World Down's Syndrome Day

I’m referring to their general demeanour and outlook rather than their day to day experiences. I’m not trying to trivialise it as a condition.

Many on this thread have mentioned how affable and pleasant Down’s people can be and how much joy they bring to their friends and families.
I wasn’t having a pop at you, it was more SL suggesting people with serious medical conditions such as Downs Syndrome don’t have a care in the world.

Anyway, this is a positive thread, not one for us to spout opinions.

My daughters nursery want everyone to go in wearing odd socks tomorrow to promote the day and raise a couple of quid.

I wasn’t having a pop at you, it was more SL suggesting people with serious medical conditions such as Downs Syndrome don’t have a care in the world.

Anyway, this is a positive thread, not one for us to spout opinions.

My daughters nursery want everyone to go in wearing odd socks tomorrow to promote the day and raise a couple of quid.

How come?

He's a she.

A female version of a particularly charmless hybrid of WHED and Reiver, who manages to suck the life out of many a thread.

As a staff member and supposedly impartial you might want to apologise for that post. Or is this just a clique where only certain people can express opinions? If it was worth the effort then I would report your post but I would be pissing in the wind so I won’t bother.

As a staff member and supposedly impartial you might want to apologise for that post. Or is this just a clique where only certain people can express opinions? If it was worth the effort then I would report your post but I would be pissing in the wind so I won’t bother.

The staff should probably act impartially but that doesn't mean they can't have opinions... it speaks volumes about you that you put up a post bemoaning the freedom to express your opinion by asking for an apology from someone expressing their opinion. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's an element of truth but it is somewhat overwhelmed by the caustic tone and evident lack of empathy.
One could say prisoners are alright, 3 square meals and a roof over their head with no bills to worry about. An element of truth but completely missing the whole point.

Or maybe it comes from the viewpoint of having spent many years working with such people and therefore being able to be honest about them rather than patronising them by patting them on the head and saying how cute they are?

I knew my statement would cause a knee jerk reaction from the pc correct, virtue signallers on the board but come on, let’s be more truthful about the reality of having a downs child. It does no favour to either the child or their parents to brush over their experiences simply to make ourselves look good to a load of faceless others on a message board.

I had a disabled child, I know from first hand experience how much stress and anxiety they cause. I know what it means to have a very young baby undergoing surgery, and then see that surgery repeated at regular intervals throughout their life. I know what it means to have a child and wonder if you will outlive her so that she never has to go into the care system.

When some of the joker than thou people on here have walked in mine and other parents shoes then you might just be able to offer a better response than, isn’t this a cute kid just because it’s happy. You might want to ask what the cost of that happiness is on the parents. You are the one missing the point.

The staff should probably act impartially but that doesn't mean they can't have opinions... it speaks volumes about you that you put up a post bemoaning the freedom to express your opinion by asking for an apology from someone expressing their opinion. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I didn’t use my position as a staff member to garner likes though did I? There’s a difference and I think that you are sensible enough to recognise that if a staff member wants to express bigotry against another member then they should do it from an anonymous log in. The position of staff member gives his opinion more validity and that is what I complained about. If he were a random then I would have just reported him and forgotten about it.

Last edited:

I try to be impartial, but the job doesn't prevent me from having opinions.

One of those opinions, based purely upon your posts, is that you repeatedly come across as a rather charmless individual and one not overstocked in the empathy department.

But there are no cliques here, so post away.
No one's stopping you, but it is a forum after all and there are no guarantees that all responses will be in agreement.

Last edited:
Or maybe it comes from the viewpoint of having spent many years working with such people and therefore being able to be honest about them rather than patronising them by patting them on the head and saying how cute they are?

I knew my statement would cause a knee jerk reaction from the pc correct, virtue signallers on the board but come on, let’s be more truthful about the reality of having a downs child. It does no favour to either the child or their parents to brush over their experiences simply to make ourselves look good to a load of faceless others on a message board.

