World Down's Syndrome Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always in the camp of getting an abortion if I found out the foetus had Down syndrome. However, after watching this BBC documentary I don’t think I could ever do that now.

Wonderful people.

I can’t recommend watching highly enough.

I remember watching that when it was originally broadcast. Lovely, moving documentary. Years ago, I lived next door to a family who had a Downs Syndrome kid. She was really sweet and her parents were lovely (her sister was a standard non-Downs teen thoufhfrom what I could tell). Her dad was a fireman who'd sometimes bring his engine home overnight (which may not have been legal, I guess).

My other memory is that there's a Downs lad who works in Cambridge M&S. Three or four years ago, I was in there buying stuff including a bottle of wine and he challenged me on my age and insisted on ID. I'm almost 49 so must have been 45 or 46 then. The old woman behind me (looked about 75 to me so about 30 to the lad on the till) told him that she was sure I was old enough and everything went swimmingly from then aside from one or two too many apologies and a handshake. Anyway, lovely lad...

Yep. They look for markers, like thickness at the back of the neck and amount of amniotic fluid, add in the age of the mother and give you an odds of it being. Then you have options for further tests (with risk of miscarriage) if chances are high or getting rid if it comes back as confirmed.
When we had the 12 week scan with our first we were told we were in the very high risk category for Trisomy 13 disorder. We were told we could consider a termination now, have a test which runs a risk of miscarriage or wait and see. Pretty hard thing to deal with but an easy decision in the end for us. It was a hard few weeks until the 20 week scan when they gave her the 'all clear'. Mind that trisomy is different to downs and is usually incompatible with life. She had some complications later and had to come out early and very small but is a pretty tall and healthy 5yr old now (gall stones aside). I reckon I do thank the stars for my kids health every day.

Such as?

Perhaps because they don’t have a care in the world, are loved by their parents and families, and have no responsibilities to anyone else? We might all be like that in the same circumstances.

It's a shame it can't be taught, but the majority of Downs have emotional intelligence off the scale compared to you.

I may have told this story on here before but what the hell. Many years ago one of my aunties lived in Ryton Crescent, just off the Avenue in Seaham and a family nearby had a son with Down's Syndrome. He went to a school out of the area and he got a special bus very early on a morning, well before other kids were up and about.

Only the oldies on here will remember this next bit but back in the day the Co-op delivered milk and you left different coloured tokens out with your empties to let the milkman know what you wanted.

Anyway, the Down's laddie (to my shame I've forgotten his name) took advantage of his early start and every morning on his way down the street for his bus, instead of knicking the tokens he'd mix them up so no one got the right delivery.

I was only a bairn at the time but I thought the whole thing was hysterical - for a few reasons.

Firstly it took them ages to discover the culprit until they worked out it only happened on a school day and the only houses affected were at the bottom of the street - on his way to the bus.

I thought that it was a really sophisticated bit of mischief because he knew exactly what he was doing but he was never there to witness the confusion.

The best bit was that once the families in the street realised it was the Down's laddie, he didn't get wrong - they let him get on with it and the correct sorting of the various milk orders just became an established part of their morning routine.

It still tickles me now.

I may have told this story on here before but what the hell. Many years ago one of my aunties lived in Ryton Crescent, just off the Avenue in Seaham and a family nearby had a son with Down's Syndrome. He went to a school out of the area and he got a special bus very early on a morning, well before other kids were up and about.

Only the oldies on here will remember this next bit but back in the day the Co-op delivered milk and you left different coloured tokens out with your empties to let the milkman know what you wanted.

Anyway, the Down's laddie (to my shame I've forgotten his name) took advantage of his early start and every morning on his way down the street for his bus, instead of knicking the tokens he'd mix them up so no one got the right delivery.

I was only a bairn at the time but I thought the whole thing was hysterical - for a few reasons.

Firstly it took them ages to discover the culprit until they worked out it only happened on a school day and the only houses affected were at the bottom of the street - on his way to the bus.

I thought that it was a really sophisticated bit of mischief because he knew exactly what he was doing but he was never there to witness the confusion.

