Winter Tyres and Storage

It was more I got told I was wrong there marrow.

Silly little cars are generally great in the snow... best one I tried was my wife's (no) Punto.
I’d imagine if you’ve got a big car with wide tyres it might be worth putting some winter tyres on, however I’m not sure this country warrants it to be honest, unless we get another beast from the east I guess, but even then unless you have to travel then I’d just bunker down if the weather gets too bad.

I’d imagine if you’ve got a big car with wide tyres it might be worth putting some winter tyres on, however I’m not sure this country warrants it to be honest, unless we get another beast from the east I guess, but even then unless you have to travel then I’d just bunker down if the weather gets too bad.

Its law here from 31st Oct to 31st March - makes a massive difference when its cold but the Uk doesn't even get cold enough to warrant them

Its law here from 31st Oct to 31st March - makes a massive difference when its cold but the Uk doesn't even get cold enough to warrant them
Remember last time I was out that way, before we took off from the airport they had to defrost the outside of the plane at the end of the runway and then quickly take off before it frosted over again, now that’s f***ing cold!!!

We buy got fuck off Canada goose coats over here and basically sweat our tits off because they’re far too insulated for our winters, we haven’t a clue what really cold is I guess!

😂
Set in Sweden on packed snow in freezing conditions where it is the law to fit winter tyres from 1st December to the end of March.
And where you must have a tread of 3mm or more.

I cannot remember such conditions in the town, and driving around Sunderland for a good while.
Our wonderful Council always has the gritters our well in advance of any bad weather warnings.

When we had the "Beast from the East" - we were well warned, and told only to go out and drive if your journey was necessary.
I for one did not drive, as I did not have a journey that I deemed important enough.
And people who DO need to travel should do what exactly? Just risk a massive crash? Righto.
Not sure I could justify spending £1000 - £1500 on 4 tyres for 4 or 5 months of the year. I only do about 75 mile a week. I keep the crazy driving for the dry summer roads and drive very carefully in the winter.
Expensive tyres them! Mine would be about £120 a corner, so £500 fitted.
And of course, they'll last for many years, AND your summer tyres will last longer too. So its really not actually spending more money in the long run, except for the cost of fitting twice a year.

Last edited:
I don't know about others on here but I'm self employed and to stay home because of snar costs me about £200 per day in lost wages. Tyres pay for themselves after 2 days of snar and it's fun passing smug 4x4's drivers struggling up hills.

Hoy some Michelin Cross Climates on and they'll be spot on all year round. Saves the hassle. The wear is fantastic so worth the extra outlay.

Definitely. They aren’t far behind a “proper” winter tyre which means they a plenty effective for the U.K. winter. And also no more expensive than other branded tyres. It’s a no brainer

It cost me £450 for 4 brand new wheels fitted with new winter tyres for my Transit about 5 years ago. I sold the wheels and tyres for about £200 when I scrapped the Transit. £1,500 for 4 tyres!!!!!!!
The cheapest i can find for mine is some dogshit budget tyre at £110 each. The benefit of it been a winter tyre is probably lost by it being such a shit brand. The dearest for mine was a pirelli at £380 each.

I don't know about others on here but I'm self employed and to stay home because of snar costs me about £200 per day in lost wages. Tyres pay for themselves after 2 days of snar and it's fun passing smug 4x4's drivers struggling up hills.

Is that before or after your tax return?

I've posted this before, cross climates driving from the UK then up the side of a mountain covered in snow.
Ive tried alltyres 365 and black circles and these cross climates dont appear on the list when i put the size in ?? Is there somewhere in particular that is best to source them from ??

Remember last time I was out that way, before we took off from the airport they had to defrost the outside of the plane at the end of the runway and then quickly take off before it frosted over again, now that’s f***ing cold!!!

We buy got fuck off Canada goose coats over here and basically sweat our tits off because they’re far too insulated for our winters, we haven’t a clue what really cold is I guess!
-17 with windchill earlier here,came out of the house and it was like being batted across the face with a baseball icicle,coldest I was ever in was -41 with windchill,that was a tad nippy.

Back