Whisky

Was looking at 18yo Yamazaki just there, 70cl going for around £400, 5cl going for £800 :eek:

Minis are very collectible. What’s galling is that it’s only a couple of years ago that you could buy 18yo Yama minis on the Shinkansen. You can still get Hibiki 17 minis which sell quite well too.

Last edited:

My bottles are presently collectively going for £8k more than I expected.

I have a few very decent bottles though I don’t really keep them for special occasions - I usually crack them with friends. The exception is 1 bottle I’m keeping for my 50th, though that’s a few years away yet.
I noticed out of all the WLW the 2016 release is attracting the highest bids by a fair stretch.

Don’t really know why. Most of the WLW’s typically go for a tidy sum.
I finished the rest of those samples this week and it was my favourite of them all by a stretch. You were right about that and the Thomas H Handy being the pick of the bunch, although I really liked the Eagle Rare too, I'm a huge fan of the 10 though (don't think it's worth its secondary asking price mind) The Sazerac was nice, tasted like a more refined version of the normal release however the George T Stagg wasn't really up my street but it was great to try it nonetheless.

Thanks very much for the opportunity mate, much appreciated it helped make my birthday weekend :D

I finished the rest of those samples this week and it was my favourite of them all by a stretch. You were right about that and the Thomas H Handy being the pick of the bunch, although I really liked the Eagle Rare too, I'm a huge fan of the 10 though (don't think it's worth its secondary asking price mind) The Sazerac was nice, tasted like a more refined version of the normal release however the George T Stagg wasn't really up my street but it was great to try it nonetheless.

Thanks very much for the opportunity mate, much appreciated it helped make my birthday weekend :D

Happy Birthday fella. No worries re the samples.
Ended up with a Ben Nevis and a Deanston from the auction. Only bid on one other bottle so I’m fairly happy with that.

Last edited:

Here's a quick question for you all then. What age were you when you started to 'appreciate' Whisky?

I was in my mid-late 40's before I actually took to it. Started to accept a dram out of the Winter League golf hip flasks that I'd kind of ignored up to that point in my life.

Probably just as well for me, I'd have dipped in again no doubt.

aye...an expensive month for me so whisky took a back seat ( new bike turbo bought and Eurotunnel booked for August and prices have gone nuts )

Next month might loosen the purse strings :lol:

Here's a quick question for you all then. What age were you when you started to 'appreciate' Whisky?

I was in my mid-late 40's before I actually took to it. Started to accept a dram out of the Winter League golf hip flasks that I'd kind of ignored up to that point in my life.

Whisky was my drink of teenage regret and I couldn’t even bring myself to smell it for many years. My wife started getting into it as a shared interest with her father and I started trying an occasional dram at her behest. Got really into it after that in my late thirties.

Whisky was my drink of teenage regret and I couldn’t even bring myself to smell it for many years. My wife started getting into it as a shared interest with her father and I started trying an occasional dram at her behest. Got really into it after that in my late thirties.
My story has a similar beginning... I also made myself very ill as a teenager with a bottle of scotch so wouldn't go near it for years. My Da and brother in law have always been massive fans though, they've visited a ton of distilleries over the years whereas I've only been to a couple which was quite recently. I took to American at first as it's obviously nothing like scotch, I suppose eventually my Da and bro in law wore me down. I tried one that I liked, followed by another then another etc etc...

mid to late 40’s I’d say...like many I’d associated whisky as Bells etc..
Think the Balvennie Doublewood or Glendronach 12 were the first malts I had and thought wow

Back