Vaux Site

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

Seething haha. For being right that it wouldn’t be open this year. Aye mate I’m devastated. :D

Why is the collapse of Carillion the council's fault?

What would you have done differently to appoint a new contractor, and how would you have done it in a quicker period of time?

Seething.

Why is the collapse of Carillion the council's fault?

What would you have done differently to appoint a new contractor, and how would you have done it in a quicker period of time?

Seething.
What would I do? I couldn’t do anything mate, like everall I can do is rely on the appointed councillors.
And they have not delivered what was expected for whatever reason.
The same as the.
Pier
Tall ships
Bridge
New roads
Culture award
The justice building
The sea front
The crime
The care of adults and children
The software centre
Keel sq.

Full circle here like.
Oh and I love “the early next year” bit. That’s anytime before July in reality. They have learned a lesson at least.
May the 25th happy days :cool: embarrassing if you think this is acceptable.

What would I do? I couldn’t do anything mate, like everall I can do is rely on the appointed councillors.
The same as the.
Pier
Tall ships
Bridge
New roads
Culture award
The justice building
The sea front
The crime
The software centre
Keel sq.
Full circle here like.
Oh and I love “the early next year” bit. That’s anytime before July in reality. They have learned a lesson at least.

What was wrong with the Tall Ships? Genuine question i thought it went off ok (not that i went)

The same as the.
Pier
Tall ships
Bridge
New roads
Culture award
The justice building
The sea front
The crime
The software centre
Keel sq.

Full circle here like.

If you're not happy with your councillor then put your name up and do the job yourself. Easiest thing in the world to sit on the sidelines and take pot shots.

What was wrong with the Tall Ships? Genuine question i thought it went off ok (not that i went)
Yeah it did and it was beneficial to the city no question about that at all.
But it was very disjointed, the estimated cost was out by 75% and they were 300,00 short on expected numbers. Some people think it’s acceptable as an estimate is an estimate and not in stone. To me this is acceptable when getting a car fixed or extension but not when £5 million of taxpayers money is involved and the top experts within the council are at the helm (so to speak)

If you're not happy with your councillor then put your name up and do the job yourself. Easiest thing in the world to sit on the sidelines and take pot shots.
It’s not a job I could do mate I’m too thick as it’s been pointed out. I could just vote for someone who I think is more capable. And sitting in the sidelines accepting everything is a lot easier than taking pot shots.

How come it's took the useless council months to sort this out. Yet the building work that carillion were doing in Durham, resumed with different contractors after only a few weeks?
Sorry I can’t answer this and there are no spelling mistakes in your post to skit. Well done. :lol::lol:

Last edited:
How come it's took the useless council months to sort this out. Yet the building work that carillion were doing in Durham, resumed with different contractors after only a few weeks?

Does it matter? Work has restarted now which is the main thing, with Tolent which is great news as they have done a superb job on The Beacon of Light.

But it was very disjointed, the estimated cost was out by 75% and they were 300,00 short on expected numbers. Some people think it’s acceptable as an estimate is an estimate and not in stone. To me this is acceptable when getting a car fixed or extension but not when £5 million of taxpayers money is involved and the top experts within the council are at the helm (so to speak)

Spending £5m to generate £30m is a failure?

The extra £2m spent wasn't for one-off stuff, it was for stuff that will be used long after the ships have gone. It's hardly like the Tall Ships come to Sunderland every year, it was always gonna be a bit finger in the air stuff. 120 metres more operational berthing space iirc. Both side of the lower river now made much more pleasant with all the street furniture etc improved. If they spend nowt they're damned, if they spend owt they're damned.

Ok mate cheers fair points, out of interest what was the expected numbers? Suppose numbers expected is hard to estimate and alot of factors to take into consideration weather/days of the weeks etc imagine if it had been during 6 weeks the numbers would have increased massively. This is where event organiser do themselves no favours by quoting numbers anticipated prior to events

Last edited:
Does it matter? Work has restarted now which is the main thing, with Tolent which is great news as they have done a superb job on The Beacon of Light.

It should, having a half finished building on what is such a prime location and was bigged up by the council is no good for the city.
The council should be made to answer why it took 6 months to appoint a new contractor when other councils have took far less time. Also I note from the press release Tolent have only been appointed for that 1 building. What about the rest of the site, does this mean there will be further delays in the rest of the site?
No doubt it'll be another 20 years til the site is finished.
Not Well Done Sunderland Council

How can anyone defend Sunderland council on this project or over the past 20/30 years where they have overseen a gradual decline of the city.

Ok mate cheers fair points, out of interest what was the expected numbers? Suppose numbers expected is hard to estimate and alot of factors to take into consideration weather/days of the weeks etc imagine if it had been during 6 weeks the numbers would have increased massively. This is where event organiser do themselves no favours by quoting numbers anticipated prior to events

It should, having a half finished building on what is such a prime location and was bigged up by the council is no good for the city.
The council should be made to answer why it took 6 months to appoint a new contractor when other councils have took far less time. Also I note from the press release Tolent have only been appointed for that 1 building. What about the rest of the site, does this mean there will be further delays in the rest of the site?
No doubt it'll be another 20 years til the site is finished.
Not Well Done Sunderland Council
How can the other buildings be delayed when no work has been done on them? Surely the complications for The Beam was because it was 70% done, I know if I were in charge of a large building contractor i'd want a multitude of legally water tight assurances that you were not liable for earlier work done by someone else, if that is not forthcoming then they would have check the previous work done in minute detail.

How can anyone defend Sunderland council on this project or over the past 20/30 years where they have overseen a gradual decline of the city.

The city declined because its economy was destroyed by national events, why should the council get the blame for that?

Back