The Mags have beaten us again

Mike Ashley than Ellis Short.

Ellis Short put far money into SAFC than Ashley has at Newcastle.

I still can't believe you all slag him despite when he wrote off millions of his own money to save your club.

However, Niall Quinn who took out millions out of Sunderland is a hero.

Nowt as fickle as football fans.

I still can't believe you all slag him despite when he wrote off millions of his own money to save your club.

Don’t slag him fair dos too him for clearing the debt top man.

Doesn’t change my opinion that I would have rather had Ashley in charge. Aye we’re debt free but in league one...

Under Ashley we would still be a premiership club

Absolute bollocks.

Compared yourself with Tottenham and Man U a few posts earlier man :lol:

Last edited:
I don't think any of us (well there will be some to be fair) think we should be challenging for titles etc but we all think that we should at least be competitive and spend relative to our income, even a little more than our income.
We save then splurge and sell our assets to pay for the next player, it's a good business model but not a good sports model.

As for which chairman I would have over Short or Ashley, Well Ashley but hindsight is wonderful.
Ashley has given us stability, even though you can throw in two relegation's. However what Short did when you went down was shocking, he washed his hands and said fuck ya'll.

Two things jump out at me in that thread.

The amount he says "net spend". Surely the sign of shrewd transfer business is not to have a huge net spend? Buying cheap and selling high, with no vast detriment to league position is a positive?

The fact that he mentions Almiron almost like some form of saviour. Had Almiron been a quarter of the price they'd not have had much to say about him. He looked distinctly average on the few games I saw him in.

But of course, Geordie mentality is "we are a big club" and part of that means spending big. I sometimes think they'd rather be relegated with a squad of expensive players and internationals than survive on the cheap

Probably worth looking at the shift in our results from Almiron coming in until he got injured if you want to assess his contribution to the team beyond the ‘0 goals 0 assists lol’ patter.

He’d have been a ludicrous bargain at £6m.

12 years going nowhere under Ashley. Think it's worth spinning the wheel to see where it lands.

UEFA cup, mid table most seasons, getting amazing bargin buys, financially stable. I would say they have achieved a considerable amount for a club that size.

He is a very good owner and doesn't deserve the hate.

Last edited:

If only football worked as your overly simplistic view would have it, and how teams perform is simply just a case of who spends the most money.

Of course, if you weren’t a complete fuckwit, you’d realise that the reason he needed to ‘save us’ was a result of poor spending and mismanagement on his own watch, and that if he’d taken an approach that was a little more in line with the pragmatism of someone like Mike Ashley during his tenure, we wouldn’t have been a complete basket-case and wouldn’t have suffered back to back relegations.

But I’m wasting my time even writing this as you’re glaringly incapable of any kind of objectivity or applying logic properly. Go find an echo-chamber of other dumb fucks who share and will affirm your narrow, overly-simplistic and incorrect opinions.

Last edited:

I smell Bisto.

Back