VW car - EGR valve needs replacing

The first thing I do every time I get a new car is find a community via Facebook / forums specifically for owners of that car / model / manufacturer. Anytime any issues come up always use that as a first point of contact for fault diagnosis, doing this has saved be quite a bit of money over the years. Chances are over the years you will acquire a trolley jack and 4 jack stands yourself for convenience, plus if you don't already have any tools you will end up collecting quite a set. Another thing is you get a wealth of "experience" with certain types of vehicles, making future purchasing decisions much more risk free.

I have no mechanical training whatsoever however if a VW golf / bora owner asked me to help them with any suspension, steering, brakes or electrical issue then I'd be confident in doing so. These skills would also transfer over to other vehicles however without the familiarity of the car.

Yeah, that’s good advice. I’ve quite a bit of kit now. Axle stands, trolley jack, sockets and spanners both imperial and metric. Suspension spring compressor, Caliper piston wind back tool and so on.
Probably be used once in most cases!:lol:

Soz man, think being back at work has got me seeing the worst in everything :lol:
We cool, bro’!
<fist bumps and twiddly finger thing...>

Yeah, that’s good advice. I’ve quite a bit of kit now. Axle stands, trolley jack, sockets and spanners both imperial and metric. Suspension spring compressor, Caliper piston wind back tool and so on.
Probably be used once in most cases!:lol:

Much better to have the gear yourself and get the experience mate instead of paying a garage to do it for you every time :cool:;)

If I had taken my cars to a garage every time I needed a hose replacement, track rod / drop link / steering arm I'd probably be a grand down just from those :lol:

how the feck have i been quoted £1400 by vw :eek:

that'll be for genuine vw parts, genuine vw labour and genuine vw coffee for the receptionist.
honestly, i'd take it to someone that gets recommended. if you don't know someone there's been plenty of places mentioned on here.
word of mouth is how most of the independents make a living and one bad experience soon spreads. good luck.

cheers for all advice by way

edit.. took it to garage I have used few times down roker , he wouldn't touch it and said its a scandal waiting to happen , has had fair few VWs with failed EGR valves and nightmare and very costly to fix as can often happen again just a couple of months later , all because of the emissions works carried out on them , reckons most garages just wont touch them .

He did say you can get a bloke (didnt say who ) to come out and re-do the car computer so that being blanked wont show up any warning lights , then it would still pass Mot etc, cost about £2-300, dunno what happens when come to sell it though ?

other choice is bite bullet and cough up £1400 to vw pulman to do the work.

still waiting to hear back from vw if they will part meet costs but not optimistic on that .. i know they should ... thing is it means I'll never trust/buy VW again so stuff like this just loses them custom in long run

anyone know anyone who comes out to change the car computer so that being blanked doesnt show up ? cheers

Last edited:
pulman say no goodwill... £1400 .. absolute twats
Get it stripped, cleaned and put back in. If that doesn't work, get it blanked and get the EUC map fixed to ignore it.
It'll not fail on emissions, so the MOT should be fine. Even if it does fail on emissions, get a terraclean done, and then it will be spot on.

Get it stripped, cleaned and put back in. If that doesn't work, get it blanked and get the EUC map fixed to ignore it.

already is blanked by aa mate , have number for someone who can map them, only worry is if when come to sell it i'm not sure if there is any comeback

already is blanked by aa mate , have number for someone who can map them, only worry is if when come to sell it i'm not sure if there is any comeback
Buyer beware.

Might be worth getting it cleaned and put back in - if it fails, it fails. Won't cost too much to find out. Then at least you know what to do next. Balls to paying £1000+ for it, if its not needed

i imagine any new owner with any sense would be glad its been done and not have the potential bill hanging over him

No comeback and TBF most people would prefer it.

So long as you get the engine hot before MOT there is no risk. An EGR is designed to redirect hot exhaust gas back into the intake on startup to increase the temperature of the engine quickly. The hotter the engine the more effective the combustion so the better the emissions on cold start.

For £1400 I’d not consider fixing it with a new (chance to fail again) EGR, not a hope in hell.

Is it 150bhp, though, with 236ft-lbs of torque? It’s a GTTDi! No equivalent petrol gets anywhere near the fuel economy I stated. It’s not a raging hot hatch by today’s standards, but it’s bloody quick and tremendous fun to drive. Top speed is 130mph! Overtaking is amazing.

If I nurse it in 6th gear on a long motorway run, I could break into the 50mpg territory. Can’t be arsed with that mind! I don’t think I’ve ever got less than 40mpg average, even when I’ve been hammering it a bit. It seems to have very consistent fuel consumption, I’ve never had any nasty surprises.

Sadly, my beloved Golf has been mothballed and is now sorned. The wife (no) finds it too difficult to get into it so now I’m driving a shitheap of a Freelander TD4, which is the worst money pit I’ve ever owned. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

I had same engine in my Seat Leon Cupra diesel and it was a peach. The turbo was a bit slow to get going but once it did it flew.

I've got a Golf Mk 7 GTD now but even though it's 180 bhp and therefore faster, it's dull compared to the Leon.

That's due to go soon as well and I'm wondering if I should get another diesel and face the governments financial fury or go back to petrol.

The new GTD coming out this year has a 225 bhp diesel in apparently.

Oh, and this.....

The Volkswagen Group is systematically refunding owners for EGR failures after the emissions "fix" | Hypermiling | Fuel saving Tips | Industry News | Forum

Last edited:
I had same engine in my Seat Leon Cupra diesel and it was a peach. The turbo was a bit slow to get going but once it did it flew.

I've got a Golf Mk 7 GTD now but even though it's 180 bhp and therefore faster, it's dull compared to the Leon.

That's due to go soon as well and I'm wondering if I should get another diesel and face the governments financial fury or go back to petrol.

The new GTD coming out this year has a 225 bhp diesel in apparently.

Oh, and this.....

The Volkswagen Group is systematically refunding owners for EGR failures after the emissions "fix" | Hypermiling | Fuel saving Tips | Industry News | Forum
Cheers mate , that link was posted earlier , apparently loads of Vw cars are having problems following the emission works but you only get a 2 year warranty , mine was 4week past the warranty . Thanks for posting anyway

I won’t get another diesel again also , too much uncertainty created by the govt

had AA out to get car started , apparently the EGR valve needs replacing , any VW owners had this done ? Is it gonna cost arm and leg?
Blanking kit take it off soak in carb cleaner/ ultrasonic cleaner.. put back on for MOTs and when you sell it.

Back