What's the most expensive thing you've ever drunk?

this popped in my head from the Whisky thread...

Mate came back from some place with a bottle of Johnny Walker blue Label, cost him £250-£300. tasted like silk admittedly, no way I'd spend that on a bottle though....

what's the most expensive shot or bottle the SMB has supp'd on? and was it worth it ?
Some whisky from a distillery that burnt down in the 70s, it was over £20 a shot about 10 years ago. It was f***ing incredible.

Bottle of veuve cliquot in one of the hotels in London and on the same trip drinks and food in the mandarin oriental.

Still have nightmares about it.

Some wildly overpriced bottle of vodka or champagne in new York or St tropez probably. No f***ing idea. Likely came with a sparkler in it too.

From memory, Scandinavia. Think Oslo was the worst of the three capital cities. 'Tenner a pint a good 7 years back. Tokyo about 12 years back wasn't cheap either.

Other than that London, possibly Ibiza - can't remember the prices.

Beirut's not cheap mind, but then they have happy hour from 5 to 11 - all drinks half price during that period.

Just about every other time I've had a drink, and I've had me fair share, never paid more than a fiver, but then I only drink Guinness, light ale or one of the better lagers. Saying that, I've been to a good few places and can't remember the prices but nothing else comes to mind.

Off the top of my head.... I'd say dessert wines or a special edition centenary Jameson.

I've spent a few hundred on wine in a restaurant but the mark up is deceiving isn't it
I've had wines in the £150-£200 bracket at home. They'd probably be £300ers in a restaurant. That whisky was nearly double that a bottle.

Met me Mam once in the SAS Hotel in Copenhagen. Got a round in and she wanted a brandy. Thutty two fuckin quid. A single brandy. Was only Hennessey as well. So made sure I had a taste.
That reminds me actually, I paid £118 for 2 Becks, 2 double vodkas and coke and a single whisky in some golfing hotel north of Edinburgh. The robbing bastards. :lol:

Last edited:
When I was entertains customers in my previous life, we’d regularly spend a couple of thousand on a bottle of wine at dinner for the senior people.

My largest bar bill for a group of 5 was over 30k

Crazy money.

Edit: that night helped me secure a 6 million contract.

Sore knees?

I don't normally drink Whisky but had some a few months ago that you cannot buy, not sure if that makes it priceless.

Last edited:
Hennessy Paradis which is about £1000 a bottle. Gone through more than my fair share of other absurd spirits in various airline lounges. Most expensive wine was probably Grand Siecle which is about £150 a bottle, courtesy of BA. Ordered a bottle of Grey Goose in a Vegas club so we could get a booth and the bill was $1000. Thankfully there were 10 of us and we split it.

I've got a far few bottles locked away that I picked up years ago and never opened which have turned out to be quite a decent investment. Some Japanese whisky and a special release of Grand Marnier in particular look like delivering a decent return. I'll probably just end up drinking them through.

$500 bottle of champagne in Singapore, great at the time, big regret in the morning. Supped a several thousand dollar Japanese bottle of sake brought to the project completion in Vietnam from the big boss from japan. Was at the management table, Ivan the South African basket case removed it to the plebs table. The fallout was hilarious, uk bosses on whichunt, Japanese boss found us ant got rat arsed with us, we poured him into his limo later, asking us to join him in karaoke.
Aye they clearly don’t take prisoners at that level.

Was taken to meal in Shanghai in a famous tall restaurant looking over the city by shanghai electric, that came to around $10k. Was told when the bosses in town, they were in the private room with best view, it was triple plus what we’d been given. The Chinese know how to put on a do, money is not an issue.

My ex boss took the customs bureau out for dinner at the hotel next to the Birds Nest stadium in Beijing, he had three colleagues with him and the first went to pay the bill then after a bit the second and the third went - finally they came back for the boss. The bill was so high the other three lads had maxed out their credit cards and they needed him to pay the rest. As regards drink probably some 10 year old Mao Tai in China which was a couple of hundred quid a bottle and tasted like absolute crap.

Hennessy Paradis which is about £1000 a bottle. Gone through more than my fair share of other absurd spirits in various airline lounges. Most expensive wine was probably Grand Siecle which is about £150 a bottle, courtesy of BA. Ordered a bottle of Grey Goose in a Vegas club so we could get a booth and the bill was $1000. Thankfully there were 10 of us and we split it.

I've got a far few bottles locked away that I picked up years ago and never opened which have turned out to be quite a decent investment. Some Japanese whisky and a special release of Grand Marnier in particular look like delivering a decent return. I'll probably just end up drinking them through.
Jap Whisky's go for crazy money, I've yet to try one..

Back