This $1000 Apple Monitor Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen that sort of problem. I find most things I want to do I can do easily with it, and for watching TV on the big screen I use a chrome cast. It seems a bit odd having a mobile device and then keeping it in the corner of a room with a cable.

I do a lot of development stuff, so as soon as I'm doing more serious computing then I move to a laptop. I see them as different tools for different tasks.
Graze Snack Dine.

Graze on phones & tablets, snack on entry level desktop/laptop, dine on power PCs.

Without being rude mate you just don’t know what you are doing.

Install something like VLC or one of the many other media apps and it’ll play anything.

You can attach a HDMI cable in seconds.

Software, that’s to be expected, different to a windows laptop.
But one of the big selling points of Apple is that stuff 'just works'. One of the positives I saw a lot on here for iOS is that it is easier for people with a lack of tech knowledge to use. Having to install new software to get things to work, well, isn't that what a lot of Apple fans mock PC users for?

Last edited by a moderator:
But one of the big selling points of Apple is that stuff 'just works'. One of the positives I saw a lot on here for iOS is that it is easier for people with a lack of tech knowledge to use. Having to install new software to get things to work, well, isn't that what a lot of Apple fans mock PC users for?

It does.

The selling point is not "it's just like the windows filesystem"

iOS/iPadOS is all about Apps - that is what they are built for, so nobody mocks PC users for having to install apps, no.

iOS is very easy to use - nobody can argue that, that's probably one of the reasons iPads sell so well and are used by so many people..

It does.

The selling point is not "it's just like the windows filesystem"

iOS/iPadOS is all about Apps - that is what they are built for, so nobody mocks PC users for having to install apps, no.

iOS is very easy to use - nobody can argue that, that's probably one of the reasons iPads sell so well and are used by so many people..
I didn't refer to his mention of PC operating systems. I haven't used an iPad for a long while, but if it doesn't play all video files through its proprietary video player then I can understand his frustration/complaints. Computer illiterate folk might not think to install a new player and why should they have to, really?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't refer to his mention of PC operating systems. I haven't used an iPad for a long while, but if it doesn't play all video files through its proprietary video player then I can understand his frustration/complaints.

His argument is invalid though as a windows pc absolutely does not play all formats out of the box either, it's the nature of the beast.

His argument is invalid though as a windows pc absolutely does not play all formats out of the box either, it's the nature of the beast.
You'd expect a device like an iPad, considering how it is marketed, to play all formats out of the box, like. Well, I would anyway.

You'd expect a device like an iPad, considering how it is marketed, to play all formats out of the box, like. Well, I would anyway.

It does, if you watch as you are meant to (through Netflix, Apple TV, iTunes etc..) but we are absolutely talking "other" sources here...otherwise it'll play them.

Same as on windows, once you start downloading stuff from other places, then suddenly you need different software/codecs.

Download one free app from the App Store (as you expect with iPad) and play anything you throw at it, couldn't be easier mind.

Download one free app from the App Store (as you expect with iPad) and play anything you throw at it, couldn't be easier mind.
For us, aye. Some people are utterly useless with any sort of tech. My dad is a prime example. :lol:

For us, aye. Some people are utterly useless with any sort of tech. My dad is a prime example. :lol:

Then they should just ask for help :lol:

For the record, to keep in line with the OP, I may love apple ( a little....) but £1k for a monitor stand, words fail me!

Disclaimer, it does look absolutely mint! But £1k.... :confused:

They're going to have to get creative for the next gen monitors. $250 for an on button sir?
They will probably have separate on and off buttons at a paltty $300 each. A bargain.

Are apple users insane? It's a tool.
See post #75
Luckily for me there is no detectable history of insanity in my family. Is it only Londoners (in the UK) who are pretentious enough to buy this rubbish?
See post #75
Luckily for me there is no detectable history of insanity in my family. Is it only Londoners (in the UK) who are pretentious enough to buy this rubbish?

Last edited:
They will probably have separate on and off buttons at a paltty $300 each. A bargain.

Are apple users insane? It's a tool.

And the Black dog is Chocolate. And no insanity in my family aswell.

There is some truly uneducated crap on here. If you don’t know much about a subject learn or shut up. The Mac stand has been heralded by the people it’s aimed for as being better than what’s available and within the same price range. The monitor is not “useless” without the stand, it’s sold like that so people can use their existing monitor stands or arms.

The monitor itself is far *cheaper* than the competition while also being better. It’s for a really select audience though, people who have to professionally colour grade media - ie TV, films, photography, etc. It’s not for me or almost anyone on this board.

The Mac Pro is similar - for people who really need that power. Watched a video yesterday of two leading music producers trying it out and they were loving it. That’s the idea of the intended audience, not people who just use an iPhone or whatever.

Without wanting to be rude back, i'm not supposed to need to.

If I don't know what i'm doing, there is the problem with Apple.

They're supposed to be easier to use and intuitive, which they aren't

all films will work if you buy them. That’s how it’s meant to work.
Not try and use downloaded ones on the ipad

why ? My car can only use one type off fuel.my kettle needs water in to make a coffee.

it plays what it lets you put on officially. Not snide films.
The 50k Mac and monitor is priced at a specific market. Not joe public.

it’s like people who buy 60k on a high spec car. When a £300 will do. Totally difference uses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back