Wigan paying players late

they might...but are they on more than
mcgeady, pritchard, evans were for us?
High wages are more sustainable on 30,000 gates than 10,000 though
its because they came pout of administration they could pay those wages..because they were starting from a blacn ssheet of paper..no legacy costs or wages to players they didnt want..
Just the “pie man“ stuffed then so that’s ok

Last edited:

You make the assumption that players earning that actually look after their money sensibly.

But if you have gone and bought a £2.5m house with a £2m mortgage then you're looking at repayments of c. £10k per month. Then of course to live in such a house you MUST have 2 or 3 cars befitting of the "status" so there's another good few k's per month you have to pay as well.

Everybody has overheads is the point. And if your employer doesn't pay you on time then there is a fair chance you're going to potentially have trouble with your own financial commitments.

This.
The fact its two months in a row immediately points to the cashflow. Makes me very much think that its to do with when they were able to get money into the bank to make the payroll payment. Could well be that they are starting to rely on owners making loans to the club to meet the commitments before they get payments from the League etc.
Aye well if they leave themselves 2 grand a month to spend after paying a mortgage they wouldn’t get on that wage then I can see the issue! 😉 I do get what you’re saying though. But I suppose the difference is that when you’re on 5 grand a week that has to be paid that some point then it’s easy to get that overdraft stretched.

Also worth nothing that nobody knew the first time it was missed. Now it's been missed again and the club have commented because the daily mail have ran an article.

So somebody inside the club is speaking to people about it now.

Also worth nothing that nobody knew the first time it was missed. Now it's been missed again and the club have commented because the daily mail have ran an article.

So somebody inside the club is speaking to people about it now.
It was released in the local press before the Daily Mail though and they have done their usual sensationalising, getting details wrong in the process.

It was released in the local press before the Daily Mail though and they have done their usual sensationalising, getting details wrong in the process.
Theyll have made the comment because they knew the article was coming out... probably been asked for comment.

Why didn't they speak up the first time and apologise saying it won't happen again?

Theyll have made the comment because they knew the article was coming out... probably been asked for comment.

Why didn't they speak up the first time and apologise saying it won't happen again?
I don’t know why, they should’ve done. I don’t want another episode like two years ago unlike some.

I wish you all the best, genuinely.

Surprised me how willing fans are to sweep it under the carpet though considering what you went through very recently.
Thanks, I don’t think Twitter is a good representative of the fanbase though. I do think the ownership group have earned some credit through their interaction with the town and the recent awards won in business following their performance since taking over. I’m guarded about what’s gone on, it’s another bolt from the blue that’s concerning but not on the level of someone paying 40 million quid to put us straight into administration though.

Thanks, I don’t think Twitter is a good representative of the fanbase though. I do think the ownership group have earned some credit through their interaction with the town and the recent awards won in business following their performance since taking over. I’m guarded about what’s gone on, it’s another bolt from the blue that’s concerning but not on the level of someone paying 40 million quid to put us straight into administration though.
Do you think this is sustainable given your crowds and the size and expense of the squad ?

The interaction through the town bit sounds eerily reminiscent of Donald and Methven in the early days here mind.

Aye well if they leave themselves 2 grand a month to spend after paying a mortgage they wouldn’t get on that wage then I can see the issue! 😉 I do get what you’re saying though. But I suppose the difference is that when you’re on 5 grand a week that has to be paid that some point then it’s easy to get that overdraft stretched.

I couldn't be arsed with making a list longer that two financial commitments. 😉

Do you think this is sustainable given your crowds and the size and expense of the squad ?
We posted a record average attendance for the level we’ve just been at and by all accounts up until this episode there were no issues. What do you see as sustainable? The new ownership I cannot fault up until this point. They’ve won awards for their performance since taking over, we have a decent academy, the squad isn’t particularly big, it was padded out with academy graduates to meet the squad threshold at the start of the year and we had no legacy contracts to pay off. Jordan Jones is actually the only one we seem to actively want to get rid of. Income will increase this year as the rugby club are being charged a significantly higher rent and the hospitality in all areas of the ground has been renovated or is in the middle of being renovated. There’s been a lot of positive things to say about the ownership, certainly refreshing compared to the previous lot who we had never even met or seen a picture of before being taken over.
The interaction through the town bit sounds eerily reminiscent of Donald and Methven in the early days here mind.
Not when you consider the last ownership paid 40M to try and liquidate us as soon as they bought us 😂

Last edited:
We posted a record average attendance for the level we’ve just been at and by all accounts up until this episode there were no issues. What do you see as sustainable? The new ownership I cannot fault up until this point. They’ve won awards for their performance since taking over, we have a decent academy, the squad isn’t particularly big, it was padded out with academy graduates to meet the squad threshold at the start of the year and we had no legacy contracts to pay off. Jordan Jones is actually the only one we seem to actively want to get rid of. Income will increase this year as the rugby club are being charged a significantly higher rent and the hospitality in all areas of the ground has been renovated or is in the middle of being renovated. There’s been a lot of positive things to say about the ownership, certainly refreshing compared to the previous lot who we had never even met or seen a picture of before being taken over.
Hmmm. What’s it built on though? The #believe fund? These late payments would have me concerned.

Hope it’s not that bad. Always crap for the fans when clubs struggle.

Hmmm. What’s it built on though? The #believe fund? These late payments would have me concerned.

Hope it’s not that bad. Always crap for the fans when clubs struggle.
There’s some wild interpretations of the believe fund on here. It’s literally a small membership scheme to get some discounts on things like merchandise, season tickets, name on the wall, picture in the ground etc. What it definitely isn’t is some form of fund to prop up the club.

There’s some wild interpretations of the believe fund on here. It’s literally a small membership scheme to get some discounts on things like merchandise, season tickets, name on the wall, picture in the ground etc. What it definitely isn’t is some form of fund to prop up the club.
£40/20 quid a month is not an insignificant amount of money. How many signed up?

Back