VW car - EGR valve needs replacing

How do you get through mot like that though ?

I believe from 2007 onwards models having the EGR blanked doesn't always throw up an EML so it wouldn't be a fail, just an advisory. Could be wrong mind however I had a 2004 VW Bora and was planning on blanking mine off, this was the reason I didn't bother.

I got told the EGR valve was nee good on a Vectra I had years ago. It was an air flow sensor, imagine paying a stupid amount of money to replace something that doesn’t need replacing.
Thanks to the internet, me being a bit savvy and people who actually know what they are talking about it saved me a canny wedge.

I had a light come on mine, and it was losing power and the diagnostic said EGR. The Garage said if it's just dirt the hydro clean and a good run out will probably sort it. So had it done and drove up to Scotland and back, no problems since then

Had a clogged EGR on a Ford diesel. Pulled it out, cleaned it and it was good as new until the glowplug light of death started again.

Got it on a diagnostic and it threw a turbo code. Pulled the turbo out and cleaned the variable vanes with a tin of Mr muscle oven cleaner. Problem solved for 3 months, but the bloody thing's started again.

Going to pull the entire unit and drill/tap the manifold end so I can squirt cleaner into the turbo every few weeks. Will be blanking the EGR, then setting fire to the f***ing thing if it doesn't solve it!

EGR valve is as shìte as DPF.
They get blocked due to the nature of them but.

There are more than one way to skin a cat :D

Just take it off yourself and give it a good clean - takes half an hour to get off and around the same to put back on, cleaning can take anywhere upto 24 hour depending on what method you use I.E leaving it to soak.

My personal opinion would be to get a proper blanking kit, you can get these for around £30 = No more issues further down the line.
Would it not fail the emission test.

It’s a Vw Tiguan

AA bloke has blocked it off as a temporary fix (didn’t say how long that fix would last ?)
Said should contact Vw also as it can be related to the emissions update ?

Edit. @the boot inbox cleared ?

Blanked it off not blocked
Blank it off then find a garage who will delete it from the ECU.

This. Two lads have just bought diesels at work and only do short distances.

Their dashes are lit up like christmas trees with various error codes
This is it in a nutshell, all cars are wrecked by only short journeys but diesels much more so. Most drivers are clueless fuckwits, who will drive to a corner shop for one item almost every day.

Back