This $1000 Apple Monitor Stand

Also, a lot of people write blogs etc for Apple products, so they need good photos to use on their articles, videos etc

True. Don't get me wrong its an obscene amount of money for a height and swivel stand with some springs in it, there is nothing wrong with any of the hundreds of Dell ones we buy at work and they are included in the £150 total price. I'd understand, to an extent, if it was an optional extra and they included a solid one as standard, but not including anything crazy.

True. Don't get me wrong its an obscene amount of money for a height and swivel stand with some springs in it, there is nothing wrong with any of the hundreds of Dell ones we buy at work and they are included in the £150 total price. I'd understand, to an extent, if it was an optional extra and they included a solid one as standard, but not including anything crazy.

So it's just an actual stand and not a docking station of some sorts?

yup. They are trying to sell it because of the way it smoothly moves and is totally balanced with the use of springs and other clever stuff inside the hinge. Daft if you ask me but then so is charging £6000 for a machine with just a 8core cpu, 32gb ram and a 256gb ssd.

That's absolutely ridiculous, fools are easy parted with their money.

Especially if spent a grand on a piece of bent metal.

This isn't aimed at your normal average joe. These will be bought by studios, big design companies etc where £1000 is matterless and Apple are exploiting that.

People running the studios and big design companies must be happy wasting money if buy them.

Apple's on its way down like has been since the owner died.

Over priced crap.

People running the studios and big design companies must be happy wasting money if buy them.

Apple's on its way down like has been since the owner died.

Over priced crap.
Those kind of places exist on image so in the grand scheme it's a relatively small price to pay. It's expected of them and they'll charge it on to their clients like wounded bulls anyway

Those kind of places exist on image so in the grand scheme it's a relatively small price to pay. It's expected of them and they'll charge it on to their clients like wounded bulls anyway

Yup, that's exactly what I mean. You walk into a design place and see these dotted around you know the company is doing well which brings in trust. It's the same as when you see executives going to meetings in expensive company cars.

The ugly as fuck cheesegrater computer design irks me more. That thing is bloody hideous.

I watched some of the Apple keynote because I wanted to hear the iPadOS stuff - but the pricing of the monitor stand just made me smirk.

The ugly as fuck cheesegrater computer design irks me more. That thing is bloody hideous.

I watched some of the Apple keynote because I wanted to hear the iPadOS stuff - but the pricing of the monitor stand just made me smirk.

It made everyone in the audience gasp, enough to put the presenter off! I wouldn't be surprised if we see some cheaper solid stands being made available from 3rd parties very quickly after it launches.

Yep. Potential customer has narrowed themselves down to one of two companies - Twathat Design and Greatbunchoflads Design. Twathat has an office full of cheese graters, $6000 monitors and accompanying grand stands whereas Greatbunchoflads doesn't. Customer chooses Twathat because he's impressed by the opulence of all the top end Apple kit.

They’ve went from one extreme to the other and totally missed again.
The last Mac Pro was very prosumer and was a waste of time of a real professional machine even more so when it wasn’t updated in 6 years. This one is pro aimed, there are still a lot of questions though. The fact Nvidia won’t be working on it for graphics or cuda will limit its potential market. But even £6000 for let’s be honest pathetic specs will limit any prosumer market purchases. It’s big businesses only and I’m not sure many of those will be interested in spending £50000 on a computer that they don’t know if it’s going to be updated.
I understand why Apple are selling at the premium as once you buy it that’s it for possibly 10 years or more. But if it doesn’t get a big enough market share nobody will make things for it to upgrade it anyway.
The monitor is again very strange. Why make a monitor that is so bright that it’ll blind you! Every single person who does colour work will be working in a dim room, the other issue is the contrast ratio. There is no point working on these if only people with this monitor can see your many layers of black. Joe bloggs on his £150 dell is just going to think this is very very dark, lots of black with no detail. Also there are calibration issues.
The stand is just bat shit crazy, and I don’t care how complicated the internals are it can’t be as complicated as the iPhone X which is the same price.
I’ve been waiting for a while for this release but I think I’ll go on waiting for a couple of more years with my hackintosh. Just need Apple and Nvidia to start playing nice!!!

I suppose even if no-one bought one, it's served it's purpose. We're all talking about it.
yea not out of context at all. They are all using the new augmented reality features to see the screen broken down into components
Logon or register to see this image
How is it out of context? So they're using a fancy app to wank over the $1000 monitor stand, the app isn't even that new.

Just looks to me like a nice bit of marketing to get a load of people starting at an Apple product, holding up their Apple products.

I suppose even if no-one bought one, it's served it's purpose. We're all talking about it.

How is it out of context? So they're using a fancy app to wank over the $1000 monitor stand, the app isn't even that new.

Just looks to me like a nice bit of marketing to get a load of people starting at an Apple product, holding up their Apple products.

Because the image looks like a group of people taking photos of a stand because it's an expensive apple stand, whereas they are actually looking at the inner workings and how the screen is built via the AR software.

Some good posts. I read Creative Bloq trying to justify them not including a more billy basic stand from the off by saying it would take away from the experience. The experience of using a monitor. Proper bollocks. If the experience of using the stand was worth $999 people would pay for it regardless. $199 for a vesa mount is taking the piss as well.

I do like Apple kit but they proper take the mick. I wouldn't pay for it.

Last edited:
Because the image looks like a group of people taking photos of a stand because it's an expensive apple stand, whereas they are actually looking at the inner workings and how the screen is built via the AR software.
Just out of interest is the stand included in the ar model? (I can't see the vid at work)

The whole thing just seems to be marketing bollox to me; my photo included.

Regardless of what's on the app, Apple made a decision to have a bunch of bare stands on a table, so that any photos taken of them would look like customers fawning over said stands. If the stand is on the app, why not include the actual monitor in the real world too? Or nothing at all? Seems they went out of their way to make a feature out of the stand.

Back