Whisky

Looks like it's been and gone from RoyalMileWhiskies

The Eagle has landed. Still no boxes, everything just in tissue paper then bubble-wrapped by the shop.
Springbank still trying to palm it off as an 'industry leading' move to bin the tubes/boxes (seen more than one website make a big hoo hah about it) whereas (thanks to @shakerman) we all know different...

I actually find it annoying how they're claiming to be leading the way by ditching packaging, not only cos we know it's a load of old shite in the sense discussed but it's also a load of shite in the sense that there was a genuine industry leading move not long ago by other distilleries who actually did decide to bin off unnecessary packaging for the greater good! Why not afford them the credit they're due and simply say they were adding their name to the already growing list?

I don't understand why Springbank feel the need to make false claims, other than to blow smoke up their own arses like. Surely given the quality and popularity of spirit they knock out they shouldn't be arsed with such things though 😕😒

Springbank still trying to palm it off as an 'industry leading' move to bin the tubes/boxes (seen more than one website make a big hoo hah about it) whereas (thanks to @shakerman) we all know different...

I actually find it annoying how they're claiming to be leading the way by ditching packaging, not only cos we know it's a load of old shite in the sense discussed but it's also a load of shite in the sense that there was a genuine industry leading move not long ago by other distilleries who actually did decide to bin off unnecessary packaging for the greater good! Why not afford them the credit they're due and simply say they were adding their name to the already growing list?

I don't understand why Springbank feel the need to make false claims, other than to blow smoke up their own arses like. Surely given the quality and popularity of spirit they knock out they shouldn't be arsed with such things though 😕😒
What was the other explanation again ?

They do seem quite up their own arse now like. I'll probably get shot down for this but I genuinely don't believe it's worth the hype they get. Don't get me wrong, they distill a very nice dram but so do plenty of others now. In fairness to them though, they are decent with prices for their core range. I mean the KK batch 5 this week, c£40 for a cask strength whisky, you can't get vexed at that.

I prefer single malt but I’ve just picked up a nice bottle of bourbon. Nice to mix it up every now and then. Woodford reserve :cool::cool:

They do seem quite up their own arse now like. I'll probably get shot down for this but I genuinely don't believe it's worth the hype they get. Don't get me wrong, they distill a very nice dram but so do plenty of others now. In fairness to them though, they are decent with prices for their core range. I mean the KK batch 5 this week, c£40 for a cask strength whisky, you can't get vexed at that.
I think they do deserve a lot of credit for their approach to whisky making, as in everything's done on site etc as ideally you'd want it to be. And as you mention they knock out a damned good dram and don't ask the earth for it. The hype's built around it's availability or lack thereof however, and with all the attention they get it's peeved me off a bit that they're talking shite looking for more.

I work in the waste industry though and since I started I've bucked up my own ideas and thoughts on recycling and stuff. I see first hand the stuff that goes into landfill which could be easily recycled but for the fact it'd cost the company binning it to do so. It's refreshing to see or hear of big business taking steps in the right direction, whether that'd down to outside pressure or what. But equally annoying to hear a huge global brand spouting off shite to try (and succeed) and gain undeserved attention.

Sorry if it’s been covered but could anyone recommend a decent bottle of Japanese whisky reasonably priced? I’m struggling to think of what to buy the old boy for Xmas and he likes a drop.

Sorry if it’s been covered but could anyone recommend a decent bottle of Japanese whisky reasonably priced? I’m struggling to think of what to buy the old boy for Xmas and he likes a drop.
Not my strong point, only ever had nikka from the barrel and didn't like it all. Get him a nice bourbon instead 👍

I prefer single malt but I’ve just picked up a nice bottle of bourbon. Nice to mix it up every now and then. Woodford reserve :cool::cool:
I've tried several times with bourbon but I just can't get into it. Same with Rye Whisky - it just isn't for me. It's maybe because my first love has always been peated whisky, I'm getting much better and broadening my horizons these days but still prefer my peated drams to anything else.
Sorry it's not my strong area either, maybe @shakerman can advise best?

Last edited:
Nikka from the barrel or Nikka coffey malt are not a bad starting point.

These are a better option than the likes of the nas yamazaki and nikkas in supermarkets in my opinion.
Had a bottle of Coffey Malt last year and it was like drinking sugar syrup - unbelievably sweet :lol:
Got a bottle of the malt and the grain when it was first released about 3-4 yr ago and enjoyed them both, maybe it's changed as a lot of the other Japanese stuff.

Last edited:
Got a bottle of the malt and the grain when it was first released about 3-4 yr ago and enjoyed them both, maybe it's changed as a lot of the other Japanese stuff.
All down to what you like really mate, we all have our preferences. I’ve never been one for very sweet whiskies but have some mates who absolutely love them.

I've tried several times with bourbon but I just can't get into it. Same with Rye Whisky - it just isn't for me. It's maybe because my first love has always been peated whisky, I'm getting much better and broadening my horizons these days but still prefer my peated drams to anything else.

Sorry it's not my strong area either, maybe @shakerman can advise best?

I do like a good bourbon but would always go for malt as a rule. I just fancied a change this time, every now and then I’ll pick up a cognac or a brandy as well. Sorry I’m not trying to derail the whisky thread. :lol:
Peated is always my thing too, my tastes have changed as I’ve gotten older but I prefer things which taste strong. Coffee, beer, whisky etc. I had a lovely wine ale last night from the hopknocker in Durham, it was 13% and I was half cut off one can. 😁

Last edited by a moderator:

Back