Weights before Cardio

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I had my PT my sessions were a five minute warm up on the treadmill, half an hour weights / strengthening, then twenty minutes cardio on either treadmill or bike.

I've got to get back into it. I don't miss the actual exercise but I did enjoy the satisfaction of actually doing it and knowing it was doing me good.

does any1 have any fitness plans or know where there are any i can print out onto a4 paper with exercises etc on them day by day with what to do?
Bodybuilding.com have some fantastic programmes which you can print off.

Never do both together tbh, you're not working hard enough imo if you spend ages in there

UaeExile said:
That depends what your training for, surely?

If you're training for distance sports like a marathon then get outside

The Archer said:
Or how fit you are...

Nope, don't agree with that, it's all about percentages

The new theory by some of the country's top PTs is that by doing cardio first you are exhausting your body, reducing your ability to get the optimum out of your weights session.

Additionally if you are doing the gym to lose weight they also suggest that you concentrate on your weight session as bigger muscles burn more calories over time and the session, if done right will increase your heart rate sufficiently anyway to burn the calories whilst gyming it.

It seems to me that cardio is very much believed to be a requirement for endurance based sports these days.

If you're getting to a point in your gym sessions that you are looking at things like this then you may want to by men's fitness every now and again to get your nutrition right also.

Always been told this and ignored it because I felt like I had achieved more after a long run and ending up in a real sweat, however after just doing weights I have lost loads of weight in the last 6 months. All in all its more beneficial to do weights than cardio!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're training for distance sports like a marathon then get outside

:lol: what the fuck

People train for a lot more than either just size or endurance. Some requires cardio / weights in the same day. Unless athletes have been getting it wrong all these years.

UaeExile said:
:lol: what the fuck

People train for a lot more than either just size or endurance. Some requires cardio / weights in the same day. Unless athletes have been getting it wrong all these years.

How many athletes are on the SMB wanting basic training advice like? I thought it was lads who went to the gym after work on limited time juggling with family etc

Nah...not if a fat redally unfit bloke goes in and after 10 minutes he's knacked and goes home having changed virtually nowt whereas a reasonably fit bloke does 2 hours, burns 800 calories or whatever.

Its all relative.

How many athletes are on the SMB wanting basic training advice like? I thought it was lads who went to the gym after work on limited time juggling with family etc
you said 'never do both together'. I just commented that it depends what your training for. Take kris gethins 12 week programme as an example for someone wanting to pack on muscle and lose weight. That workout has you doing 20mins cardio in the morning and a weights session followed by another 20 minutes cardio at night.

That's just one great programme which can be used by anyone.

UaeExile said:
you said 'never do both together'. I just commented that it depends what your training for. Take kris gethins 12 week programme as an example for someone wanting to pack on muscle and lose weight. That workout has you doing 20mins cardio in the morning and a weights session followed by another 20 minutes cardio at night.

I meant to post 'I' but I'm on my phone. That program isn't suitable for 90% of gym goers I'd imagine, in an ideal world I'd like try train a few times a day but juggling other commitments means I can't

Kind of agree with you. If you're getting fit for a very specific sport then you probably know what you ought to be doing anyway, or your coaches will be helping you.

Anyone asking for advice on the SMB is either a beginner or just going "Look at me, look at me I'm going to the gym." Which is, frankly, pathetic.

i'd take that programme and stick it up your arse tbh...12 weeks,pack on muscle,lose weight ffs..he'd be a f***ing multi multi millionaire if he could do that,there'd be queues outside the printers fighting for the book..

The Archer said:
Nah...not if a fat redally unfit bloke goes in and after 10 minutes he's knacked and goes home having changed virtually nowt whereas a reasonably fit bloke does 2 hours, burns 800 calories or whatever.

Its all relative.

I was mainly commenting about weights. If a newby goes in, doing a full body program for instance and hits all the major muscle groups, then can honestly say they pushed themselves as much as they could , then they shouldn't be in any state to then do cardio.

Cardio wise, I never do steady state, always HIIT, which is why I mentioned percentages. It doesn't matter if you're a newby or fit but of you do 20 min, you should be coming off knackered and top weak to do weights after

Im nay athlete like :lol: I do kettlebells once a week, 5 a side once a week and 1 or 2 sessions at the gym. Trying to shift about a stone and a half

i'd take that programme and stick it up your arse tbh...12 weeks,pack on muscle,lose weight ffs..he'd be a f***ing multi multi millionaire if he could do that,there'd be queues outside the printers fighting for the book..
:lol: how's that like? Do you not think it's possible to transform yourself in 12 weeks?

That programme has five training days a week, with two sessions a day and very specific diet and supplement plan. I done it for 5 weeks and seen great results. I just couldn't commit to continue it because of work.

:lol: how's that like? Do you not think it's possible to transform yourself in 12 weeks?

That programme has five training days a week, with two sessions a day and very specific diet and supplement plan. I done it for 5 weeks and seen great results. I just couldn't commit to continue it because of work.

and there is the key..you're a working lad and can't commit.piece of piss if you've got the time and money,lift this. eat this. take this supplement. inject this.. kerry kayes (dorians) advisor is superb for advice,in my day it was vince gironda that was the best for training tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back