The vaccine thread

Bild are quite a reputable agency though. How can they get away with such a monumental piece of fabrication?
Build is the German equivalent of the sun newspaper.
It's utter rubbish! People on here man. They had 444 over 65s in clinical trials and 30% got virus and none were hospitalised. They've now got millions of over 65s on trial around the world. STOP SCAREMONGERING
Social media is very dangerous at times.
Given that the EU has not even authorised the Oxford vaccine I'd suggest you're talking nonsense.
What is your opinion on the actual substance of the story?

Last edited:
Right, so the story on the efficacy of the Oxford/AZ vaccine appear to be bollocks, and it's all to do with the supply.

The last thing we need, or the EU needs, is political posturing/arguments over vaccine supply. It will only make things worse.

A good thread on this on twitter. The EU can fuck off trying to ruin our vaccine rollout. We should buy the EU's share and give the left over to the poorer countries.

this was always going to happen , much easier to source and roll out the vaccine for one country than a whole trading bloc like the EU. This is not a brexit bonus slant on it , just logistical fact.

The EU are now feeling the heat as their member countries will be looking at the UK numbers and program and be thinking they would like a bit of that, hence the feet stomping and threats from the EU to AstraZeneca yesterday

A good thread on this on twitter. The EU can fuck off trying to ruin our vaccine rollout. We should buy the EU's share and give the left over to the poorer countries.

If AZ are acting in accordance with their agreement/contract with the EU, then fair enough.

What we don't need is this escalating to the UK and EU fighting over a scarce (at present) commodity that saves people's lives. Nothing good can come of that.

If the supply of Pfizer is in any doubt it makes the 12 week 2nd dose delay even more questionable.....
I would hope there will be a ‘minimum guaranteed’ delivery to cover 2nd doses and then a ‘nice to have’ delivery to continue with 1st doses. Worrying if there isn’t.

If the supply of Pfizer is in any doubt it makes the 12 week 2nd dose delay even more questionable.....

If it does look like slowing up then I imagine the UK will have to start using what supplies it can get to complete the 2nd doses and all new 1st dose patients will be oxford AZ

Watching the news this morning it appears to be more about the EU knowing the volume of exports.. sounds like pressure on pfizer

This is all taking a bit of a nasty turn: Coronavirus: EU to tighten vaccine exports amid row with AstraZeneca

Uk gazumps over EU on AZ, EU undermines AZ and blocks the alternative from getting to UK. All of a sudden the UKs reluctance to confirm supply levels, and the constant warnings about supply chain issues, without ever seemingly being an issue, makes sense.

Understand where you’re coming from but I’m not so sure

Isn’t our supply of OAZ coming exclusively from a UK plant (as reward for funding project) and EU from a EU plant, if so can’t see how we have gazumped them
IMO I think ban is to ensure that OAZ fullfill it’s EU commitments first and is not sending vaccine destined for EU elsewhereI doubt they’ll try and prevent Pfizer fulfilling it’s export contracts if it’s keeping its EU supplies on track, is it legal anyway?

Isn’t our supply of OAZ coming exclusively from a UK plant (as reward for funding project) and EU from a EU plant, if so can’t see how we have gazumped them
IMO I think ban is to ensure that OAZ fullfill it’s EU commitments first and is not sending vaccine destined for EU elsewhereI doubt they’ll try and prevent Pfizer fulfilling it’s export contracts if it’s keeping its EU supplies on track, is it legal anyway?

Also the fact that their provisional order came in substantially later

Yeah mate, 95% of our OAZ supply is made in the U.K.

Hadn’t realised that. Lots of politics going on. I’ve bookmarked this story from last week where Scottish Govt got wrists slapped for revealing too much but Nicola Sturgeon (certainly not above politicising situations herself!) is confused as to why:

URL
Scotland Covid vaccine plan that included exact numbers taken offline

Also the fact that their provisional order came in substantially later

That Barristers Horse thread is quite an eye opener.

I was listening to R4 last night after I logged off and they had the editor of BILD on - he suggested all of this was posturing.

The EU are on shaky ground IMO if they block exports of a vaccine simply because it was produced in the EU.

If it does look like slowing up then I imagine the UK will have to start using what supplies it can get to complete the 2nd doses and all new 1st dose patients will be oxford AZ

We should be looking at mixing the first and second doses. I think there is a trial going on.

What is your opinion on the actual substance of the story?
The EU are very pissed off with AstraZeneca.
The main story seems to be one of AstraZeneca reneging on their contract to supply the EU with the initial agreed amount of vaccines once the vaccine is approved. They say they are going to be able to supply less than 50% of the doses previously agreed for the initial batch. Given that the EU paid 100's of millions of Euros upfront as a payment which contributed towards development of the vaccine I can understand them not being happy that at the eleventh hour AstraZeneca are not going to supply. Add to this the fact that BiotechPfizer have already said they have production problems and there will therefore be a delay in supply then I understand why the EU are not happy. Their innoculation program will be severely hampered. AstraZeneca seem short on answers about what has happened, with the company repeating they’re “doing their best” again and again without any further details to increase the production.

As for the question of efficiacy question of the AstraZeneca vaccine there seem to be questions being raised (by Germany from what I can gather) about the efficiacy in people over 65. They may not use it for their over 65's. I am struggling to find any evidence about the 8% unsourced claim made about the vaccine. But, according to the company who issued a statement on Monday night, saying such accusations are “completely incorrect” and pointing out its use in such populations had been supported by U.K. authorities. A spokesperson cited Phase 2 data published in The Lancet journal, showing that older adults generated “strong immune responses,” although this data does not show how effective the vaccine is for older people. The EU are not the only country with doubts about the effiacy, the company were very late in putting forward the vaccine for approval to the EU on January 12th, I believe the USA, Canada and Australia have raised some doubts and not yet approved it.
There seems to be very little else about the 8% claim at the moment and given that the EU are supposed to approve the vaccine on Friday it'll be interesting to see how this progresses this week.

Enraged at AstraZeneca over shortfall, EU calls for vaccine export controls

Back