The Laughing Stock of World Cricket (AGAIN)

I think the players you mentioned need to take responsibility for their own resilience and grit and need to step up to the plate rather than blaming the coach all the time.

It's too easy to blame the coach and the ECB for the current form of the Test Match batsmen.

1) I don't think the coach will have any input into the technique of international cricketers. They've already learned their skills (and bad habits) and the coach will be more about the mental preparation ahead of a game.

2) While they ECB have certainly buggered up the County Championship, how are they responsible for Denly leaving a straight one or Bairstow continually playing booming cover drives and missing the ball ? That is purely down to the players commitment, judgement and attitude

It's too easy to blame the coach and the ECB for the current form of the Test Match batsmen.

1) I don't think the coach will have any input into the technique of international cricketers. They've already learned their skills (and bad habits) and the coach will be more about the mental preparation ahead of a game.

2) While they ECB have certainly buggered up the County Championship, how are they responsible for Denly leaving a straight one or Bairstow continually playing booming cover drives and missing the ball ? That is purely down to the players commitment, judgement and attitude

Exactly, but the ECB is to blame for everything on this board you know, you even have loads of grown up men referring to them as FTECB

Come on man, have you not seen the ties in the Lords pavilion?

I have no idea how you can predict the future and state what may or may not happen to any counties in the future.

But crack on!
Did you feel the treatment Durham received was fair and balanced?

Glamorgan were given £2 million in comparison, no points deduction, no prize money retained

It is a far deeper problem, though having the blazered Northern-hating duffers running the ECB doesn't help.

1) In chasing the money, they took test cricket off the telly. A lot of people aren't bothered about cricket any more.

2) Playing field sell-offs and the continuing erosion of teaching conditions mean that cricket is barely played in schools anymore.

3) Perhaps club cricket in its current form has had its day. Only the really committed can afford what is effectively Saturday lunch to late evening (as a minimum) taken out of their weekend. At least after a game of football you have most of the day left.

4) Weekend cricket was more attractive to kids when there wasn't an X Box at home in the bedroom. During the two and a half hours you spend fielding on a Saturday, you can fight several battles.

5) With the erosion of works teams, and the death of colliery welfares in the North East, there are fewer clubs around. Plus it is an expensive business to run a club these days.

6) Locally, the recent brutal and short-sighted treatment of Durham by the ECB, are a massive turnoff. Until recently, Durham was a veritable conveyor belt of cricketing talent for the Test side. The ECB's actions have disaffected the region, diminished the county team both financial and influentially with the public. It remains to be seen if this affects future uptake of the game locally.

No idea about answers. I love the game, and hate to see it in this state.

Did you feel the treatment Durham received was fair and balanced?

Glamorgan were given £2 million in comparison, no points deduction, no prize money retained

No I don't, thought Durham got a raw deal, I am also pretty sure both of us don't know any of the finer details of Glamorgan to make a comparison, as well as us both having no idea what will happen to any other county in the future.

What annoys me reading the threads on both the cricket and football threads is this feeling sorry for ourselves.

' It's only us' tedious stuff

It's only Sunderland who get bad decisions from refs on the football forum and it's only Durham that get treated badly on the cricket forum.

While I agree the ECB gave Durham a bad deal, that does mean they responsible for everything that goes wrong in the English game, including the England players not applying themselves correctly in the recent test matches.

No I don't, thought Durham got a raw deal, I am also pretty sure both of us don't know any of the finer details of Glamorgan to make a comparison, as well as us both having no idea what will happen to any other county in the future.

What annoys me reading the threads on both the cricket and football threads is this feeling sorry for ourselves.

It's only Sunderland who get bad decisions from refs on the football forum and it's only Durham that get treated badly on the cricket forum.

While I agree the ECB gave Durham a bad deal, that does mean they responsible for everything that goes wrong in the English game, including the England players not applying themselves correctly in the recent test matches.
Remind me of the last county that was relegated, then given a 48 point deduction, points deductions in the one day and t20 competitions and had any prize money for three years withheld?

The same organisation which is ploughing millions into a format no one wanted and is a tapping up charter for the usual suspects in grounds that were full anyway for t20 games

All in the guise of spreading the game by restricting it to 8 locales in the country that were sold out anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

To be fair mate, the consensus of everyone I know round here is that Durham were treated incredibly harshly and unfairly, totally out of proportion - I don't think the notion of DCCC being hard done by is the usual "woe is us" story!

