The Virtues

The first episode really put me off, great acting by Graham, really like that fella, but some scenes seemed to drag and drag with fuck all of note happening, I was bored.
We watched the first ep, and it was HARD to watch. Can't say I enjoyed it, and we didn't go back to it for almost a month.
So very pleased we did, though. Watched the rest of it over 2 nights. It was absolutely superb. Just amazing stuff.

For years my favourite actor was Kevin Spacey, which is obviously problematic (!) these days. Its Stephen Graham now, buy absolutely miles.

To be fair he was in Gangs of New York and Pirates of the Caribbean as well. Oh and Boardwalk Empire. I forgot about that.
And band of brothers
And he's the bloke in the Arctic Monkies "When the sun goes down" video iirc.

I think people are looking for something that isn't there with the husband. He will have been off doing something to do with graft and him being missing was simply to add to the drama, with his missus being in a panic as she searched for her brother.
Perfect illustration of just how frigging annoying it is when you need someone to pick up their f***ing phone.

I guessed the ending after she found out about the letters.
Read they re-shot that entire scene and changed it, after discussions during a session after filming had finished

As for the main story, I thought it was very telling that in that scene with Craig (the one with the beard?) when he was sweeping up. The very first thing that came to his mind was about getting bummed.

It always seems that meadows gives a rough script and always the actors to ad-lib. If not then the acting is phenomenal as it comes across so natural
This has become his signature spot now. You can tell there is a scene, and start, some points and an ened - everyone has their stuff to talk about, but its not fixed. That's why you get people talking over eachother and having to repeat things, especially with the kids. I imagine he sits down and talks to the kids and explains whats going on, and then tells them to ask/talk about something that they understand (like, "ask if you can have some of that bread if nobody is talking for a moment"). The kids stuff always sounds like kids talking, not like kids robotically reading from a script. Its a hell of an achievement imo.
But its starting to stick out like a sore thumb tbh, he needs to use it, but not rely on it in future I think.

Also like how you can tell loads of people aren't actors. Like in the first ep pub scene, I'd be amazed if they weren't just regulars mixed with mates of the cast and crew.

Back