VW Campervan’s

I thought about converting something like this....

It would be nice, but I bet that's done a fair few hundred thousand miles. Expensive upkeep too. How much is one of those tyres to replace?

My cousin bought an 1960's/70's ex-Met Police riot bus in the 1980's and done it up. Bit ironic cos he was (still is) a bit of an anarchist. If owt went wrong with it him or one of his mates often had to make parts themselves.

Buy a Ducato or a similar shape and convert it yourself or pay someone. You'll have more room, better kit to your specifications and money to spare.
I’ve been fancying a weekend van for a while, but certainly wouldn’t be paying VW or Merc money. Started looking at the Nissan NV200 as a project to convert, a smaller van but will be ideal for weekend blasters.

Ah aye probably, I'd had a few when I thought of it ha ha.
Also thought if it was a good conversion someone with a few quid and a big house and storage may pay top dollar.

It’s a big vehicle and I dare say would give a similar living area to a static van if done right.

I’ve been fancying a weekend van for a while, but certainly wouldn’t be paying VW or Merc money. Started looking at the Nissan NV200 as a project to convert, a smaller van but will be ideal for weekend blasters.

The Mazda Bongo looks ripe for a mini van conversion.

They are the pointless wheels of the middle aged hipster who have Gary Glitter beards,wrap around shades,silver skull jewellery-and wear jeans that hang off their arses.
I have a 1977 type 2, love it (when it’s not in the garage) I am middle aged but don’t have the GG beard, no skull jewellery, normal shades and always prefer jeans the normal way. I would post a pic but the vans on a drive in Tanfield, must get her back 👍

Cool or not.

I know a few on here have one?

Seem to be at a premium price seen as nee one can go anywhere with any certainty.
30/40/50k for some, Christ I would need a mortgage to get one of them.
got me eye a couple as I’m not moving house now so gonna hoy some savings around.
They’re great mate, I’ve been to places I would have never been to. Like you say, they are expensive but you can’t put a price on memories and experiences
seen as cool but just too small to be really practical - especially if you are doing more than a weekend or have a couple of kids. Having the ability to stand up and walk about in a camper brings a whole new dynamic and comfort.
Stand up fine with a pop top

My nephew and his partner have been restoring/ converting T4’s and T5’s for a couple of years in spare time. He does the welding, bodywork and mechanics and she does upholstery. The rise in price has been mad even for the base vans but they’ve still managed to turn a tidy profit for doing something they love.
I’d advise getting a LWB if going for one- only a foot longer but makes a surprising difference to practicality of interior. A drive away awning also a must buy if going for more than a night or two.
I fancy an old comet or dodge van to convert myself!

My nephew and his partner have been restoring/ converting T4’s and T5’s for a couple of years in spare time. He does the welding, bodywork and mechanics and she does upholstery. The rise in price has been mad even for the base vans but they’ve still managed to turn a tidy profit for doing something they love.
I’d advise getting a LWB if going for one- only a foot longer but makes a surprising difference to practicality of interior. A drive away awning also a must buy if going for more than a night or two.
I fancy an old comet or dodge van to convert myself!

I've been looking at prices for a couple years, the cost has gone through the roof since Covid and people staying in the UK.

I'm hoping as things get back to normal there'll be a load of cheap unwanted ones about next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking at prices for a couple years, the cost has gone through the roof since Covid and people staying in the UK.

I'm hoping as things get back to normal there'll be a load of cheap unwanted ones about next year.
I’m sure it’ll even out but doubt it’ll be that soon, they’re big lifestyle purchases and people don’t usually give those up quickly. Vans to convert might be cheaper though, old knackered transits you’d be lucky to get 200 quid for a year ago are going for 8 or 900 quid!

petrol under powered old VW campers are very expensive as the op says. be better off buying a newer diesel van and converting it yourself

That brings back memories. First car we ever had as a kid was one of those. Dad bought it in 1966, I knew this as he was fond of telling me we were camping in Scotland on the day of the 1966 World Cup. First holiday we ever had, I was six. No sunroof, it had an awning you fastened to the side. In those days you could probably pick them up cheap, Dad sold it because it was hassle packing everything up at a campsite when you wanted to go somewhere, he bought a frame tent and a small trailer instead a couple of years later.

Back