Underrated bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTC are the most underrated British band ever.

They were very highly rated by a lot of people including the press - They didn't get the commercial success they deserved and appear to be somewhat forgotten these days but at the time, they were very highly thought of, especially from 1979-1982

The Sound
Comsat Angels
The Monochrome Set

I'm so glad someone agrees with me - the most criminally underrated band of all time

Always liked the Comsats too - I can't count how many times I saw them as a support band

The Long Ryders
The Black Crowes
Nashville Pussy
The Cult
Mazzy Star
Motorhead
The Hold Steady
Wooden Shjips
Jesus and Mary Chain
Stiff Little Fingers
The Band of Heathens
Japan
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Drive By Truckers
The Fall
Gov't Mule
Lloyd Cole and The Commotions
Madder Rose
Okkervil River
Redskins
Rival Sons
The The

Another band that were far better than people ever credit

I'll add the following

The Skids
Penetration
The Higsons
Magazine

Last edited:
They were very highly rated by a lot of people including the press - They didn't get the commercial success they deserved and appear to be somewhat forgotten these days but at the time, they were very highly thought of, especially from 1979-1982

It's more their latter period I think was underrated. They're an acquired taste but albums like Mummer, Skylarking and Oranges and Lemons have many moments of utter brilliance once you delve into them.

It's more their latter period I think was underrated. They're an acquired taste but albums like Mummer, Skylarking and Oranges and Lemons have many moments of utter brilliance once you delve into them.

Fair enough, but they certainly were highly thought of from the Drums and Wire period

:lol: We've been having a brothers band and or brothers in bands session at work these last couple of days!

Started when there was a Scott Walker tribute show on radio concerning a tribute concert at the Albert Hall on Tuesday neet. My mate argued until he was blue in the face that The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anywmore was by The Righteous Brothers.....he eventually relented when I offered to bet him ten pints that it was The Walker Brothers. If I'd offered a pint bet he would've took it.......I shot myself in the foot there. They were playing The Everley Brothers all day anarl.

The Webb Brothers. Sons of Jim Webb writer of Wichita Lineman and others.
The Golinski Brothers. Indie pop classic "Bloody".
The Faith Brothers. Toured with REM and drank in one of my old locals in Fulham.
Sparks
Oasis
Kinks
Beach Boys
UB40
Jesus and Mary Chain
Flying Burrito Brothers.
Prefab Sprout
AcDc
Daintees
Crowded House
Split Enz
Psychedelic Furs
Allman Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Ramones
Triffids?

Saw both the triffids and the GoBetweens. Gobetweens were way way better.
You missed the Gibb brothers

Aye......and The Osmonds, Jacksons, Jackson 5 and Dire Straits.
There'll be more.
Proclaimers ffs!

Aren't they ( or were ) from Oz?
Or is this whoosh
Swindon. Had a map of Swindon on the inside of one of their early albums which was mocked up as a A-Z type guide to their lives.....place of virginity loss, place of lsd hallucination, place of drunkeness, place of violence etc etc.

Last edited:
There was a band from Edinburgh called the Scars who made one fantastic album called Author Author in 1981 then disappeared off the face of the earth

They never get a mention these days

Superb album. I have still got the vinyl. I bought it at the same time as 'Fiction Tales' by Modern Eon. Another criminally underrated band (they only made one album as well).

Superb album. I have still got the vinyl. I bought it at the same time as 'Fiction Tales' by Modern Eon. Another criminally underrated band (they only made one album as well).
I saw Modern Eon as a support band a few times in 80/81 most notably supporting the Stranglers on the MIB tour

Excellent band who should have gone on to greater things

Their Peel session of 1981 was as good as the album in my opinion

A certain ratio never really got any recognition, I still play their stuff regularly. Also, not a band but Thomas Dolby, some of his work is fantastic, and Prefab Sprouts 'Steve McQueen' wouldn't have gotten noticed without his production.

A certain ratio never really got any recognition, I still play their stuff regularly. Also, not a band but Thomas Dolby, some of his work is fantastic, and Prefab Sprouts 'Steve McQueen' wouldn't have gotten noticed without his production.

Is it true someone from Prefab Sprout lives in Leadgate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back