Whisky

I usually take a gander at the start of the auction, bid with max limits on anything I’m interested in then go back when the auction is over. Less temptation that way. However, because I’ve got bottles in the auction and check the total most evenings my discipline has waned a little on this one.

I have noticed there seem to be more bids on WhiskyAuctioneer than there were prior to SWA closing for COVID.

using these first auctions to get an idea of what stuff goes for, and I’m starting to get a feel for likely prices, certainly on OB

Got the Ardmore I was after...a few times I was asked during my Teams meeting " are you still there ?" as I was tapping away online at 10.00

Final tally was:
SMWS
10yo Glenfarclas Sherry butt
8yo Clynelish 2nd fill bourbon
18yo Glen Moray first fill bourbon
13yo Caol Ila refill bourbon hogshead
Whisybroker
Both Ardmores
12yo Benrinnes
13yo Aultmore
16yo Auchroisk

Meekly puts wallet away and vows not to buy anything else this month apart from any from the SMWS tasting next Friday I like :oops:

Final tally was:
SMWS
Whisybroker
Both Ardmores
12yo Benrinnes
13yo Aultmore
16yo Auchroisk

Meekly puts wallet away and vows not to buy anything else this month apart from any from the SMWS tasting next Friday I like :oops:
Nice selection

Final tally was:
SMWS
Whisybroker
Both Ardmores
12yo Benrinnes
13yo Aultmore
16yo Auchroisk

Just looked at the SMWS 18yo Glen Moray first fill bourbon. I see it's sold out, but that looks absolutely fantastic.

Please let me know what that's like once you get round to trying it.
Got everything I was after though I’m probably trading the Dalmore for a Kilkerran
Too much sherry?
@shakerman should be on commission or introducer fee for the referrals to WB

Aye, but I can't decide whether he's done me a favour or not!

Last edited:
Just looked at the SMWS 18yo Glen Moray first fill bourbon. I see it's sold out, but that looks absolutely fantastic.

Please let me know what that's like once you get round to trying it.

Too much sherry?

Aye. Martin at WB described it as very sweet which means it probably won’t be suited to my palette. I got the Aultmore and sherried Ardmore from WB as well as the Dalmore. Bought the Longmorn, Benrinnes, Glen Elgin and Nantou from SMWS.

Got the Bimber release on Monday, the 4 Chorlton bottles, the IAAS Springbank and my Kininvie cask share to come hopefully.

Always the same with SMWS, fastest finger first on most bottles when released.
They really need to sort out their website as it's a nightmare for crashing when they release bottles. I had a Bunna in my cart as well but the checkout crashed due to overload and by the time I refreshed it the Bunna was gone.

Been a member of SMWS for years but not sure I'll renew unless they sort out the carnage of ordering. Be better just holding a members ballot for oversubscribed bottles. I'm getting better value bottles from Whiskybroker, Single Cask Co & Chorlton in most cases anyway.

Always the same with SMWS, fastest finger first on most bottles when released.
They really need to sort out their website as it's a nightmare for crashing when they release bottles. I had a Bunna in my cart as well but the checkout crashed due to overload and by the time I refreshed it the Bunna was gone.

Been a member of SMWS for years but not sure I'll renew unless they sort out the carnage of ordering. Be better just holding a members ballot for oversubscribed bottles. I'm getting better value bottles from Whiskybroker, Single Cask Co & Chorlton in most cases anyway.
Any of the current single cask co bottlings you recommend?

Any of the current single cask co bottlings you recommend?
The Caol Ila 307362
Benrinnes 302110
Ardmore 705212a
Are decent if nothing spectacular IMO.

I can't quite make my mind up about the Islay ex red wine barrique. It's different and I will probably have to get further down the bottle to make a final judgement. I do tend to enjoy my whisky more as it's oxygenated a bit once halfway through.
If anybody missed any Whiskybroker bottles they wanted then he may add some back to the website manually on Monday to account for any failed transactions.

Last edited:
using these first auctions to get an idea of what stuff goes for, and I’m starting to get a feel for likely prices, certainly on OB
Prices can differ quite a lot on SWA and the like, I've seen sub £200 bottles sell for £60 less one month than the previous one, and also the same the other way around. It just depends on demand really

If anyone missed out on a bottle they wanted from Whiskybroker, it seems that there will be some unsold stock available on Monday when the dust has settled according to their Bellendbook page.

If anyone missed out on a bottle they wanted from Whiskybroker, it seems that there will be some unsold stock available on Monday when the dust has settled according to their Bellendbook page.

They quite often don’t release 100% of their stock in one go so it’s always worth monitoring if you’ve missed something you wanted.

Back