The Virtues

There should be more film or tv series makers like Meadows... the UK has rich history of original/great film makers (Leigh, Parker, Ridley Scott, Loach, Boyle, David Puttnam, Forsyth, etc) who took risks and were excellent most of the time... these days we get BBC and other major British tv stations opting for exaggerated drivel by the likes of Mercurio (Bodyguard/Line of Duty post series 3)?!?! - the UK has the best by far history in original tv series... why can't those providing the funds ensure we promote and support originality!?

edit: Bill Forsyth made Gregory's Girl with meagre budget of 200k … 200k?!? - originality creates brilliance... IMO ;)
I can understand why people don't like it however I think there is room for a wider range of styles rather than aiming for the lowest common denominator. (Mercurio's latest output for example.)
Are some of the scenes too long? Possibly, but it's a deliberate stylistic choice and I hope the drip feeding of back story pays off in the later episodes.
I'm not sure I could say I'm enjoying it, it's f***ing bleak, but I suspect that as a whole, once I've watched the whole series, I'll look back on it as fantastic television.
This will sound a bit pompous but I think we need to be challenged as viewers occasionally rather than being spoon fed instant gratification.

I can understand why people don't like it however I think there is room for a wider range of styles rather than aiming for the lowest common denominator. (Mercurio's latest output for example.)
Are some of the scenes too long? Possibly, but it's a deliberate stylistic choice and I hope the drip feeding of back story pays off in the later episodes.
I'm not sure I could say I'm enjoying it, it's f***ing bleak, but I suspect that as a whole, once I've watched the whole series, I'll look back on it as fantastic television.
This will sound a bit pompous but I think we need to be challenged as viewers occasionally rather than being spoon fed instant gratification.

good summary... the way I see things is originality and slower paced under correct circs should be encouraged to combat the social media fast generation need answers now film makers who tend to come and go... the best drama series (IMO) the BBC ever made was Our Friends in The North... genius and brilliant tv... sadly the funding people will never take that type of risk again when it comes to original tv or film making... so we are off to Line of Duty season 15 or season 27 and there are now 15 or 27 H suspects all in a pub together having a chat during happy hour and Chief Constable Kate/Lol still pursuing so called justice ;)

Reminds me a bit of play for today in the 79s which often had social realist dramas which were a fairly challenging watch. We’ve sat through Chernobyl and the Viryues back to back. Luckily have been cheered up by the prospect of May being fucked off in the morning

The production is top drawer.
Reminds me a bit of play for today in the 79s which often had social realist dramas which were a fairly challenging watch. We’ve sat through Chernobyl and the Viryues back to back. Luckily have been cheered up by the prospect of May being fucked off in the morning

You're in for a disappointing day tomorrow.

The first episode really put me off, great acting by Graham, really like that fella, but some scenes seemed to drag and drag with fuck all of note happening, I was bored.

Didn’t help I sat and watched it with the wife who moaned like fuck about it.
Just watched no2 and it's all done well ,just struggling with the pace

Same here. A 2 parter would of been the job. The dialogue is repetitive and we watched 15 minutes of him walking at the road side and ten minutes of him asleep. I love all their work together but finding this strung out a bit too much. 2 episodes and all we know is is kids left for Australia and he as gone to Ireland to reunite with his sister. And an underlying story of him being in a home and something happening. Hopefully it will pick up as I hate not liking this show so far.

Natural? For me I want it polished, it’s like they are giving each other time to think of something by repeating their own line over and over.
Life isn’t like that though!

Life isn’t like that though!
That isn’t life. It’s a programme for entertainment. If I wanted to hear repetitive garbage been forced out of people’s mouths I would tell my kids to put their phones down and have a conversation with them.
I want to be entertained. This is why Shane meadows can’t do mainstream. Not saying it’s a bad thing.

That isn’t life. It’s a programme for entertainment. If I wanted to hear repetitive garbage been forced out of people’s mouths I would tell my kids to put their phones down and have a conversation with them.
I want to be entertained. This is why Shane meadows can’t do mainstream. Not saying it’s a bad thing.
Seems to me like you just don't get it

Seems to me like you just don't get it
Of course I don’t. But I do know what I like. Shane meadows work is always rough around the edges and I know he wants it to be as real as possible. But it seems amateur to me. Stephen Graham directed well is a superb actor. One of if not the best at what he does.
Would you agree that the show is strung out a little?

Of course I don’t. But I do know what I like. Shane meadows work is always rough around the edges and I know he wants it to be as real as possible. But it seems amateur to me. Stephen Graham directed well is a superb actor. One of if not the best at what he does.
Would you agree that the show is strung out a little?
Yeah it is, but I think that's the only way you can really reflect real life, as for the most part life is a bit mundane

Yeah it is, but I think that's the only way you can really reflect real life, as for the most part life is a bit mundane
Yeah I get that pal. But it’s a nighttime entertainment show it’s not real life. I live the mundane life I don’t want to experience it in tele. To me tv is escapism what ever you watch. If I watch a wildlife programme I don’t expect to sit through a hour of a bird sitting an egg. I. Want to see the conception the egg sitting and the hatching the the feeding and first flight. Not a dig mate as I love both involved and everything both have done just finding this awkward and over stretched.

Watched the first episode and won't bother. Thought that was slow but I'm sure it's going to be dark, drab and brutal for the rest of the series. I'll give it a miss.

Watched the first episode and won't bother. Thought that was slow but I'm sure it's going to be dark, drab and brutal for the rest of the series. I'll give it a miss.

That final series of This is England was proper grim. Was very good, don't get me wrong. But itbwas very heavy viewing

:cool:

Should have went at the very end of May.

Her husband will do that tonight. Oi oi

Back