UK’s first EV rapid charging station in Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

Looks like a plane has crashed into the ground, has a search for survivors been carried out?

World's first electrified road for charging vehicles opens in Sweden

And the less scalectrix version

Israeli firm to create electric charging road in Sweden - News - GCR

We have a lot of roads to dig up in the next 11 years.

And who’s paying for it?

Drill through a wall?

Still have cables all over the shop. Pavements will be like that scene from entrapment without catherine zeta jerns

Pikeys will be weighing them in as soon as you’ve drove off.

Last edited:
We have a lot of roads to dig up in the next 11 years.

And who’s paying for it?

Still have cables all over the shop. Pavements will be like that scene from entrapment without catherine zeta jerns

Pikeys will be weighing them in as soon as you’ve drove off.

That’ll be interesting to see given that the pads are under the tarmac and planned for motorways.

Roads used for charging vehicles sound great but can we guarantee they will not be used by the authorities to track cars and fine speeders? Or even prevent un-taxed cars being able to be charged up at all?

:lol:

As mentioned we have a lot of roads to dig up if that’s the answer.

We might have 20 years of extension cables across paths.
"Fast charging stations"

The clue is in the title of the OP.

Instead of driving to the petrol station as you do now you would go to the fast charging station instead.

Why do you keep waffling on about cables having to be everywhere?

Roads used for charging vehicles sound great but can we guarantee they will not be used by the authorities to track cars and fine speeders? Or even prevent un-taxed cars being able to be charged up at all?

So you’re asking if they could also be used to catch people who break the law?

I’m struggling to see the downside tbh.

Why do you keep waffling on about cables having to be everywhere?

Because surely for EVs to ‘work’ they need charged at home? Failing that you will need some canny large capacity rapid charging stations, think a few hundred cars parked up.

Or failing that dig up all the roads.

Add the fact about 90% of the North east park on the road there is a big problem to sort sharpish.

Because surely for EVs to ‘work’ they need charged at home? Failing that you will need some canny large capacity rapid charging stations, think a few hundred cars parked up.

Or failing that dig up all the roads.

Add the fact about 90% of the North east park on the road there is a big problem to sort sharpish.

I haven’t seen a single cable above ground for street lights mind.

There's a car on my street that charges with an extension cable across the pavement. It is going to be the norm unless councils start enforcing it.

That’s a different matter though. If there’s wireless infrastructure in place - as seems to be the plan - then there won’t be any wires at all.

My personal view is that hydrogen would be a better bet going forward because of its similarities to current practice but it seems the car makers have different ideas.

That’s a different matter though. If there’s wireless infrastructure in place - as seems to be the plan - then there won’t be any wires at all.

My personal view is that hydrogen would be a better bet going forward because of its similarities to current practice but it seems the car makers have different ideas.

Who is paying for this infrastructure? It'll cost billions.

Can you please provide links to back up your assertion that EV's are no less polluting than an economical diesel.

I've seen a few.
Might take me a while to dig them up as I'm on child watch the next few days :p

What I will say is that it's very hard to find articles and research regarding the total 'well to wheel' cost and pollution of different car types, as the number of clearly biased articles (on both sides) is mental.

Pioneering tech is always expensive. Remember CD players and MP3 players being dead expensive early 00s, dirt cheap now. A 50 much TV back in late 90s would cost you a few grand, now you can pick them up in Asda for under £300. My argument is, how many people are going to pay over the odds to be the pioneers and drive around a f***ing Nissan.

Even when the price goes down I don’t think people will be keen. That’s before you start talking about radius, charging times, infrastructure. Never mind performance, looks, diversity etc. Never mind 20 years, it’ll be a couple of generations before it’s really going.
Try driving one. People need to look at how they use their car. I've had a leaf for 6 months, it's done 4000 miles and I have only ever charged it at home. It's a lovely car to drive. There are of car journeys done every day that could be much better done in an electric car. Think of all the pollution caused by short commutes ( 50 or less) and school runs.

Too long. EV won’t catch on until you can charge them in 5 minutes and drive around for a week without needing a refill.
And they work out a way for people with no garage or driveway to own them.
Why, who drives their car for 23 hours a day. All we need are charging points in places you leave your car. If it's not moving, it's charging

Last edited:
Try driving one. People need to look at how they use their car. I've had a leaf for 6 months, it's done 4000 miles and I have only ever charged it at home. It's a lovely car to drive. There are of car journeys done every day that could be much better done in an electric car. Think of all the pollution caused by short commutes ( 50 or less) and school runs.

Why, who drives their car for 23 hours a day. All we need are charging points in places you leave your car. If it's not moving, it's charging

Or not in a car at all.

We’re already at the tipping point for EV. Most new electric vehicles have a range of over 200 miles. Most petrol/diesel hatchbacks like the Leaf have a range of about 400. For all that people complain about range anxiety it simply isn’t the issue it was even 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back