VW Campervan’s

petrol under powered old VW campers are very expensive as the op says. be better off buying a newer diesel van and converting it yourself

This is £149,999 :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

do you have a place or can recommend a place that does any repairs etc in Sunderland, you know like rust removal or respray.
I use Sunderland coachworks. Tony is spot on in there and likes getting the VWs in.
Only thing I'd say, is that if you can't get away early on Friday, the idea of "motorhoming on the weekend" can be a bit of a chore.

Running around like a madman to get on the road for 6pm.
Arriving at a place/site for 8pm ish
Set up by 9pm, feeling a bit knackered
Saturday - great
Sunday, up and off the site by about lunchtime
Home by 2pm, unpack everything
Knackered by 5pm

We really didn't enjoy touring as much as we thought we would, especially not weekenders.
That's why I ended up siting my caravan.

Last edited:
Just bought a Peugeot Boxer low loader with Luton to convert. Off grid solar and water filtration so we can proper fuck off of the opportunity arises!

Nice and square so don’t lose a lot of space with curved walls etc . Loads of head room too. Big double doors (converting to split barn doors). Murphy beds, stand up shower and composting toilet.

Europe trip after a good run around Scotland wild camping where possible.

I honestly don’t see the point unless you are retired or so minted that the cost is irrelevant.

They hold their value quite well tbf if you look after them.
Beach dubbing on August 1st, Southsea Common is a good event, all kinds of Vw's on show including campers, /vans, usually some for sale...., always more there with a nice bit of weather 🌞

Never been but pencilled in for this year.

Buy a Ducato or a similar shape and convert it yourself or pay someone. You'll have more room, better kit to your specifications and money to spare.

There was a bloke in ryhope who recently passed sadly, he was in his 90s but owned one of these from new. Spent most of its time parked in a barn then used for weekends away.

Cant be many of them in original mint condition with only 1 owner.

There was a bloke in ryhope who recently passed sadly, he was in his 90s but owned one of these from new. Spent most of its time parked in a barn then used for weekends away.

I know of a car graveyard in Scotland which has several original VW campers, but unfortunately they’re fully rotted through.

Last edited:
I know of a car graveyard in Scotland which has several original VW campers, but unfortunately they’re fully rotted through.
I worked at Cowies when he got pushed out. Anyway, Sir Tom asked us to go to his lockup and clear it. Back of Hylton Road was a massive garage with about 30 cars in there, must’ve been hundreds of thousands if not millions worth.

At least one is in Beamish now.

Type II's are cool but awful for maintenance and rust.

T5 or 6 are a lot easier to maintain and solid, albeit more modern and do a self build.

that's the best thing about been retired, go off on a 8 week trip , have a general idea where to go but make it up as you go along , at the moment tend to go mon to fri when we can, went to the twice brewed inn for 2 nights great beer food and walking.
Good pizza. Macaroni cheese was shot though!

If it was an early split screen and is in mint original condition that’ll be worth a ridiculous amount of money. 50k plus I would think.
Good pizza. Macaroni cheese was shot* though!

If it was an early split screen and is in mint original condition that’ll be worth a ridiculous amount of money. 50k plus I would think.
*Shit, not shot!

Last edited:
Just bought a Peugeot Boxer low loader with Luton to convert. Off grid solar and water filtration so we can proper fuck off of the opportunity arises!

Nice and square so don’t lose a lot of space with curved walls etc . Loads of head room too. Big double doors (converting to split barn doors). Murphy beds, stand up shower and composting toilet.

I thought about converting something like this....

I'm doing the same with an XLWB Boxer van. It's a lot of work mind, but reckon I'm about half way through now.

Back