I had a disabled child, I know from first hand experience how much stress and anxiety they cause. I know what it means to have a very young baby undergoing surgery, and then see that surgery repeated at regular intervals throughout their life. I know what it means to have a child and wonder if you will outlive her so that she never has to go into the care system.

When some of the joker than thou people on here have walked in mine and other parents shoes then you might just be able to offer a better response than, isn’t this a cute kid just because it’s happy. You might want to ask what the cost of that happiness is on the parents. You are the one missing the point.

I didn’t use my position as a staff member to garner likes though did I? There’s a difference and I think that you are sensible enough to recognise that if a staff member wants to express bigotry against another member then they should do it from an anonymous log in. The position of staff member gives his opinion more validity and that is what I complained about. If he were a random then I would have just reported him and forgotten about it.

QED

What about the constant pain and serious medical complications they suffer continuously.

You probably see them when they’re out, upbeat and feeling well.
Aye, I think there have been quite a few generalisations in the thread. A while ago I happened to know of two young children who both had Down's Syndrome. One child had no tongue or dribble problems, was learning to talk and had mastered toilet training. The other child had constant dribble and tongue issues, didn't really get makaton, had no speach skills and was still in nappies, and thought hitting was pretty much ok.

The only thing they had in common was that their first names started with H.

They are individuals first and children with DS second.

Oh stop it.

How dare you post like your first post and then have the neck to post this.

It is offence by entrapment.

If this had been your first post there'd have been no problem.
You created the response on purpose so you could martyr your position on your high moral horse telling us all off.

Well we were right to coat you off, you wanted us to coat you off.

So trot on and enjoy your umbrage you weirdo.

I think he was pretty spot on and as a mod he is still allowed to post and have an opinion, he's not a servant.

Last edited:
My uncle has nicknames for everyone in the family. Never uses proper names, and the rest of the family have gotten so used to them we all call each other them most of the time :lol:

One of my favourite things he says is he'll kick someone in the "hayhems". For years I just took it as a real word for bollocks, until I realised he'd obviously heard someone call them "ahems" with a cough rather than use a word :lol:

Wearing odd socks today :cool: such a silly little thing but it makes me smile.

I'm very sorry for the way you feel and how you've felt your life has treated you, but maybe you should make a new thread about such harrowing experiences as this is an uplifting one, celebrating people?

Last edited:
Such as?

Perhaps because they don’t have a care in the world, are loved by their parents and families, and have no responsibilities to anyone else? We might all be like that in the same circumstances.

As a dad to a beautiful little girl with downs, thank you for the sweeping statement and generalisation.

Come and spend some time with my daughter when she's frustrated as hell because she can't do something her friends can or struggling to do basic tasks then tell me she doesn't have a care in the world.....

Better still take her out and watch her disappointment when people whisper and stare.

I wouldn't change her for the world and if we all had as much love for others as these amazing people the world would be a better place

Keep digging a hole for yourself. You're the one who joined this thread brushing over the experiences shared by posters to give a patronising, stereotyped and inaccurate view of Downs.

Hypocrisy or what?

As a dad to a beautiful little girl with downs, thank you for the sweeping statement and generalisation.

Come and spend some time with my daughter when she's frustrated as hell because she can't do something her friends can or struggling to do basic tasks then tell me she doesn't have a care in the world.....

Better still take her out and watch her disappointment when people whisper and stare.

I wouldn't change her for the world and if we all had as much love for others as these amazing people the world would be a better place

Great post.

Keep digging a hole for yourself. You're the one who joined this thread brushing over the experiences shared by posters to give a patronising, stereotyped and inaccurate view of Downs.

Hypocrisy or what?

And her point seems to be more about the impact it has on the parents life when arguing against someone saying downs kids are worthwhile human beings. Bizarre.

I do almost every day... :neutral:

Need a national colour blind day.

To mark the occasion I'm also wearing odd socks :cool:

Good work Rocky lad.

Last edited:

Back