UK’s first EV rapid charging station in Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well done indeed, however I find it annoying that people always mention how 'clean' EVs are; they've just moved the pollution somewhere else.

There’s currently a huge shift toward energy from renewables which is coincidental to a migration from fossil fuelled vehicles to EV. Yes, in the short term, it’s just moving the problem.

Well done indeed, however I find it annoying that people always mention how 'clean' EVs are; they've just moved the pollution somewhere else.

Yes, that's part of the rationale.

No form of powered transport is entirely without environmental impact but some are much less damaging than others.

The most immediate problem in built up areas is the effect of diesel emissions on air quality and anything that can improve that is a good thing.

Yes, that's part of the rationale.

No form of powered transport is entirely without environmental impact but some are much less damaging than others.

The most immediate problem in built up areas is the effect of diesel emissions on air quality and anything that can improve that is a good thing.
And presumably having the pollution centralised makes it easier to contain and/or filter?

That bit about the council saying it's committed to reducing vehicle emissions did make me laugh. There was news a few weeks ago that they're about to start building a massive new road.

There’s currently a huge shift toward energy from renewables which is coincidental to a migration from fossil fuelled vehicles to EV. Yes, in the short term, it’s just moving the problem.
This is where the real clean energy is.

However, realistically, the national grid will need a massive overhaul to cope with the change in power generation/usage plus the massive increase in demand that will come if there's a large scale uptake of EVs.

And presumably having the pollution centralised makes it easier to contain and/or filter?

I'm no authority on energy production but yes I think that's the basic idea. Add to that the increase in energy from renewables and EVs are a major step forward.

I've been banging on about this for years but the priority is to clean up air quality, as kids' lungs are particularly vulnerable to this type of pollution - CO2 emissions, a longer term problem, can be addressed later.

Well, we have an electric car and also an energy deal that's 100% renewable electricity so shove that in ya exhaust pipe :lol:

So our council taxes are being used to subside the cost of travel for Nissan Leaf owners.

That's one way you could look at it.

The other way is that the council are trying to improve the air quality in the city centre by encouraging the use of electric vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back