Whisky

Another thing is some whisky just doesn't do it for me until I'm about a third way into the bottle, then it can turn around completely. I've had a few where I'm less than impressed with them and almost force them down until all of a sudden the penny drops one day and they taste incredible. Had a bottle once (Benromach 15) where I didn't enjoy it at all until the very last glass in the bottle, then I absolutely loved it and was gutted it was gone 🤷‍♂️ :lol:
Absolutely, if I’m not particularly enjoying a bottle after about 3 pours then it goes away to be brought back out in a few months time. Amazing how much it can change as well as your tastes changing. I find this with sherry/port/red wine casks in particular if I open them in summer. Bring them back in winter and I usually enjoy them much more.

Conversely some bottles fade after oxidisation. I’ve found the sherried Daftmills need to be consumed fairly swiftly as they decline quite rapidly after opening.

I’ve had a similar experience with bourbon cask Glenturret - very fruity when first opened but loses most of the fruitiness after a couple of months of being opened.

Absolutely, if I’m not particularly enjoying a bottle after about 3 pours then it goes away to be brought back out in a few months time. Amazing how much it can change as well as your tastes changing. I find this with sherry/port/red wine casks in particular if I open them in summer. Bring them back in winter and I usually enjoy them much more.
The other thing with sherry and wine casks is how some detect a sulphurous or rubber taste in the whisky they produce whereas others don't at all.

I've tasted sulphurous notes in whisky in the past but I put it down to the use of worm tubs and have actually enjoyed it, it could well have been down to cask selection however. Around Campbeltown the air can be quite heavily sulphurous at times anyway, which I believe could possibly lend to the 'Campbeltown funk' that's mentioned at times as in end up in the spirit. Islay's known for producing particularly salty whisky at times for example
Conversely some bottles fade after oxidisation. I’ve found the sherried Daftmills need to be consumed fairly swiftly as they decline quite rapidly after opening.

I’ve had a similar experience with bourbon cask Glenturret - very fruity when first opened but loses most of the fruitiness after a couple of months of being opened.
Yep, I've had bottles go the other way too. Although I've also had bottles which have undoubtedly changed as they've emptied but I've enjoyed each aspect to it.

Last edited:
The other thing with sherry and wine casks is how some detect a sulphurous or rubber taste in the whisky they produce whereas others don't at all.

I've tasted sulphurous notes in whisky in the past but I put it down to the use of worm tubs and have actually enjoyed it, it could well have been down to cask selection however. Around Campbeltown the air can be quite heavily sulphurous at times anyway, which I believe could possibly lend to the 'Campbeltown funk' that's mentioned at times as in end up in the spirit. Islay's known for producing particularly salty whisky at times for example

Yep, I've had bottles go the other way too. Although I've also had bottles which have undoubtedly changed as they've emptied but I've enjoyed each aspect to it.

Sulphur is found in every whisky as sulphides are produced during the fermentation process. The copper stills remove the sulphides from the spirit as long as there’s sufficient copper contact (size and shape of the still play a significant part).

There are still some sulphides remaining but too few to be discernible. There’s much less copper contact with worm tubs so far more likely to get a sulphured spirit.

Sulphur from cask influence is usually just down to the use of paxarette or poor cask management.

I’ve had some red wine cask whiskies that have been very sulphured so it’s not just related to sherry casks.

Sulphur is found in every whisky as sulphides are produced during the fermentation process. The copper stills remove the sulphides from the spirit as long as there’s sufficient copper contact (size and shape of the still play a significant part).

There are still some sulphides remaining but too few to be discernible. There’s much less copper contact with worm tubs so far more likely to get a sulphured spirit.

Sulphur from cask influence is usually just down to the use of paxarette or poor cask management.

I’ve had some red wine cask whiskies that have been very sulphured so it’s not just related to sherry casks.
Could be just me over imagining things but do you think the sulphurous air that hangs around Campbeltown from the sea could play a part too? As I say I know some Islay whisky is really quite salty which it takes in from the air

Could be just me over imagining things but do you think the sulphurous air that hangs around Campbeltown from the sea could play a part too? As I say I know some Islay whisky is really quite salty which it takes in from the air

Climate obviously plays an influence in terms of temperature but I don’t believe anything else does in that regard. It may do but there’s nothing to suggest it in anything I’ve heard or read.

Did you try the latest KK 8 yr old CS ( the one that loads seem to have detected sulphur) ?

I didn’t but I don’t seem to be aware/sensitive to it.

Climate obviously plays an influence in terms of temperature but I don’t believe anything else does in that regard. It may do but there’s nothing to suggest it in anything I’ve heard or read.
I've always believed that the salt you get in Islay whisky, particularly noticeable to me in Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig, comes from the fact that their aging warehouses are exposed to the sea. The casks breathe during aging which expels the angels share but also takes in its surroundings at the same time.

I've always believed that the salt you get in Islay whisky, particularly noticeable to me in Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig, comes from the fact that their aging warehouses are exposed to the sea. The casks breathe during aging which expels the angels share but also takes in its surroundings at the same time.
Agreed, I often find a saltiness in Islay whiskies, as you say, probably the salt compounds in the environment adhering to the casks.
Did you try the latest KK 8 yr old CS ( the one that loads seem to have detected sulphur) ?

I didn’t but I don’t seem to be aware/sensitive to it.
I’ve not tried the KK8 yet but I don’t find sulphur at all in the 12 CS. I wouldn’t expect to either as it was 100% bourbon. I opened a 17yo burgundy cage bottle recently which is sulphured.

Edit: just noticed you didn’t say latest re the CS. I didn’t notice sulphur in the 2020 bottle either which was 45% sherry, 25% burgundy either,

Last edited:
Agreed, I often find a saltiness in Islay whiskies, as you say, probably the salt compounds in the environment adhering to the casks.

I’ve not tried the KK8 yet but I don’t find sulphur at all in the 12 CS. I wouldn’t expect to either as it was 100% bourbon. I opened a 17yo burgundy cage bottle recently which is sulphured.

Edit: just noticed you didn’t say latest re the CS. I didn’t notice sulphur in the 2020 bottle either which was 45% sherry, 25% burgundy either,
Sorry…I did mean the 2020 bottle

@black-cat this is an interesting (see nerdy) article on the influence of the warehouse environment.
Very interesting read, thanks. As I say I think the Americans have a better handle on it being as they're able to develop the same spirit aged in the same type of oak into a number of different brands utilising warehouse placement, although age difference and cask charring undoubtedly play their part.

On another note I read somewhere else that a cask's resting position determines air flow which in turn increases or decreases evaporation. Apparently casks stood on their ends evaporate quicker than those lying on their bellies. Makes you wonder if the space saved by stacking casks on their ends is worth the extra evaporation they'll encounter to those lay on their bellies in the long run. All I know is if I was purchasing a cask, my preference would be for it to be lay on its belly

Sounds like a good excuse to buy buy buy !
I've pretty much decided I'm not buying much at all next year, going to take a year off (buying) and get through some of the stash. Well over a hundred bottles unopened now and as I buy to drink not collect or resell then it makes sense to 'liquidate the stock' :lol:
You can't take it with you!

Last edited:

Back