This $1000 Apple Monitor Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compared to windows explorer, the file management is atrocious.

For what it cost, and compared to the Dell budget laptop my eldest has, its over priced by about £200.

See above /\
Is that not because a tablet is very different from a computer, to be used in different ways?

For what it cost, and compared to the Dell budget laptop my eldest has, its over priced by about £200.
It’s not a laptop it’s not meant to be used in the same way. That doesn’t make it “f***ing shit”

the file manager ins iOS13 is considerably better than it was, it's different to file explorer but it's not running windows so you'd expect that. Also, a budget Dell laptop will weigh about 4 times as much, (Dell latitude 3500 at 2kg vs ipad air at 500g), its the same as calling a Aston Martin shit because it's only got 2 seats and is more expensive than Audi Q7 which has 7 seats, apples to oranges.

iPad is designed to be a tablet first and foremost - it's never going to compare to a laptop in terms of laptop functionality because it isn't one.

Having said that - I've done the first term of uni with just my iPad pro, pencil and keyboard and only really needed a laptop once because of a particularly awkward file with lots of fancy formatting that I couldn't get open on the iPadOS. Only got a laptop because now I've got a dyslexia diagnosis and disabled students funding the software to support it all needs a laptop to run properly - but 90% of the time I still record lectures and take notes on my iPad and then import it over onto the PC "proper" software.

Is that not because a tablet is very different from a computer, to be used in different ways?

My kids like to watch fillums on the computer.

The ipad is very fussy about which files it will play and there's bot all I can do about it sometimes.

In comparison the laptop (a budget device remember) can handle all kinds of stuff and an HDMI cable can be attached in seconds.

The ipad is also hopeless at running certain software and the software it will run is always more expensive.

The ipad is very fussy about which files it will play and there's bot all I can do about it sometimes.

In comparison the laptop (a budget device remember) can handle all kinds of stuff and an HDMI cable can be attached in seconds.

The ipad is also hopeless at running certain software and the software it will run is always more expensive.

Without being rude mate you just don’t know what you are doing.

Install something like VLC or one of the many other media apps and it’ll play anything.

You can attach a HDMI cable in seconds.

Software, that’s to be expected, different to a windows laptop.

Without being rude mate you just don’t know what you are doing.

Install something like VLC or one of the many other media apps and it’ll play anything.

You can attach a HDMI cable in seconds.

Software, that’s to be expected, different to a windows laptop.

Without wanting to be rude back, i'm not supposed to need to.

If I don't know what i'm doing, there is the problem with Apple.

They're supposed to be easier to use and intuitive, which they aren't

Seen as Apple charge £450 for a stainless steel bracelet for the Apple Watch this doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Just twelve years ago ago, Steve Jobs gave this historic presentation:

How he is missed. Since his passing, it looks like Apple have disappeared up their own fundament.

I've never seen that sort of problem. I find most things I want to do I can do easily with it, and for watching TV on the big screen I use a chrome cast. It seems a bit odd having a mobile device and then keeping it in the corner of a room with a cable.

I do a lot of development stuff, so as soon as I'm doing more serious computing then I move to a laptop. I see them as different tools for different tasks.

I've never seen that sort of problem. I find most things I want to do I can do easily with it, and for watching TV on the big screen I use a chrome cast. It seems a bit odd having a mobile device and then keeping it in the corner of a room with a cable.

I do a lot of development stuff, so as soon as I'm doing more serious computing then I move to a laptop. I see them as different tools for different tasks.

I suppose i'm just not a fan.

The price they charge for any accessory seems extortionate and with all of their marketing fluff I just expect better

I'm not disagreeing with the more serious stuff option though but.

I suppose i'm just not a fan.

The price they charge for any accessory seems extortionate and with all of their marketing fluff I just expect better

I'm not disagreeing with the more serious stuff option though but.
I'm not one of the big worshiping fans. I only originally got an iPad because I won it at a trade show. When I needed to replace it, for the spec it compared well in price to equivalent android based tablets, so I went for another. I do find that it needs less management than android. Both the kids have android tablets and I have had a few android phones. All have suffered from running out of disk space because of not cleaning up after themselves.

I wouldn't touch and iPhone or Mac Book though. For what I need both are really expensive, don't seem to offer a lot more and have the same expected life time.

I suppose my general attitude to computing these days is what fits at a decent price. I have an iPad for casual browsing, chromecasting, eBook etc, an android phone for a fifth of the cost of an iPhone, use Windows 10 at work, at home have a dual boot laptop where I mostly use Linux but some of the astronomy software I need is only in Windows, so boot into that too. It covers the four major operating systems and I just move between them as I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back