What was your favourite / least favourite lesson at school?

I wonder how many teachers got away with this years ago. We had a couple of dirty pervs in our school. One PE teacher who would watch the lads in the changing room after swimming. We were one of the first schools to get our own onsite pool. Given the fact you were 12/13 with the natural awkwardness and bodily self awareness you have at that age some went in the shower with their shorts still on. He would stand at the showers and make you give him your shorts as you “can’t have a proper wash” otherwise. We just viewed him as a perv but the sinister nature didn’t hit home til years later.

Oh. My favourites were English Lit and History.
Yep, the innocence of the youth of the time in many ways, likely exploited.
Even though we called some teachers, odd and pervs, it sort of didn't mean anything, unlike what we can deduce today, from those times.

We had a few female teachers that definitely teased the lads. I think one was reprimanded for being too provocative with the lads in drama.

I never got to see any of that from the female teachers...but heard plenty....some of which was likely fantasy and far fetched from some lads but mixed in with a lot of truth, I'd guess.

I loved PE. Always got the top grade for effort in my school reports whether it was team or individual. I had a very good technique as a loose head in rugby union (though I preferred rugby league) and I remember my form tutor coming over to my desk and laughing, the morning after the staff v pupils match. He was the hooker, and saw his tight head given a flying lesson, having made the mistake of trying to stand his ground and getting his ribs bruised. He was a maths teacher and Welsh so he deserved it.

I was a natural at maths, and to this day think to myself about equations and multiplication / division sums, which I know is odd. I sailed through the maths CSE, but wasn't academically bright, so every lesson other than PE and maths was a struggle. English was my worst subject, and my CSE's had plenty of low grades, including a couple of 'ungraded', which meant "You didn't even get your f***ing name right."

Maths, so much I would jump the wall Friday morning so I didn't have to do a double lesson. f***ing hated it. Sciences , history, Geography loved them.

Favourite - German or Biology
Least Favourite - IT (teacher was a weirdo, would only help the lasses and then kick you out of class for not asking for help even though you'd already finished your work) or Business Studies (Teacher went AWOL and then we had a bunch of ringers for the rest of the year naturally almost everyone failed)

Although if we include Uni, my least favourite module was Marketing, liked the topic itself but the assignments were made as boring as possible (Produce a marketing plan for a company bringing a new product to market, chose from the following industries (Gravel suppliers, Women's jumpers or a Light bulb manufacturer) . Much preferred stuff like Strategic Project Management.

Favourite was P.E. at least it was when the smoggy teacher we had wasn't demanding absolute silence from a changing room of 30 lads before going out.

Least favourite was I.T. Mainly because every teacher who taught it was a f***ing weapon

Art, hated it as can't draw or paint but it turned out favorite lesson. Took it for an option as it was that or chemistry (no choice). First lesson in fourth year, the Art teacher asked who wanted to do pottery, my hand was first up and spent two glorious years with the pottery teacher who didn't give a toss whether we turned up or not as long as we produced the necessary work. We all used to go as the teacher was so laid back and we basically chatted on and asked him if we needed help with any of the masterpieces we were making. The Art teacher used to grab boys by the hair next to the ear (wouldn't be allowed now) and pull them along. I saw him years later in a restaurant and told him what a tosser he was as a teacher, much to the delight of the people he was with.

French. f***ing hated it. The fat ginger ham-faced cûnt who taught us hated us lads, wouldn’t help us and wrote us off from day one. Used to like a play on the coomber machine mind: recording farts and dubbing them into conversations. Class.

French. f***ing hated it. The fat ginger ham-faced cûnt who taught us hated us lads, wouldn’t help us and wrote us off from day one. Used to like a play on the coomber machine mind: recording farts and dubbing them into conversations. Class.

Did you go to Thornhill?

Favourite was art and always enjoyed it. Used to spend hours upon hours drawing my favourite cartoon characters as a kid and then really got obsessed with aztec/Inca/Egyptian design as I got older. When I was in sixth form for some reason one teacher started to have a go at me and it totally knocked my confidence and looking back was a massive turning point. I was shite at maths at school and really struggled at junior and early senior level, but ended up that through getting a part time job as a 14yr old in a cafe that my ability to do arithmetic Improved vastly (Like from crying after each lesson as I just couldn’t handle it, to moving up to top set before GCSE cut off) and I was able to grow these skills that ended up in me dropping art/design as a career option and instead focusing on business/economics.

Favourite maths and physics
Worst two were drama and geography.

The geography we did was just shit. Different worksheet each week, 3 paragraphs to read, 10 questions to answer when the answers were practically underlined and the last half of the lesson was always ‘and design a poster’. No matter what the subject a poster to tell people about the rain forest, tell people about volcanos, tell people about the top 5 industries in Peru. The teacher was not impressed when I said it was an art lesson.

Such a shame as there are areas of natural sciences, geology even bordering into anthropology that could have been really interesting, but no, we had 3 paragraphs of information per week with no particular theme. I think the teacher just picked up a random worksheet on her way out of the staff room.

PE where I was useful at running and cricket. Maths, History and Geography which I enjoyed and passed. Didn't like the rest of the subjects at O level so I failed them.

Back