Underrated Fruit and Veg

I love redcurrants, normally only see them used for decoration on a dessert though, can easily finish off a whole punnet in one go.

:lol:

Many moons ago I was cooking a wok dish for someone in Hebburn. Went to the local greens shop and found most of the vegs I needed. But when I asked where the bean sprouts were the woman working there pointed me to brussel sprouts. And then to green beans when I told her that wasn't bean sprouts. She ended up telling me they didn't have any then and that she didn't know what it was. I found them next door in the supermarked instead.
Bean sprouts indeed. Hard brexit, now! ;)

Don't know how popular or not it is across the North Sea but here in DK kale is often seen as an old-fashioned veg and seems to have been going out of fashion for years. But it is very easy to grow. I have a pot on my tiny balcony and it grows very happily. And more so, kale is nice. Especially home-made kale soup on cold Winter nights.
I thought kale was seaweed until about a year ago. That’s kelp innit?

I thought kale was seaweed until about a year ago. That’s kelp innit?

:lol: Yes.

Talking seaweed. Watching an episode of Cardeners World years ago they talked about asparagus originally being a beach plant and that the best way to give them a boost in kitchen gardens is to put a layer of seaweed onto them in early Spring. I have done that for a few years but didn't get any seaweed this year. The asparagus grow just as fine without. :lol:

Someone told me yonks ago that kale is the healthiest veg around. Not sure if that is true or my leg was pulled but they Are good for you.

Last edited:
I just got some Lychee pop from the Caribbean section of Tesco and it’s class.

Diabetes in a can that stuff - lush though

Making sprouts great again.

Every now and again I like bit of Jägermeister mixed with raspberry pop. I don't seem to be able to find raspberry pop in the NE, is it not a thing in England ?

You can get some nice raspberry cordials but no it’s jot popular as a fruit pop - I’d love it as raspberry is a fave

Back