Women Just Aren't As Funny As Lads

Status
Not open for further replies.

He is a person who is willfully misinterpreted a lot in my opinion.

He wouldn't be known at all if he didn't have his vociferous detractors.

A lot of what he says is well thought out and backed by data. (None of which I have checked)

I like that he seems to think about stuff rather than trot out the same old shite. I think current thinking in the world is muddled and needs changing and I like that he has some interesting opinions.
As I said, I don't mind him. I don't think he (or Shapiro) is alt-right. He get flack because some of his supporters are alt-right and some of his statements and views seem to validate theirs and get shared a lot.

The left will attack him for his views on say gender fluidity, the alt-right practically deify him because of them. Both ignore a lot of his more succinct views.

That's kind of the point of saying white privilege exists, as opposed to just "privilege exists"

Well there’s definitely an argument that privilege exists based on the colour of your skin, but the example you suggested would depend on the level of privilege experienced.

As a white man, I do benefit from white privilege, but I was a beneficiary of a positive discrimination programme because I was from a low-income background.

No, but that’s a great idea.
Well if you decide to start it can you get it going for like.. 2-3 months and then just invite me in randomly.

Cos honestly and without irony this conversation has made my day.

I've been on a shite train journey for about an hour now and this has been brilliant.

On a side note, if you ever want to kiss and..... what's the internet equivalent of kiss and make up?

Errmmmmm.....well we could you know.... we could like... I don't know, talk about our feelings then send each other dick pics or something... just let me know. Offer's there.....

:lol:

Last edited:
As I said, I don't mind him. I don't think he (or Shapiro) is alt-right. He get flack because some of his supporters are alt-right and some of his statements and views seem to validate theirs and get shared a lot.

The left will attack him for his views on say gender fluidity, the alt-right practically deify him because of them. Both ignore a lot of his more succinct views.

It is remarkable what intellectual cul de sacs many people have turned into.

Well there’s definitely an argument that privilege exists based on the colour of your skin, but the example you suggested would depend on the level of privilege experienced.

As a white man, I do benefit from white privilege, but I was a beneficiary of a positive discrimination programme because I was from a low-income background.

Did you watch the video and his crackpot ideas?

There is definitely economic privilege. I am sure of that.

Last edited:
Well if you decide to start it can you get it going for like.. 2-3 months and then just invite me in randomly.

Cos honestly and without irony this conversation has made my day.

I've been on a shite train journey for about an hour now and this has been brilliant.

On a side note, if you ever want to kiss and..... what's the internet equivalent of kiss and make up?

Errmmmmm.....well we could you know.... we could like... I don't know, talk about our feelings then send each other dick pics or something... just let me know. Offer's there.....

:lol:

I’m not sending you a dick pic ffs.

Glad I helped to make your train journey more enjoyable. Mind the gap!

I’m not sending you a dick pic ffs.

Glad I helped to make your train journey more enjoyable. Mind the gap!
You're not gonna take me up on my offer?

Well this has been rubbish.

What was the point in all that shit about telling me how much you don't like me and how much you want to tell me what you think of me if you're not going to go through with it.

I thought we'd have some sort of conclusion, you'd either go on an epic rant destroying me or you'd sort of go you're not that bad really let's be friends.

But this.... this is nothing. What a rubbish conclusion to the thread. Fucks sake @Frijj

So not all white people are privileged, but simply being white means that you benefit from privilege?

Sorry, I see how that comes across as contradictory. To clarify:

If you believe that white privilege exists then yes, all white people experience some privilege.
That sounds like making the "facts" fit the theory to be honest mate. I believe in x, so therefore y must exist.

Surely, in order to label someone as crackpot for not believing in a theory, there needs to be better evidence than this.

To be honest, I don't believe that white privilege exists, as an all encompassing thing, either. Some people are privileged. And, in this country, the people who are privileged are most likely to be white. Absolutely.

But I'm in no way convinced that people are privileged simply because of their skin colour. In your positive discrimination case, were you more or less privileged than a wealthy non-white female? It was almost certainly your lack of wealth that entitled you to additional support, despite the supposed benefits of being both white and male.

That's not to say that people never get discriminated by skin colour, because of course they do if they have the misfortune to run into a racist arsehole. But even white folk have that misfortune. But people also get discriminated against by class, nationality, gender, sexuality, wealth, disability and any number of other things.

That sounds like making the "facts" fit the theory to be honest mate. I believe in x, so therefore y must exist.

Surely, in order to label someone as crackpot for not believing in a theory, there needs to be better evidence than this.

To be honest, I don't believe that white privilege exists, as an all encompassing thing, either. Some people are privileged. And, in this country, the people who are privileged are most likely to be white. Absolutely.

But I'm in no way convinced that people are privileged simply because of their skin colour. In your positive discrimination case, were you more or less privileged than a wealthy non-white female? It was almost certainly your lack of wealth that entitled you to additional support, despite the supposed benefits of being both white and male.

That's not to say that people never get discriminated by skin colour, because of course they do if they have the misfortune to run into a racist arsehole. But even white folk have that misfortune. But people also get discriminated against by class, nationality, gender, sexuality, wealth, disability and any number of other things.

What are you considering privilege mate?

Difficult to articulate. Anything that gains a person a benefit that would not gain an otherwise identical person the same benefit.

If that makes sense.
White privilege doesn't necessarily mean material benefit or status. We make instinctive judgements of people. If you or I get onto a bus with a backpack nobody is batting an eyelid, if a South East Asian chap gets sirens will go off in the back of some people's head instinctively. There have been studies that have shown black men are perceived as bigger and stronger, or more threatening, or less innocent.

I don't think it's something that can be resolved tbh, it's probably evolutionary and I wouldn't be surprised if white people can suffer similar biases in countries that are mainly black or asian.

White privilege doesn't necessarily mean material benefit or status. We make instinctive judgements of people. If you or I get onto a bus with a backpack nobody is batting an eyelid, if a South East Asian chap gets sirens will go off in the back of some people's head instinctively. There have been studies that have shown black men are perceived as bigger and stronger, or more threatening, or less innocent.

I don't think it's something that can be resolved tbh, it's probably evolutionary and I wouldn't be surprised if white people can suffer similar biases in countries that are mainly black or asian.

As Peterson said in the video,it's a privilege of being in the dominant culture. So in China it will being Han Chinese will have certain privileges.

Apparently this is one of Peterson's many crackpot ideas according to @Frijj

As Peterson said in the video,it's a privilege of being in the dominant culture. So in China it will being Han Chinese will have certain privileges.

Apparently this is one of Peterson's many crackpot ideas according to @Frijj
Think you’ve misunderstood, but since your entire existence depends on the self-esteem boost you get from being an attention seeking contrarian on here...

Another attention seeker? What a bastard....:lol:

Do you hate him too?

I don't think anyone's claiming it doesn't exist.

He’s more of a tier two dislike figure. I have no respect for him since he’s continually playing a character on here, but I don’t hate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back