Unpopular opinions you have

This has aged well.

I think it was a general opinion of many who saw a 40k (i know that is after an extended period of working) salary as being more than decent however did not fully appreciate the job they do. I include myself in the numbers who weren't fully educated as to the work they do, nor had required their services (luckily).
Given the current climate, and the fact my sons GF has recently qualified as a nurse, i obviously have a far better understanding of what they do, the hours they work, and the stress involved. Not simply a reaction to COVID. The GF looks after seriously ill children. 40K (and as newly qualified she doesn't earn close to that even working in London) should be the starting rate.

I think it was a general opinion of many who saw a 40k (i know that is after an extended period of working) salary as being more than decent however did not fully appreciate the job they do. I include myself in the numbers who weren't fully educated as to the work they do, nor had required their services (luckily).
Given the current climate, and the fact my sons GF has recently qualified as a nurse, i obviously have a far better understanding of what they do, the hours they work, and the stress involved. Not simply a reaction to COVID. The GF looks after seriously ill children. 40K (and as newly qualified she doesn't earn close to that even working in London) should be the starting rate.

I think while your point is true for many people, the OP is a complete arsehole who knew exactly what he was doing. The starting wage for a nurse is definitely too low. same applies to coppers and fire fighters.

One thing Labour would do if they got in power is give pay rises where it was due. Minimum wage or there abouts just isn't enough to live on by sensible standards.

I think while your point is true for many people, the OP is a complete arsehole who knew exactly what he was doing. The starting wage for a nurse is definitely too low. same applies to coppers and fire fighters.
Nurses, firefighters, peelers who are on the lower end of the “rank” scale (not management) look like they’re on a decent wedge. However their take home pay after pension contributions, union/professional body subs etc are all taken out isn’t exactly a fortune. Certainly not for what they’re often expected to deal with. My friends young lad is a newly qualified copper. Works shifts, regularly deals with some terrible shit and receives very little thanks for it. Takes home around £1300 a month in his hand. He’s not exactly crying poverty but it’s not a kings ransom.

Nurses, firefighters, peelers who are on the lower end of the “rank” scale (not management) look like they’re on a decent wedge. However their take home pay after pension contributions, union/professional body subs etc are all taken out isn’t exactly a fortune. Certainly not for what they’re often expected to deal with. My friends young lad is a newly qualified copper. Works shifts, regularly deals with some terrible shit and receives very little thanks for it. Takes home around £1300 a month in his hand. He’s not exactly crying poverty but it’s not a kings ransom.

They don’t though!

Their wage is atrocious for the shit they have to deal with.

Back