The Virtues

It was grim but excellent viewing. Stephen Graham was outstanding and whilst Meadows treads a fine line between realism and shit acting, I think he got it right. The naturalism he aims for sometimes misses the target but I think the drinking scenes were incredibly accurate.
I read an article last week that contained a few spoilers. I won't go into it but I wouldn't expect many laughs. Very promising first episode.

It was grim but excellent viewing. Stephen Graham was outstanding and whilst Meadows treads a fine line between realism and shit acting, I think he got it right. The naturalism he aims for sometimes misses the target but I think the drinking scenes were incredibly accurate.
I read an article last week that contained a few spoilers. I won't go into it but I wouldn't expect many laughs. Very promising first episode.

Was that the Shane Meadows article in The Observer/Guardian?

Having seen them all, this is correct!!

Finally got chance to watch it while the bairn was asleep. Excellent telly. Just waiting for the misery to start. I thought the pub scene was gonna end up being a big brawl like

I was drawn in to this because I'd heard PJ Harvey had made the music for it. Enjoyed Meadows' 'This Is England' and 'Dead Man's Shoes' and found this absorbing too.

In next week’s thrilling episode Stephen Graham’s character sits in Belfast bus station for the entire episode waiting for the bus to Dublin.

He wins 15 BAFTAs.

Back