World Down's Syndrome Day

Downs kids are brilliant. The adults aren't too shabby either. Richard Dawkins thinks that it's immoral to bring them into the world. I say that we can learn a lot from them.
Does he really, that's a bit daft. he does come across as a dick at times doesn't he.
Not something I'd want to take on but plenty of people with severe disabilities have great lives.
Wonder if he thinks Hawking was worth filtering out?

Does he really, that's a bit daft. he does come across as a dick at times doesn't he.
Not something I'd want to take on but plenty of people with severe disabilities have great lives.
Now there's a question.

This absolutely. My daughter is 18 and has a different chromosome disorder called Ring 18. Despite her having a lot of disabilities she is as happy as can be and absolutely spoilt rotten. In fact I sometimes envy her as she lives in her own little world and doesn't have one worry. She has grew up going to school with a lot of Downs kids (now adults) and they are absolutely amazing, some of the most lovely people I have ever met.

Downs kids are brilliant. The adults aren't too shabby either. Richard Dawkins thinks that it's immoral to bring them into the world. I say that we can learn a lot from them.
I'd be surprised if he actually thought that, but it's not like we get more than one go at life as far as he's concerned so it would seem odd that he holds that view.

There was mention to us of a test for Down's during the early stages of pregnancy.
We never considered it or even heard of it, but it cropped up in discussion with the nurse who was dealing with us. "What would you do if the test indicated Down's?".
I don't actually know what the options would have been? I'm guessing abortion was one option, but never realised it was legal?

As I say, we never considered the test so we'd have carried on with the pregnancy regardless anyway.

I was always in the camp of getting an abortion if I found out the foetus had Down syndrome. However, after watching this BBC documentary I don’t think I could ever do that now.

Wonderful people.

I can’t recommend watching highly enough.

The ones i see are always happy. Best memory is being in Lanzarote and a little girl was on €1 ride eating an ice cream. Melted my heart, said to her dad thats what its all about- fun and ice cream

There was mention to us of a test for Down's during the early stages of pregnancy.
We never considered it or even heard of it, but it cropped up in discussion with the nurse who was dealing with us. "What would you do if the test indicated Down's?".
I don't actually know what the options would have been? I'm guessing abortion was one option, but never realised it was legal?

As I say, we never considered the test so we'd have carried on with the pregnancy regardless anyway.

Yes you can abort if you get a test result indicating Downs or other conditions.

I had problems with my pregnancy but they didn't know if it was me or the baby. I didn't want amniocentesis and they tried to do a brain scan on her but her head was pressed right against my pelvis so they couldn't get a clear image. They said they couldn't decide if there was anything wrong with her or not and offered me the chance to terminate the pregnancy. I couldn't have gone through with that so continued with it and would have loved her just as much if she did have Downs or something.

Vive la difference

I was told growing up that naturals as differently abled people were called then, that the angels loved them most of all and told them all the secrets of the world but then kissed them and made it impossible for them to tell anyone and that is why they are so happy and so good with animals.

Great video and great sentiment.

It's all about mothers I guess because they are encouraging women not to abandon a pregnancy.

Shout out to all the brilliant daddies of these super heroes too.

(There is a great story about a dad who explained to his downs son that he had special powers like the super heroes he loved)

Back