Vaux Site

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

How come it's took the useless council months to sort this out. Yet the building work that carillion were doing in Durham, resumed with different contractors after only a few weeks?

Carillion sold their share to raise funds a month before liquidation.
So avoided all the legal shite that sunderland had to deal with

Last edited:
Carillion sold their share to raise funds a month before liquidation.
So avoided all the legal shite that sunderland had to deal with

Sounds a bit dodgy. Have they preferred some creditors with the funds raised? Could that come back to bite the Durham project on the arse? Highly unlikely I would have thought, but......

It’s been quiet on here. @Unbalanced Views missed this article. He called it a long time ago with a few others.
Funny how some people see right through this council. Weiterleitungshinweis
I've just been to Newcastle and there are, as usual, quite a few new buildings going up. Sunderland has one new building (which looks awful) and it looks like it will never be completed. I try to be as positive as possible about Sunderland but the pace of change is painfully slow. The council should be bale to explain why there is so much development in Newcastle and so little in Sunderland and why it takes an age to get anything completed in Sunderland.

I've just been to Newcastle and there are, as usual, quite a few new buildings going up. Sunderland has one new building (which looks awful) and it looks like it will never be completed. I try to be as positive as possible about Sunderland but the pace of change is painfully slow. The council should be bale to explain why there is so much development in Newcastle and so little in Sunderland and why it takes an age to get anything completed in Sunderland.

Newcastle council are creative and do things such as 'lease wrappers' where they effectively agree to take on a lease of say 20 years which gives the private developer the confidence to build out as they know the end product will provide a secure income as the council are on the hook. In the meantime the council will try and seek a 3rd party to assign their lease to, often at a rent higher than they have agreed so making a positive return to the council coffers.

PS - in modern architecture terms the Vaux building looks very poor

Newcastle council are creative and do things such as 'lease wrappers' where they effectively agree to take on a lease of say 20 years which gives the private developer the confidence to build out as they know the end product will provide a secure income as the council are on the hook. In the meantime the council will try and seek a 3rd party to assign their lease to, often at a rent higher than they have agreed so making a positive return to the council coffers.

PS - in modern architecture terms the Vaux building looks very poor
Good explanation - I would be interested to see what Sunderland Council would put as the reason for the painfully slow progress in Sunderland.

To me the article shows that they at least tried to get business into the city centre but no business in their right mind would do that with the state of the city atm, the parking situation and also I believe anyone with a thriving or successful business would 100% not put it in the hands of this council. All the WDSC’s won’t help here.
As I said a long time ago how can you build a office block and fill it when the last one you built is part empty loosing money hand over fist (software centre). Even more so now when Vaux is finished as parts of the council are based in the software centre.
The beacon of light is a success, it gives kids a chance in the city to better themselves but all that will happen is sc will take all the plaudits and the free lunches on offer. What they should do is get another one knocked up on the Vaux site (north and south side) link them by light, build on its success.
Happy Xmas anyway.

To me the article shows that they at least tried to get business into the city centre but no business in their right mind would do that with the state of the city atm, the parking situation and also I believe anyone with a thriving or successful business would 100% not put it in the hands of this council. All the WDSC’s won’t help here.
As I said a long time ago how can you build a office block and fill it when the last one you built is part empty loosing money hand over fist (software centre). Even more so now when Vaux is finished as parts of the council are based in the software centre.
The beacon of light is a success, it gives kids a chance in the city to better themselves but all that will happen is sc will take all the plaudits and the free lunches on offer. What they should do is get another one knocked up on the Vaux site (north and south side) link them by light, build on its success.
Happy Xmas anyway.
Who pays for this?

I just wish it looked better than what it has turned out to be: uninspiring.

I must say like i’ve tried my hardest to like it but I’m not keen. It looks good from a certain angle (from the riverside looking up, you get the sense of it being like the front of a ship,) but driving past it isn’t very aesthetically pleasing at all. Still it’s good to see it nearing completion and looking forward to see who ends up occupying it.

Back