Gov't Mule
Lloyd Cole and The Commotions
Madder Rose
Okkervil River
Redskins
Rival Sons
The The
Matt Johnson is tremendous like

Latest song is rather good as well, he's still got it.

Last edited:

A certain ratio never really got any recognition, I still play their stuff regularly. Also, not a band but Thomas Dolby, some of his work is fantastic, and Prefab Sprouts 'Steve McQueen' wouldn't have gotten noticed without his production.

If they'd ever removed their own heads from their own ringpieces then they may have been a far better band

Rode on the coat tails of JD and NO and Tony Wilson gave them a far easier ride than other Factory acts

If they'd ever removed their own heads from their own ringpieces then they may have been a far better band

Rode on the coat tails of JD and NO and Tony Wilson gave them a far easier ride than other Factory acts
Never get why people make this comparison, they're a completely different band, don't really understand the heads up their arse thing either, in what respect?

Never get why people make this comparison, they're a completely different band, don't really understand the heads up their arse thing either, in what respect?
They considered themselves to be a lot better than they were - they were bang average at best

They drew a lot of support from JD / New Order fans purely because they were label mates

If you ever attended a Ratio gig in those days 80%of the audience were JD fans - If Ratio hailed from Bromsgrove, no-one would have taken a blind but of notice of them but because they were on Factory they received a lot of unmerited attention and support

They considered themselves to be a lot better than they were - they were bang average at best

They drew a lot of support from JD / New Order fans purely because they were label mates
But that's just your opinion mate, which you're entitled to. I like Joy Division and New Order, I also like ACR. I also like other Factory bands, but not because of Joy Division.

If you ever attended a Ratio gig in those days 80%of the audience were JD fans - If Ratio hailed from Bromsgrove, no-one would have taken a blind but of notice of them but because they were on Factory they received a lot of unmerited attention and support
Saw them at S'land poly, Manchester Uni, The Ritz Ballroom among others, I'm sure there were Joy Division fans there, maybe they liked both?

Last edited:
But that's just your opinion mate, which you're entitled to. I like Joy Division and New Order, I also like ACR. I also like other Factory bands, but not because of Joy Division.

Saw them at S'land poly, Manchester Uni, The Ritz Ballroom among others, I'm sure there were Joy Division fans there, maybe they liked both?

Saw ACR at NCH supporting Talking Heads in 1979. They were shite. Dressed in It Ain't Half Hot Mum uniforms and covered in fake tan.
Human League got kicked off tour for playing backed by tapes. Factory stepped in to provide support acts but none of their bands could get enough time off work for the whole tour so they alternated. OMD or Joy Div or ACR.........we got the short straw.

Saw ACR at NCH supporting Talking Heads in 1979. They were shite. Dressed in It Ain't Half Hot Mum uniforms and covered in fake tan.
Human League got kicked off tour for playing backed by tapes. Factory stepped in to provide support acts but none of their bands could get enough time off work for the whole tour so they alternated. OMD or Joy Div or ACR.........we got the short straw.
Julian Cope once described The Higsons as the band that Ratio could be if any of them had anything resembling a sense of humour - I've never known a band so far up their own arse

Ask Peter Hook if he thinks Ratio hung on to JD/NO's coat tails - he probably wouldn't need to be still touring at 61 if Tony Wilson hadn't spunked so much of the proceeds of the only band(s) that made Factory any money on trying to make Ratio big

In Ear Park album by Department Of Eagles is a favourite of mine.
Thank me later.

I'd agree with James - very hardworking band who thoroughly deserved their bit of success when they got it
Are they underrated though?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back