To be fair mate, the consensus of everyone I know round here is that Durham were treated incredibly harshly and unfairly, totally out of proportion - I don't think the notion of DCCC being hard done by is the usual "woe is us" story!

I could not agree more mate, that they were treated badly, in fact I have said soo.

It was the statement that ' never again will a county be subject to the same as Durham' that I objected too.

Nobody can predict the future.

Remind me of the last county that was relegated, then given a 48 point deduction, points deductions in the one day and t20 competitions and had any prize money for three years withheld?

The same organisation which is ploughing millions into a format no one wanted and is a tapping up charter for the usual suspects in grounds that were full anyway for t20 games

All in the guise of spreading the game by restricting it to 8 locales in the country that were sold out anyway.

The objective, unbiased, view to take on your first point, is that quite obviously what Durham did must have been worse that what any other county had done in the past, hence more punishment than before.

However I do agree very harsh what happened, however the sensible view to me is that punishment although harsh was to set a precedent that they don't want this happening again , therefore Durham were unfortunate in that aspect.

But this argument that it was only because it was Durham! and that if another county done exactly the same at the same time, they would have got a diffrent punishment, because the ECB, dislike Durham more than any other county, I find childish and immature tbh.

Last edited:
I could not agree more mate, that they were treated badly, in fact I have said soo.

It was the statement that ' never again will a county be subject to the same as Durham' that I objected too.

Nobody can predict the future.

The objective, unbiased, view to take on your first point, is that quite obviously what Durham did must have been worse that what any other county had done in the past, hence more punishment than before.

However I do agree very harsh what happened, however the sensible view to me is that punishment although harsh was to set a precedent that they don't want this happening again , therefore Durham were unfortunate in that aspect.

But this argument that it was only because it was Durham! and that if another county done exactly the same at the same time, they would have got a diffrent punishment, because the ECB, dislike Durham more than any other county, I find childish and immature tbh.
Glamorgan are the same. They received £2 million, with no punishments

They no longer can host tests, Durham can no longer hold tests. Durham all those punishments on top, Glamorgan given £2 million

Glamorgan are the same. They received £2 million, with no punishments

They no longer can host tests, Durham can no longer hold tests. Durham all those punishments on top, Glamorgan given £2 million

I never knew you had access to all the documents at Glamorgan to state they the same?

No disrespect mate but you can’t possibly know they the same circumstances

I never knew you had access to all the documents at Glamorgan to state they the same?

No disrespect mate but you can’t possibly know they the same circumstances
They are in more debt than the seven million that Durham were and still are

You can see no comparison at all? They are a very similar size club to Durham, they have both had test status removed, Durham got hammered, Glamorgan got a sweetener of £2 million not to rock the boat

Sorry imo you are wrong on this one and are playing devils advocate for the sake of it.

They are in more debt than the seven million that Durham were and still are

You can see no comparison at all? They are a very similar size club to Durham, they have both had test status removed, Durham got hammered, Glamorgan got a sweetener of £2 million not to rock the boat

Sorry imo you are wrong on this one and are playing devils advocate for the sake of it.

I am sorry but once again it’s impossible for us to make a proper comparison because we simply do not know the exact goings on at Glamorgan or Durham either tbh.

And the common sense objective view to take is what Durham must have been worse than what Glamorgan did, hence the harsher punishment.

Rather than a childish they hate us more point of view.

Like I said earlier on the thread I

None of us are right or wrong on this because we can’t know though full goings on and investigations of both clubs.

Last edited:
8 test wins in the last eleven. I think people were quite balanced with our 7 tests to 1 results against India and Sri Lanka and should be now.
We are good at home due to the fact our bowlers are unplayable when conditions suit

Sri lanka are wank. Lets not count them .we are pitiful away from home

Test cricket in recent years has become too reliant on home conditions more than ever before imo.

As well as winning the toss as become massive in test matches.

White ball cricket is more of a level playing in the aspect of winning cricket matches by simply playing the best cricket rather than relying on your preferred conditions or getting the right and best use of the wicket which happens more in test cricket

Back