The Laughing Stock of World Cricket (AGAIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually prefer to give West Indies credit rather than pour scourn on England - who were really only guilty of poor shot selection at times combined with being a couple of players short of being a truly class side - not sure there is anyone to blame just the way things are at present. It could be worse, we could be Sri Lanka - a truly awful side shorn of any genuine quality bar Mathews. Media hype will always dictate England being the best or worse side in the world with very little in between.

The people who run it - MCC ham and egg ties and all that. I played cricket for 40 years and played against all these "nomadic" sides - Yorkshire Gents, Craven Gents, Hawks, Pilgrims, etc. You had to be invited into them - and the regional MCC side. Not many lads from Dawdon invited to play for them but a few from Durham Johnston and Barnard Castle no doubt.

While all that may be true, that has absolutely nothing to do with the current side whatsoever

I would actually prefer to give West Indies credit rather than pour scourn on England - who were really only guilty of poor shot selection at times combined with being a couple of players short of being a truly class side - not sure there is anyone to blame just the way things are at present. It could be worse, we could be Sri Lanka - a truly awful side shorn of any genuine quality bar Mathews. Media hype will always dictate England being the best or worse side in the world with very little in between.
Media hype has nothing to do with us having the worst results from a touring team in the West Indies for probably well over a decade.

We’ve been absolutely spanked by an average test match side. Absolutely no excuses for it.

Hmmm on reflection now I’ve calmed down.

We are not a million miles away from a being a very decent side. The Windies did a job on us well and truely. They have clearly put a lot of thought into this series with the pitches and how they want to get into England from the off.

That combined with winning the tosses and poor team selection & preparation from England has left us badly exposed.

The Ashes don’t start until late summer, there is plenty of time to find a couple of batsmen in the county game by then that could be the right fit to solidify our top order.

Winning away from home in test cricket is not, nor should it be easy. We will be a different proposition in the summer. Despite the doom and gloom right now it could be a glorious one that none of us ever forget....

Thank god for a bit of perspective, you think we had the worst side in the world reading this thread.

I haven't watched much of the cricket in recent times. But it's been coming since 2015.

Bayliss has worked wonders for our white ball cricket. But has muddled our top batsman, and not got them to adapt to playing all 3 forms.

His laidback approach has seen batting levels decline year on year. We haven't been able to bat test match innings in his time here, when have we honestly gritted out an innings, let alone to a draw where the pitch hasn't been a f***ing motorway(Melbourne)

Utterly embarrassing even though I'm glad to see the Windies resurgent. Batting has to change drastically and I don't see that happening under Bayliss or the sorry excuse that is county cricket in England.

And yet our answer to our poor selection process for years, we appoint Ashley Giles. A man who was utterly hopeless as England coach.

Fuck the ECB,fuck Bayliss and fuck Giles.

Spot on, it's a shame he isn't a coach.

Dobell has absolutely nailed this article like Outclassed and out-fought ...England's boy racers run out of road

Most of that is down to the cupboard of top class batsman been very very small, not sure Baylis should be blamed for that mind.

Bairstow has been out bowled 29 times in tests.

And yet people think he is top class :lol:

He is absolutely shoe in, and correctly so in that side,easily worth his place!

Another fucker thrown in too high in the order, along with many many others, just to keep our best batsman just one place lower ,and why?

To suit the team? No because our best batsman prefers 4, and rather than tell him to bat just one place higher, let’s chuck every fucker else there and see them fail time and time again to suit one batsman, and I thought cricket was supposed to be a team game!

Last edited:
Thank god for a bit of perspective, you think we had the worst side in the world reading this thread.

Most of that is down to the cupboard of top class batsman been very very small, not sure Baylis should be blamed for that mind.

He is absolutely shoe in, and correctly so in that side,easily worth his place!

Another fucker thrown in too high in the order, along with many many others, just to keep our best batsman just one place lower ,and why?

To suit the team? No because our best batsman prefers 4, and rather than tell him to bat just one place higher, let’s chuck every fucker else there and see them fail time and time again to suit one batsman, and I thought cricket was supposed to be a team game!
Bairstow has batted 3 tests as 3. That’s not 29 dismissals worth in about 100 innings.

Bairstow has batted 3 tests as 3. That’s not 29 dismissals worth in about 100 innings.

I know was just making the point, he is clearly worth his place in the side, when you compare him to other batsman in the country.

As well as taking another opportunity to say how uttlerly ridiculous it is imo, to have our best batsman near enough refusing to bat in the problem postition we have had over the last 3 years.

