Waking up from a dream and remembering it

Not a great sleeper generally but when I have a good sleep I can tend to have vivid dreams.

Last night a case in point. My mam and dad were with me a funeral of a woman I’d never met and didn’t know. Then that day’s paper started getting handed round before I left to go to a Sunderland match. I was trying to cadge a taxi with two other random fans.

Then I woke up 😂

I've never had a dream in my life. The longer it goes on, the more I'm convinced everyone else is lying about them and they don't exist. Like that 4 leaf clover bullshit.
Bloody hell you're lucky. It's got to the point now where I seem to have several a night and remember them all in great detail. Its exhausting.

Have always dreamt but has been a lot more intense over the last year, coinciding with starting to take Sertraline.

Not one to talk about dreams out and about as I know it's boring for the other person but they are that strange the kids ask every morning what I've dreamt about and spend ages laughing.

Just to add further, in normal life I have absolutely no imagination, zero. It makes me wonder if that part of the brain gets unlocked during sleep.

Last edited:
I can remember some very weird stuff from a dream about 1 in 10 mornings, 20 seconds or so later it's faded away and I can't remember a damn thing about the subject, however, overall I know there are 'settings' that are reused in a variety of dreams over years, nothing to do with what's going on and none of them are based directly on anything real. There's a shopping centre, a petrol station in front of some industrial units, and a very large hotel dining, lobby, corridors in particular that are very familiar now, but none line up even vaguely with things I know in real life.

Had a few lately where I was been followed that I found rather disturbing

And I've woke up a couple of times recently in a total panic convinced I've done something wrong but can't put my finger on it. Even checked my phone once to check I hadn't sleep-texted someone and called them a ****

Had a dream a few years ago where I was hanging out with Scarlett Johannson, somewhere, and she started to take her kit off. Woke up hungover as owt in my mate's front room surrounded by cans and his cat was having a shite in the litterbox in the corner. Hollywood ending.
, 😂😂😂
Award this fella an Oscar 👍

I had a very bizarre and somewhat uncomfortable dream experience last night. Haven’t been able to stop thinking about it all day today.

I was sitting with somebody watching a Sunderland vs Newcastle football match. Sadly we were getting beat unfortunately. Even though I am not looking directly at her, I know the person I am with watching is my Mam. She doesn’t say a thing during the match. Sub-consciously deep down I know this is a dream and I try to change things about the game but to no avail.

Now here is the thing that I found quite unsettling. Whilst I am asleep and dreaming, I become aware of somebody shuffling past my bedroom door, along the landing to go to the toilet. Part of me recognises the movement/shuffle of my Mam, and I know she is dead.

At that moment I become aware of a presence in my bedroom. I feel something on the edge of my bed. Something is pressing down hard on my shoulders. I am paralysed, unable to move. Unable to open my eyes. Unable to move my head. Unable to lift my arms, move my legs.

Not sure how long this goes on for, but suddenly I am free to move. The presence is gone and I can turn over again.….
Sounds, like others have said, sleep paralysis.

Is this the first time it has ever happened to you? It's like the weirdest thing ever, and bloody terrifying

It is however linked to anxiety and stress. Is this you at the moment? Use it as a marker, a sign that you are maybe not as well as you should be and take some time for yourself.
I've never had a dream in my life. The longer it goes on, the more I'm convinced everyone else is lying about them and they don't exist. Like that 4 leaf clover bullshit.
I'm sure I read somewhere that psychopaths don't dream. Just saying like....and away to look it up, it's probably an urban myth.

Last edited:
I have some cracking weird dreams, often after a night on the drink. Also get sleep paralysis sometimes which is terrifying.

Threw my wife out of bed to save her from spiders (she was sound asleep)

Put my jeans on in bed cos the tigers on the ground can't eat their way through denim.

Played a game of cards against a mate in my bedroom - apparently i was sitting as if on a chair.

Sawed off both my arms so i could get a good nights sleep on my front.

Hid on floor so war of the worlds monsters couldn't get me - copper chopper was on back field at the time.

The paralysis is usually a slowly creeping black hole eating up the bedroom walls and doors then working up the bed and i am awake but can't move. As it reaches my head everything catches fire and i thankfully wake up.

I usually have my eyes wide open during these shenanigans as well apparently.

Bloody hell you're lucky. It's got to the point now where I seem to have several a night and remember them all in great detail. Its exhausting.

Have always dreamt but has been a lot more intense over the last year, coinciding with starting to take Sertraline.

Not one to talk about dreams out and about as I know it's boring for the other person but they are that strange the kids ask every morning what I've dreamt about and spend ages laughing.

Just to add further, in normal life I have absolutely no imagination, zero. It makes me wonder if that part of the brain gets unlocked during sleep.
Yep medication like this exacerbates dreams. Almost like it's calming you in your waking life but there still has to be a release so you have crazy dreams at night.

Had a few lately where I was been followed that I found rather disturbing

And I've woke up a couple of times recently in a total panic convinced I've done something wrong but can't put my finger on it. Even checked my phone once to check I hadn't sleep-texted someone and called them a ****
Hate it when you are jolted out of a dream can be so disorientating.

Think I might have said this earlier but I can (not all the time) control my dreams, so direct the action within my dreams, mostly only with disturbing dreams or nightmares.

Have been able to do it since I was little cos I suffered terribly from nightmares and then just discovered I could do it. Called lucid dreaming I think. Was very surprised when I discovered everyone couldn't do it.
I'm sure I read somewhere that psychopaths don't dream. Just saying like....and away to look it up, it's probably an urban myth.
Just looked it up. Urban myth, those pyschopaths dream like the rest of us.

Last edited:

Think I might have said this earlier but I can (not all the time) control my dreams, so direct the action within my dreams, mostly only with disturbing dreams or nightmares.

Have been able to do it since I was little cos I suffered terribly from nightmares and then just discovered I could do it. Called lucid dreaming I think. Was very surprised when I discovered everyone couldn't do it.

Oh I can remember you saying that. That's the ultimate dream ability. If you can take charge of a nasty one maybe it means you have control over your life ... Or think you have.

Are you able to return to a nice one if you wake up? Think I maybe have occasionally if the waking up is brief but not sure.

Must admit I dream when I've had a drink (which is not very often) very rare when I haven't, if I remember them they don't make sense (nee gorgeous wimmin or owt like that), but always feel worn out, as if I haven't had my rest out. You know when you see these videos of people who toss and turn and don't rest, I reckon I'm like that when I dream.

Sounds, like others have said, sleep paralysis.

Is this the first time it has ever happened to you? It's like the weirdest thing ever, and bloody terrifying

It is however linked to anxiety and stress. Is this you at the moment? Use it as a marker, a sign that you are maybe not as well as you should be and take some time for yourself.

Bloody hell. Just off to sleep now and that's the last thing I read. Brilliant 🤣

Phew

Last edited:
I have some cracking weird dreams, often after a night on the drink. Also get sleep paralysis sometimes which is terrifying.

Threw my wife out of bed to save her from spiders (she was sound asleep)

Put my jeans on in bed cos the tigers on the ground can't eat their way through denim.

Played a game of cards against a mate in my bedroom - apparently i was sitting as if on a chair.

Sawed off both my arms so i could get a good nights sleep on my front.

Hid on floor so war of the worlds monsters couldn't get me - copper chopper was on back field at the time.

The paralysis is usually a slowly creeping black hole eating up the bedroom walls and doors then working up the bed and i am awake but can't move. As it reaches my head everything catches fire and i thankfully wake up.

I usually have my eyes wide open during these shenanigans as well apparently.

Some of this stuff sounds genuinely dangerous mate

Back