The best bit was that once the families in the street realised it was the Down's laddie, he didn't get wrong - they let him get on with it and the correct sorting of the various milk orders just became an established part of their morning routine.

It still tickles me now.

class.

My uncle is downs. Was predicted to live no longer than 5 years.

He's 50! :cool:

Friends of my parents fostered two little lads with Downs who had low life expectancy. One passed away when he was about 20. The younger one really got into playing sport. He's mid-30's now and works doing coaching and going out and encouraging other Downs people to do sports. He's a mag and every time he sees my Dad, he hurls football abuse at him and giggles :lol:

It's a shame it can't be taught, but the majority of Downs have emotional intelligence off the scale compared to you.

I think there’s an element of truth in what she’s said to be fair.

The last time my little lad was in intensive care the baby in the next bed was a post op newborn Downs kid. I got talking to the parents who were two of the most amazing people I've ever met. They knew they were having a Downs kid and went through with the pregnancy because, as they rightly said, you very rarely see an unhappy person who has Downs. They were determined to fill hers and their lives with happiness.

We always said during pregancy for both of our bairns that if there was any indication of Down’s we would continue regardless. They can and do live full, happy lives.

I would only ever consider termination if the child would have a poor quality of life.

Last edited:
I think there’s an element of truth in what she’s said to be fair.

There's an element of truth but it is somewhat overwhelmed by the caustic tone and evident lack of empathy.
One could say prisoners are alright, 3 square meals and a roof over their head with no bills to worry about. An element of truth but completely missing the whole point.

Perhaps it's a perception of the truth but real life is not like that for many Downs kids and adults.

It’s an idealised view admittedly.

I think it would be more accurate to say that most people with Down’s simply see the world as it ought to be, rather than how it actually is.

Permanent rose-tinted specs if you like.

I think it would be more accurate to say that most people with Down’s simply see the world as it ought to be, rather than how it actually is.

What about the constant pain and serious medical complications they suffer continuously.

You probably see them when they’re out, upbeat and feeling well.

It still tickles me now.

Tremendous :)

Not true.

What about the constant pain and serious medical complications they suffer continuously.

Most suffer from bouts of anxiety and depression.

I don't know. I've always had a soft spot for those with Downs since some of the Priests in training took me to a camp for them, I realise now that they were in a special respite home, some permanently, anyway I was saying to my mate who works with special needs kids now how much I love them, that they're so happy etc
He said I wouldn't feel like that if I had to try and get them out from under the table when they were having a tantrum :lol:
There is a pretty broad spectrum within Downs ranging from the ability to get a driving licence to being extremely violent and non communicative.
The only real point is that they are not mindless things they are people just as much as any of us and having them accepted in society only betters society.

My uncle is downs. Was predicted to live no longer than 5 years.

He's 50! :cool:

Class

Growing up on the same council estate as myself was a lovely Down syndrome lad on his 21st birthday the local shops all ran out of 21st birthday cards he was so popular. Before my mam got dementia she told me he was still alive but living in a home would be approx 55.

I’m referring to their general demeanour and outlook rather than their day to day experiences. I’m not trying to trivialise it as a condition.

Many on this thread have mentioned how affable and pleasant Down’s people can be and how much joy they bring to their friends and families.

This is one of the reason's they touch the hearts of most people they come into contact with. But, if you think about what you've typed, they show us a world we think it should/wish it could be.

I don't know. I've always had a soft spot for those with Downs since some of the Priests in training took me to a camp for them, I realise now that they were in a special respite home, some permanently, anyway I was saying to my mate who works with special needs kids now how much I love them, that they're so happy etc
He said I wouldn't feel like that if I had to try and get them out from under the table when they were having a tantrum :lol:
There is a pretty broad spectrum within Downs ranging from the ability to get a driving licence to being extremely violent and non communicative.
The only real point is that they are not mindless things they are people just as much as any of us and having them accepted in society only betters society.

Definitely not mindless. If anything more mindful than a lot of “normal” people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back