I know was just making the point, he is clearly worth his place in the side, when you compare him to other batsman in the country.

As well as taking another opportunity to say how uttlerly ridiculous it is imo, to have our best batsman near enough refusing to bat in the problem postition we have had over the last 3 years.
I’m not certain he is. He averages about 30 over the last 2 years

Stokes averages 25 since Bristol

I’m not certain he is. He averages about 30 over the last 2 years

Stokes averages 25 since Bristol

Wish people would look at clear talent and ability, over averages all the time, thought the Buttler debate,might have changed some of that thinking!

As a cricket fan and quite a knowledgable one as your other posts suggest, I would be very surprised if you really thought Bairstow was not one of the best 6 batsman in the country at the moment in test cricket?

I think he easily is quite comfortably!

Wish people would look at clear talent and ability, over averages all the time, thought the Buttler debate,might have changed some of that thinking!

As a cricket fan and quite a knowledgable one as your other posts suggest, I would be very surprised if you really thought Bairstow was not one of the best 6 batsman in the country at the moment in test cricket?

I think he easily is quite comfortably!
Whilst averages sometimes won’t tell the full story, having a middle order of players averaging mid 30s isn’t particularly great. The Buttler debate - well he still needs to start scoring big runs. Especially if he’s now a 5

Is he one of the best 6 in the country? Probably. That’s pretty damning.

Media hype has nothing to do with us having the worst results from a touring team in the West Indies for probably well over a decade.

We’ve been absolutely spanked by an average test match side. Absolutely no excuses for it.

8 test wins in the last eleven. I think people were quite balanced with our 7 tests to 1 results against India and Sri Lanka and should be now.

Whilst averages sometimes won’t tell the full story, having a middle order of players averaging mid 30s isn’t particularly great. The Buttler debate - well he still needs to start scoring big runs. Especially if he’s now a 5

Is he one of the best 6 in the country? Probably. That’s pretty damning.

Whether they are top class test class batsman is very much up for debate.

Whether Bairstow and Buttler are good enough to be currently in the test side is imo not!

Me personally I think it’s refreshing that selectors pick them two very talented cricketers rather than just looking at averages.

Last edited:
We've got some excellent players but they simply don't know how to apply themselves in test cricket. It's the reverse of the situation 6 years ago.

Test cricket is like chess, but we've got a hands-off coach whose master plan is 'go out there and play fearless cricket' and a captain who is still pretty raw and doesn't know how to use his fast bowlers. Fuck knows what the batting coach is doing, every player who joins this set up seems to lose all form.

As I said last winter, we were lucky to play India at home and SL away back to back, as neither had the potential to really test our flimsy batting.

We've got some excellent players but they simply don't know how to apply themselves in test cricket. It's the reverse of the situation 6 years ago.

Test cricket is like chess, but we've got a hands-off coach whose master plan is 'go out there and play fearless cricket' and a captain who is still pretty raw and doesn't know how to use his fast bowlers. Fuck knows what the batting coach is doing, every player who joins this set up seems to lose all form.

As I said last winter, we were lucky to play India at home and SL away back to back, as neither had the potential to really test our flimsy batting.

Is it every player joining up losing form, or not good enough to make the step up? has not helped when some of them in the past have been chucked in at the deep end at 3!

Whether they are top class test class batsman is very much up for debate.

Whether Bairstow and Buttler are good enough to be currently in the test side is imo not!

Me personally I think it’s refreshing that selectors pick them two very talented cricketers rather than just looking at averages.
Picking them is one thing yes. They did that with Vaughan and Trescothick for example.

But at the moment, neither have delivered on their talent.

Compare to an England middle order of 10 years ago. Trott, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior all averaged in the 40s. Root aside, we now have no one.

Picking them is one thing yes. They did that with Vaughan and Trescothick for example.

But at the moment, neither have delivered on their talent.

Compare to an England middle order of 10 years ago. Trott, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior all averaged in the 40s. Root aside, we now have no one.

Exactly that’s my point, that’s why they both shoe in’s in the side for me.

Very talented cricketers like those should be given extra chances and extra time, Buttler could have easily been left out for good, which would have been the wrong decision with his talent imo.

Last edited:
Bairstow has been out bowled 29 times in tests.

And yet people think he is top class :lol:
He is top class, no doubt in my mind. I did seriously doubt the thinking that lead him to bat at 3 (and lose the gloves).

I dunno. Why isn't doing the simple thing like bat you middle order players in the middle order so difficult. (we do have top order players, maybe not the best but better having them in the top order than shoeing a middle order player in there).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back