VW car - EGR valve needs replacing

Just done it on my mams.

Megane with a persistent O2 sensor fault. Not spending money on something that’s not faulty. Retest took a minute, light comes on after about 10.
Id do it too. A lot of cars run perfectly fine with the eml on as you know.

Not too sure, worst case scenario you spent an hour putting the EGR valve back on before M.O.T then blank it off again afterwards.
The egr valve stays where it is in situ and the blanking plate sits between the egr and the inlet manifold. Usually a couple of bolts to remove to slide the plate in.

Last edited:
Cheers lads , as long as I know it’s safe to drive with that warning light still showing until I can get it sorted

This is it in a nutshell, all cars are wrecked by only short journeys but diesels much more so. Most drivers are clueless fuckwits, who will drive to a corner shop for one item almost every day.

It’s the additional technology bolted on to diesels for emission control that are the issue.

Diesel engines, as in the actual engine itself, don’t care about short journeys, but petrol engines can be prematurely worn or destroyed by a life of short journeys. Diesel fuel is lubricating, petrol isn’t. Rich fuel mixtures on short journeys compromise lubrication in the bores.

The moral of the story never buy a diesel car.

Much better drive than an equivalent size petrol. More torque and BHP, far better mpg. Generally much more reliable than people make out. Can last twice as long or more than a petrol engine. I cant say I’ve had one go wrong.

I dread the day I have to go back to a petrol. I get about 45mpg from my Golf with its PD150 engine, and I have a heavy foot a times. To match the performance with a petrol, I’ll be lucky to break lower 20s mpg.
It’s a no brainer for me. I’ll be picking up used diesels and driving them until they’re either priced off the roads or banned altogether.

Id do it too. A lot of cars run perfectly fine with the eml on as you know.

The egr valve stays where it is in situ and the blanking plate sits between the egr and the inlet manifold. Usually a couple of bolts to remove to slide the plate in.

I have a poor man’s egr disable on my Golf- pulled the vacuum pipe off and plugged it! :lol: Runs much, much cleaner.
I was going to get a delete kit and fit it then discovered the law was changed in March which makes it an MOT failure. Typical!

Mind, it passed the MOT with the egr disabled. I’m assuming that because it’s an older car (2002) and didn’t throw up the engine warning light, they didn’t know about it.

Last edited:
It’s the additional technology bolted on to diesels for emission control that are the issue.

Diesel engines, as in the actual engine itself, don’t care about short journeys, but petrol engines can be prematurely worn or destroyed by a life of short journeys. Diesel fuel is lubricating, petrol isn’t. Rich fuel mixtures on short journeys compromise lubrication in the bores.

Much better drive than an equivalent size petrol. More torque and BHP, far better mpg. Generally much more reliable than people make out. Can last twice as long or more than a petrol engine. I cant say I’ve had one go wrong.

I dread the day I have to go back to a petrol. I get about 45mpg from my Golf with its PD150 engine, and I have a heavy foot a times. To match the performance with a petrol, I’ll be lucky to break lower 20s mpg.
It’s a no brainer for me. I’ll be picking up used diesels and driving them until they’re either priced off the roads or banned altogether.

I have a poor man’s egr disable on my Golf- pulled the vacuum pipe off and plugged it! :lol: Runs much, much cleaner.
I was going to get a delete kit and fit it then discovered the law was changed in March which makes it an MOT failure. Typical!

Mind, it passed the MOT with the egr disabled. I’m assuming that because it’s an older car (2002) and didn’t throw up the engine warning light, they didn’t know about it.
It wont fail the mot unless the egr blank puts the eml on. It wont affect emmisions enough to fail an mot.

Had a Seat Leon Cupra, then Seat Exeo Sport and now Golf GTD.

All diesel and about 150k miles in total, no bother with engines or DPF's.

I do think that VAG's are gradually getting worse generally mind.

Is it linked to the emissions changing and screwing around with the valve, could it be changed for nowt ?

ive tried last 2 days with VW , the twats.. wont take any repsonsibility , and have quoted £1400 ! i took the car to vw yesterday blanked and have told them this morn i want it back blanked

again, im assuming its fine to drive around blanked eventhough will have a warning sign on

will try garage down roker have used in the past next week

ive tried last 2 days with VW , the twats.. wont take any repsonsibility , and have quoted £1400 ! i took the car to vw yesterday blanked and have told them this morn i want it back blanked

again, im assuming its fine to drive around blanked eventhough will have a warning sign on

will try garage down roker have used in the past next week
Any warning light is an MOT fail now. But I think you can get the ECU recoded to turn the light off.

Has anyone tried cleaning it and putting it back in yet?

Any warning light is an MOT fail now. But I think you can get the ECU recoded to turn the light off.

Has anyone tried cleaning it and putting it back in yet?

no
if its been blanked will the EGR valve still be there ? (clueless on cars)

lad at work mentioned cleaning it (terraclean?)

A good reason why. Fantastic engines.

no
if its been blanked will the EGR valve still be there ? (clueless on cars)

lad at work mentioned cleaning it (terraclean?)
I'm not sure how it works either, I always assumed "blanking" it meant bypassing it rather than removing it.
Terraclean folks do EGR cleans I think. Can't hurt.

Back