UK’s first EV rapid charging station in Sunderland

I work in a “major city” mate and I haven’t seen anything of the sort. I don’t “physically” feel exhaust fumes that dissipate into the atmosphere. If this is the case, how come somewhere like Tokyo doesn’t have a lower median life expectancy?

Because they all nip around in petrol cars, not german (10 x more polluting than claimed) diesels.

Probably.

Too long. EV won’t catch on until you can charge them in 5 minutes and drive around for a week without needing a refill.
And they work out a way for people with no garage or driveway to own them.

Struggling to sleep tonight, so have been reading some industry news and happened upon this article;

This Tweak Could Be A Gamechanger For Lithium-Ion Batteries OilPrice.com

It’s widely acknowledged that a better chemical composition for batteries will be discovered due to the current investment and the opportunity to be market leader. In the interim, it’s about tweaking current tech to squeeze the most out of what we already have.

The article references charge cycles measured in kms/ minute and if the research is correct, that little innovation will halve the industry best current charge times.

Lots of other logistical issues to deal with still, admittedly.

Last edited:
Who’s to say the “facts” in this case won’t be discounted later down the line? It was a “fact” in 1991, according to the WHO, that being gay was a “mental illness”. Things change. Who did the studies? On what sample size? Over what time period? What medical measures were used to specify the “damage”? How did they differentiate between the “damage” from traffic pollution and other pollution factors? How much “pollution” does the average person come in contact with every day? How does this change geographically? What role does genetics play? What about lifestyle factors? Who sponsored/paid for the studies? Do they have a vested interest?

Fair questions. So for balance, what research are you relying on for your view that normally aspirated cars don't cause as much pollution as people [aka scientists who've carried out peer reviewed research] say?

Only fair to see how it stacks up against, for example, these.

The amount money being pumped into r&d will transform the technology over the next decade. I fully expect new cars in the late 2020s to out perform ICEs in terms of range.

Developments in charging technology may make charging stations go the way of the portable sat nav, with a flurry of installations before they become obsolete.

So apart from brake dust etc pollution will drop massively in cities. Congestion however will be a different problem.

Back