make more coin closing the food part and just serve drinks to the 2 for 1 daiqiri crowd.

seaham hall for sunday dinner a couple of years ago. the meat was uncuttable, the veg was rock hard and it came with cauliflower cheese that was also rock hard.

also some fancy wedding at lumley castle. huge plates with next to nowt on them. had to call at mcdonalds on the way home as we were that hungry afterwards.

A curry in new Jersey just over 20 years ago.

Went to a supposed Indian Restaurant.. all the food just tasted like a load of powdered chili powder had been slung over everything.

Maybe a haram masala mix but nothing cooked out so tasted powdery
indian food in general is shite in the US. found one half decent one in my time there but was a good half hour drive away.

babuchos in newcastle for my 21st. was f***ing dogshit.

The hotel we stayed in a small village just outside Interlaken on the school trip to Switzerland in 1999 was pretty horrendous. It was a fairly cheap and cheerful hotel but there was nothing cheerful about the food!

In second place was the time my vegetarian wife had a big bit of chicken in the middle of her veggie supreme pizza.

Back