What was your favourite / least favourite lesson at school?

History's class.

Cannot get enough of learning it me.

Our lass just doesn't get it at all and I have to explain to her that stories that are real, that really happened are more interesting to me than novels.
Totally sums it up for me. Can`t remember the last time I read a novel. I`ve got Alastair Horne`s Battle Of France 1940, Adam Hochschild King Leopold`s Ghost (about the atrocities of the Belgian Congo) on the go at the moment and an Audible book on Turning Points in Middle eastern History that I listen to in between listening to music. next up with be Montefiore`s Dunkirk and james Holland`s Battle of Britain and that should see me to the end of the year. Next year I move on to what happened in 1941 in WWII. Got so many books to get through, I just need more time and I buy them quicker than I`m reading them.

Totally dependant on teacher, absolutely hated and feared maths teacher until 4th year then new teacher arrived and then everything changed.
I believe that teacher changed my view on my abilities to such an extent that a new whole world opened up to me
My worst was maths . I just gave up completely . It meant chemistry and physics was fucked as well . Being so shite at maths made going to a grammar school a waste of time .It also meant I couldn't do A levels or go to university . Ten years later when our lass got pregnant and I couldn't afford to go on the piss every night I decided to reach myself using the same text book we'd had at school . I got a 1 , the best you could get then . I didn't have learning difficulties after all, it was the wankers doing the teaching that had teaching difficulties .

I don’t look back on school especially with much fondness.Adult life for me Is much more enjoyable.

Ditto. You're told what to do at school. Adult life, it's more up to you (until you get married then your opinion is whatever your lass tells you it is).
I'd have happily doe PE all day everyday, but not cross country running.

Hated Chemistry, but mainly because of the teacher

I felt the same way about English. It was just straight forward personality clash in retrospect. I was a good pupil until I ended up in this particular teacher's class the last two years at school.

I've just been reminded of another weird teacher, who launched a blackboard rubber across the room at you if you either misbehaved or fell asleep.

If the damn thing hit you, it bloody hurt.
My worst was maths . I just gave up completely . It meant chemistry and physics was fucked as well . Being so shite at maths made going to a grammar school a waste of time .It also meant I couldn't do A levels or go to university . Ten years later when our lass got pregnant and I couldn't afford to go on the piss every night I decided to reach myself using the same text book we'd had at school . I got a 1 , the best you could get then . I didn't have learning difficulties after all, it was the wankers doing the teaching that had teaching difficulties .

You get a right mix of teachers at school, lecturers at Uni. etc. Some are people persons and I always got on better with them. I performed badly with the dickheads.

Last edited:
Worst - History. Teacher would mark your work with OTT things like "NO! NO! NO!" even though you'd basically wrote down what he said in class then repeated him verbatim. All I can assume is he wanted to gaslight me and shatter what little confidence I had in myself. Just ignored the twisted old prick and passed my exam anyway.

Worst - History. Teacher would mark your work with OTT things like "NO! NO! NO!" even though you'd basically wrote down what he said in class then repeated him verbatim. All I can assume is he wanted to gaslight me and shatter what little confidence I had in myself. Just ignored the twisted old prick and passed my exam anyway.

Your teacher was Amy Winehouse?

I got "sack the spider" from the Chemistry teacher due to my handwriting, thought to be fair he was a decent bloke. I had a conversation with him at the end doing A Level and it turned out he was a Ph.D. holder and the best qualified teacher in the school.

He was too good for what was basically a rough school and could have done his job more effectively with better pupils at better schools. Why he chose our school, I don't know.

I should say Physics was my favourite because that was what I went on to do a degree in, but it wasn't.

Strangely for an atheist, my favourite subject was Religious Knowledge. The teacher was a Church of England vicar who taught part time. He was a great guy and I took delight in asking him challenging questions. If the God Delusion had been written in the sixties, I would have had his life.

Least favourite was French because I couldn't pronounce the words. One of my regrets in life is that I don't speak any foreign languages. I once witnessed my niece give a rude superior French woman a tongue lashing in her own language. The cow wasn't expecting any of us to speak the language and got the shock her life when my niece turned on her.

My art teacher was a horrendous witch of a human being an 'arl :lol:

Made a girl in our class cry once by ripping up her picture cos she asked us to draw anything we could think of and she's decided to draw a banana with a face and hands and feet and that.

It was actually pretty good aswell.
My art teacher was gorgeous and she spoke French as a second language, I was absolutely crap at art but refused to miss a lesson. ( these are the days before ink )

History was best.
Art was shit, teacher used to take the registration then leave you to it so he could go and make pots and Jugs to sell on his car boot stall.

Back