Underrated Fruit and Veg

Artichoke. My green grocer (he's from waaallsend) looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for one.

:lol:

Many moons ago I was cooking a wok dish for someone in Hebburn. Went to the local greens shop and found most of the vegs I needed. But when I asked where the bean sprouts were the woman working there pointed me to brussel sprouts. And then to green beans when I told her that wasn't bean sprouts. She ended up telling me they didn't have any then and that she didn't know what it was. I found them next door in the supermarked instead.

I like kale and grow it. It's often the last thing left after everything in the garden is gone.

Do you see much kohlrabi in your shops?

Occasionally but mostly in season. I tried growing kålrabi at the allotment a few years back but was too late netting them and the butterflies had already been and spoiled them for me. The seeds are very tiny, similar to parsley root.

Kålrabi and other root vegs are often sold here in the countryside in late Autumn after the Summer fruits and berries have stopped. You know, the stall thingies by the roadside where you pick what you like and put money into a small box kind of thing instead of a proper shop.

Live in Hungary, cannit find swede for love nor money, they feed it to horses. I'm in Sunderland right now, bought some seeds in Wilkinson's so I can have some for Christmas. Far superior range of radish type things over there though, 3 different types of cucumber available too. Kohlrabi is common enough, unfortunately it's shit.

Seems to be loads of stuff that grow great here that we don't see often in the supermarket. I planted some gooseberry bushes a couple of years ago and just picked the fruit. I always thought that they were a bitter fruit but they're really sweet.

I never see Kohl Rabi in the shops and it grows really easy over here and tastes a cross between cabbage and turnip. Why are things not popular here when they are all over Europe?
Wild asparagus, lovely in an omelette.

Love mashed swede.

Can't see the point of cauliflower.

Roasted cauliflower is lush. Deep fried cauliflower is lush. Cauliflower cheese is lush.

I haven’t eaten swede for about ten years. See no reason to change that.

Live in Hungary, cannit find swede for love nor money, they feed it to horses. I'm in Sunderland right now, bought some seeds in Wilkinson's so I can have some for Christmas. Far superior range of radish type things over there though, 3 different types of cucumber available too. Kohlrabi is common enough, unfortunately it's shit.

It’s July.

Back