What was your favourite / least favourite lesson at school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved history. Liked Geography except that one of the teachers was a complete knobhead who used to mark my work down for no reason.

Hated anything vaguely creative - art, technical drawing, metalwork - though I didn't mind woodwork. Although nobody realised at the time, I suffer from a condition called aphantasia which means I have no ability to visualise, and my brain just doesnt work with pictures at all.

History, English, Art and Media Studies were my favourites but I detested maths, chemistry, physics and PE (didn't mind biology, CDT and IT).

Found IT painfully boring. Just learning how to use Excel and run algorithms, and by the end of each lesson I'd end up in trouble because my concentration had gone and I'd start f***ing around.

Loved English (probably because that was the only subject I truly excelled at) and science, particularly biology and physics

I hated Chemistry.
My teacher wasnt the problem, he was canny, but so much of it I just could not wrap my head around. I just didnt get it. Bizarrely I did far better in my exams than I ever thought possible. So something must have stuck.

I really enjoyed German and had a bit of a flair for it. Had a decent teacher who had lived in Germany and knew all the trivial bits about Germany that he would pad out a lesson with. I remember he had Stuttgart, Hertha Berlin and Borussia Monchengladbach pennants or minikits in his classroom. Funny what sticks in your head!
Always regret not following his advice and carrying on with it when I left school.

Favourite: Chemistry
Worst: Art

I wasn’t arsed at all about History at school and not until I was quite a bit older. Now it would be the first section of a bookshop I’d go to and if I was do do another degree it would be History or Archaeology without a doubt.

Girlie swot?!?!

There’s definitely a trend in this thread about the teachers. I do however understand that some kids are little shits no matter how good the teacher is
Yeah our PE teacher used to stand at the side of the long jump rubbing his hands together saying 'marvellous' as the girls ran and did their attempts past him. Dirty old perv, nee wonder I hated athletics

I once did ridiculously well in a mid-term Chemistry test in the 4th year which I think is Y10 in new money. I hadn’t appreciated that it would be unwise to get so many of the questions correct. (“No man.... write M2 for methane not CH4!!!”)

After the lesson as we were picking up our coats from the pegs outside the lab this girl who I liked came right up to me and shouted “SWOT!” In my face. I was absolutely mortified and gutted. It was at that point that I learned it was not a good thing to write all correct answers in tests and I never put my hand up in class again to answer a question.

I was proper shit at Art though.

Loved history. Liked Geography except that one of the teachers was a complete knobhead who used to mark my work down for no reason.

Hated anything vaguely creative - art, technical drawing, metalwork - though I didn't mind woodwork. Although nobody realised at the time, I suffer from a condition called aphantasia which means I have no ability to visualise, and my brain just doesnt work with pictures at all.

Woodwork 😂 just like Neville

Loved PE

Didn't really hate any other lessons teachers were superb at my school but I did get bullied for being a Sunderland fan

Favourite - PE cos I was dead sporty (still am) and a natural. Academically English, maths, geography history. Didn't mind science and metalwork/woodwork for a laugh without necessarily being any good.

Least favourite - RE, art, French.

Loved learning and still do. Hated my secondary school with a passion though. The mainly uninterested teachers made it a graveyard of ambition.

Last edited:
Favourite geography, the only subject I was any good at.
My brain used to idle in neutral during maths and RE as I found both subjects as unfathomable as quantum physics.

Not very artistic so either music or art. Also despised Latin.

Favourite was either chemistry or sports.

My music teacher eventually gave up and let me go and practice goal kicking in the rugby pitch during his lessons. The breaking point was us using electronic keyboards and whilst everyone else was tapping out greensleeves I had set it to cow and was making it moo.

Hated them all . You didn't fuck about totally at my school unless you were a complete mentalist (I was borderline ) so I found it all very boring.
I liked parts of English ( comprehension , creative writing but not grammer) and history but I especially hated physics . No room for individuality or opinion in physics I think.

Hated all lessons and school, anyone who says school years are the best days of your life, to you I say, absolute bollocks....

at a push though - Art was the best

Favourites were maths, music and French.

Least favourite were art and the technologies (woodwork, needlework, all that). Absolutely hopeless at all of them. :lol:

I'm surprised to see so many people mentioning Latin. I didn't realise that many schools in the northeast offered it.

Away from P.E/Sport
Favorite(s): Geography & History
Least: English & Maths. Special mention to wood/metal craft lesson, went from a decent class, to living hell in the last year when they put a few of the wrong uns from Buttershaw Estate in our class. 1.5h of trying to avoid being stabbed, burned or being robbed.

French... We had a MILF as the teacher. Every lesson she would wear something to tease all the lads. Buttons open on her Blouse or Shirt just to show a bit of Cleavage... Tight skirts or a dress that you could make our the straps of her suspenders. Never learnt fluent French just the odd phrases. Think I got a CSE grade D

It depended on which teacher was teaching us, over the years.
I hated history because of the woman that taught us. She was miserable and strict. There was no fun element to any of her history lessons. She was Scottish. We called her scotch haggis, at the time. I didn't even know why until later in the year, because I didn't know what a haggis was. :confused:
Anyway, her name was Mrs Wilson.

We got a support teacher in for history. He was here for quite a while and simply changed my whole mindset on the lesson, because he really got into it and actually took us back with his stories and charts...etc. Just goes to show you.

I hated English with some teachers and loved it with others. Mr Lancaster was the best of the bunch. He taught us but also his story reading was top class. He really got into the characters of the stories he told. One that stands out was.....of mice and men.....
He brought us all into that story.

I loved art but hated the teacher. He was a filthy git. Tried to, not only humiliate people but sexually play with them when he would have them sat up on a table for everyone to sketch, or paint and he would run his fingers round your ball area and say, "pay p[articular attention to how the groin area is.2
The girls got a finger around their chest as he was pretending to highlight certain stuff.

I was onto him and he knew it. He used to ban me as many times as he could into isolation for shoving him away from prying his fingers at me.

The best lesson was 99% always PE, for me.
Apart from the teacher giving us the rope end across our arses for messing around when he wasn't there, he and a few other were generally decent blokes.

maths was generally ok, just boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back