The Virtues

Not an easy watch, but so worth it just to see Stephen Graham being put through the wringer. I hope it's not going to get too bleak for the character, I'm hoping for something positive, however minor.

I think maybe he and/or his sister killed their parents

that's possible... but the flashbacks when they were kids point to different angle.
If they or he had killed parents, then when his sister was being shipped off nobody would be leaving him unsupervised in upstairs bedroom?

Also, sister had always believed (or wanted to believe) he was dead... and twist at end of ep2 with that bloke recognizing/remembering him from the boy's home but 'his secret was safe with him?', and incident that led to him running off (to Liverpool) suggests to me he did something 'bad' to somebody at that boy's home?
Then there is the part where although brother/sister had not seen each other for 30 years, he told his sisters husband that he had known about their location 5 years ago? (so circs in Sheffield or UK with his ex wife/child from ep1 prompted him to then head across to Ireland?)

I think the bloke who recognized him from boy's home will have to keep looking over his shoulder from now on though!? :lol:

Last edited:
In next week’s thrilling episode Stephen Graham’s character sits in Belfast bus station for the entire episode waiting for the bus to Dublin.

He wins 15 BAFTAs.
Not far off, no bus fare so the first 20 minutes was him walking followed by a 10 minute game of guess who with his sister. had a bit kip, met the family and got a job in a frantic final half hour.

that's possible... but the flashbacks when they were kids point to different angle.
If they or he had killed parents, then when his sister was being shipped off nobody would be leaving him unsupervised in upstairs bedroom?

Also, sister had always believed (or wanted to believe) he was dead... and twist at end of ep2 with that bloke recognizing/remembering him from the boy's home but 'his secret was safe with him?', and incident that led to him running off (to Liverpool) suggests to me he did something 'bad' to somebody at that boy's home?
Then there is the part where although brother/sister had not seen each other for 30 years, he told his sisters husband that he had known about their location 5 years ago? (so circs in Sheffield or UK with his ex wife/child from ep1 prompted him to then head across to Ireland?)

I think the bloke who recognized him from boy's home will have to keep looking over his shoulder from now on though!? :lol:
Ah, you have thought about it in much more detail than me! Its such an intriguing watch. Yeah the odd bloke at the end who recognised him certainly threw a curveball into the storyline!

The first episode really put me off, great acting by Graham, really like that fella, but some scenes seemed to drag and drag with fuck all of note happening, I was bored.

Didn’t help I sat and watched it with the wife who moaned like fuck about it.
Same here. A 2 parter would of been the job. The dialogue is repetitive and we watched 15 minutes of him walking at the road side and ten minutes of him asleep. I love all their work together but finding this strung out a bit too much. 2 episodes and all we know is is kids left for Australia and he as gone to Ireland to reunite with his sister. And an underlying story of him being in a home and something happening. Hopefully it will pick up as I hate not liking this show so far.

It always seems that meadows gives a rough script and always the actors to ad-lib. If not then the acting is phenomenal as it comes across so natural
Natural? For me I want it polished, it’s like they are giving each other time to think of something by repeating their own line over and over.

Last edited:
It always seems that meadows gives a rough script and always the actors to ad-lib. If not then the acting is phenomenal as it comes across so natural

There should be more film or tv series makers like Meadows... the UK has rich history of original/great film makers (Leigh, Parker, Ridley Scott, Loach, Boyle, David Puttnam, Forsyth, etc) who took risks and were excellent most of the time... these days we get BBC and other major British tv stations opting for exaggerated drivel by the likes of Mercurio (Bodyguard/Line of Duty post series 3)?!?! - the UK has the best by far history in original tv series... why can't those providing the funds ensure we promote and support originality!?

edit: Bill Forsyth made Gregory's Girl with meagre budget of 200k … 200k?!? - originality creates brilliance... IMO ;)

Last edited:

Back