World Down's Syndrome Day

There was mention to us of a test for Down's during the early stages of pregnancy.
We never considered it or even heard of it, but it cropped up in discussion with the nurse who was dealing with us. "What would you do if the test indicated Down's?".
I don't actually know what the options would have been? I'm guessing abortion was one option, but never realised it was legal?

As I say, we never considered the test so we'd have carried on with the pregnancy regardless anyway.

Yep. They look for markers, like thickness at the back of the neck and amount of amniotic fluid, add in the age of the mother and give you an odds of it being. Then you have options for further tests (with risk of miscarriage) if chances are high or getting rid if it comes back as confirmed.

The last time my little lad was in intensive care the baby in the next bed was a post op newborn Downs kid. I got talking to the parents who were two of the most amazing people I've ever met. They knew they were having a Downs kid and went through with the pregnancy because, as they rightly said, you very rarely see an unhappy person who has Downs. They were determined to fill hers and their lives with happiness.

The last time my little lad was in intensive care the baby in the next bed was a post op newborn Downs kid. I got talking to the parents who were two of the most amazing people I've ever met. They knew they were having a Downs kid and went through with the pregnancy because, as they rightly said, you very rarely see an unhappy person who has Downs. They were determined to fill hers and their lives with happiness.

Class that like.

I know a couple of bairns with downs. Wonderful, friendly amazing kids. One even taught me some sign language.

Downs kids are brilliant. The adults aren't too shabby either. Richard Dawkins thinks that it's immoral to bring them into the world. I say that we can learn a lot from them.

Such as?

It’s such a strange thing that what is essentially a genetic abnormality can produce such worthwhile human beings.

Perhaps because they don’t have a care in the world, are loved by their parents and families, and have no responsibilities to anyone else? We might all be like that in the same circumstances.

Last edited:
Our lass had a neighbour who was Downs when they were kids. She's adamant they're all highly sexed as he was always getting his tail out and saying 'tiddle pie' while pointing at it. :lol:

We had a dinner lady at junior school who often brought her two Downs children in and they were lovely - older than us - but we all loved them and saw nothing wrong at all, as we met them at such a young age that is was just the norm. There was certainly no tiddle-pieing going on in my experience

Back